What else do you do for money if you do something else?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:16 pm

Its fusterating to here people say accrost to ofTen.
Harumph!

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:36 pm

MASSIVE Mastering wrote:Ever since the male prostitution thing started drying up (after I started losing more hair), I've pretty much been immersed in audio around 80 hours a week.
And here I thought I was the only one. :D

Um, yeah, so this is what I do - hang around on the ol' message board and get paid for it.
Oh, and there's that whole 'running the studio at the University' thing. It's fun, but my free time and social life seemed more plentiful when I installed home theater systems.

-Jeremy

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:51 pm

Tatertot wrote:Colloquial spelling is a whole other deal though.
Thanks for not saying "whole nother". Man, I hate that. :lol:

sonic dogg
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonic dogg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:49 am

I am a commercial/industrial electrician. It pays well, but you are always under someones gun. Design-build and project management is where I need to go with this but ya get complacent when the work is happening.

As for music....I own my own studio...Yeah its a home built thing but not without character and sound quality. I make records with my song-writing mates and play in a classic rock band most weekends. I'm looking for songwriters and projects right now as I also have a fledgling record label(doesnt everone). I've had two small commercial venues with partners and have been recording for over 20 years. Thats behind the board...lots more if you count all the demos and crap I've done as talent and sideman. At this point I'm more of a producer/arranger and then engineer, even though I'm able to do whats needed.

Busy??? Who me?
Owner/ dishwasher @ Drool'nDoggRecords

Artist psycho-therapist/Priest

Wonderin where the lions are....

spomer
audio school graduate

Re: What else do you do for money if you do something else?

Post by spomer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:14 pm

I am a broadcast engineer for a local television station, which is a fancy way to say I fix things when they break, edit tape, and play with a unix server all day.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:20 pm

And you're in central Illinois...perfect for our sometime-in-the-future central IL Tape Op beer night.

spomer
audio school graduate

tape op beer night, C Illinois

Post by spomer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:35 pm

you bet your ass im in C. Illinois.

finally someone who understands how badass it is to be an engineer in the flatlands.

hit me up whenever on PM or johnwspomer on AIM

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:42 am

I'm a full time EMT-B for the lovely commonwealth of Moshachusetts, which I have found to be an awesome job if your a audio/regording bubba. I have a 2 day work week (a 24 and a 16) and almost make a halfway deacent amount of $$$ (fortunetly I can get overtime when ever I want it). One of the biggest perks aside from the 5 day weekend is all the wonderfull soundproofing stuff that hospitals can provide.

Other than that I try to run my label, studio, live sound, and my CD duplication company.

Metal Rules,
-Ethan

bitsyras
pluggin' in mics

Post by bitsyras » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:30 am

I'm a certified Master Auto Tech at a nice honest little repair shop. I'm not really a "car guy" but I have a talent for fixing the things. That was my fallback position after the dotcom crash when I lost my job as a web geek. I don't miss the office life. The money's ok but it can be physically and mentally taxing. And loud. I keep earplugs around my neck at all times to protect what I've got left. Gotta watch the fingers too. Sometimes I'll do a bit of freelance web stuff and for a while I did sound at a church. I've been a bike messenger, and once worked with in a factory with a bunch of junkies producing spiked black leather fashion accessories. I made a bit of money playing in a band for a while, but not much.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:22 pm

I cut up big trees and stick them in little boxes and send them all over the world for people to build violins out of....

Here's the gig....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:29 pm

tonewoods wrote:I cut up big trees and stick them in little boxes and send them all over the world for people to build violins out of....

Here's the gig....
Is that you in the picture?
Nice looking wood,,,and I thought there was only LMI for wood.
Next time I build a guitar I'm looking you up.
Harumph!

wenley
takin' a dinner break

Post by wenley » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:26 am

I work several days a week at a nursing home with residents who have Alzheimer's. I get to play music with them, and anything else I can think of to keep their minds sharp. I also do the odd computer/web gig, play in two bands, and work as an assistant engineer here in Brooklyn. Speaking of that, how's about another Brooklyn Beer Night at O'Connor's? Ubertar, you in?

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:44 pm

wenley wrote:I work several days a week at a nursing home with residents who have Alzheimer's. I get to play music with them, and anything else I can think of to keep their minds sharp. I also do the odd computer/web gig, play in two bands, and work as an assistant engineer here in Brooklyn. Speaking of that, how's about another Brooklyn Beer Night at O'Connor's? Ubertar, you in?
toads. o'connor's is harder to get to these days though... i've relocated to bushwick.

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 pm

i work with the mentally handicapped (DD as well in the biz say). think THE BOYS NEXT DOOR (play). Only i don't get to go to washington dc. somedays it's great....like i was in the van with one of my guys and he was telling me that Kansas played dust in the wind, and being polite i go "oh really i didn't know that" and he tells me "stick with us and we'll educate you, bud' so i've been there since.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:26 pm

ataraxia thats awesome!

If this whole musician/recording engineer doesn't pan out, I will probably just work with the mentally handicapped or become a masseuse. I just want to play music, travel, and help people or just make people feel better (god i sound like such a hippie). I think there is lots of negativity in the world and I don't want to conciously add to it if I don't have to.

So right now other things I do besides record bands at my house, I just started working at a local guitar instrution/recording studio. My main job is their secretary, but I will be recording there in the future once i start bring bands in there. I also help my Dad deliver narcotics to old people, but that is rough. The shifts last from 8-10s hours (depending on how fast were are). I also dumpster dive and sell the things I find. I am thinking about maybe getting a 3rd shift job at a hotel for the winter and just save up a ton of cash and pay off my bills...