Classic Studio Chatter....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jzombie
ass engineer

Post by jzombie » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:30 pm

though not technically studio chatter, this paul anka tape is unbelievable...

http://www.noisetank.com/integrity/

one of my all-time favorites is a hidden track at the end of the cd re-issue of Notorious Byrd Brothers - some classic David Crosby ranting...

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:43 am

Wasn't there a Pinky and the Brain homage to the Orsen Welles commercial that is part of the 365 days project? Just that someone thought to put a parody of that together usually puts a smile on my face.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:08 am

some English bloke slurring out a version of "Please Please Me"...
It gets cut off at the end, but he goes on to say how he could have written a better bridge....
I would bet good money that that "English bloke slurring out a version of "Please Please Me" is Keith Richards. First of all it's really good, especially around 44 seconds when starts playing those alternate chords and when he sings "like I please you" is really cool.

And ya know he's right he probably could have written a better bridge.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:14 am

Keef it is....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:26 pm

Holding Pattern wrote:How about this one of Murray Wilson "producing" help me rhonda.
Holy shit. Can you imagine a more effective vibe killer?
I don't know karate but I know ka-razy!

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:49 pm

Catoogie wrote:And ya know he's right he probably could have written a better bridge.
I don't see anything wrong with that bridge... I think it works great... I do think, however, that whomever it is plunking the tune -- keef or no keef -- it sounds great... John's orignal idea for the song was to be a slower "Roy Orbison" tune, anyhow, so it's more in the spirit of that...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:00 pm

cgarges wrote:
drumsound wrote:A friend in college had a tape of Ray's bass player freaking out on stage. Ray keeps asking for security.
That's the one I'm looking for. I notice they left THAT out of the movie.
drumsound wrote:Chris do you have the Buddy Rich Bitch Tapes?
Yeah, I've had those for a long time. Have you ever seen the comic book-like cartoons that were drawn of those? Again, hilarious.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
The cartoon is funny but nothing is better than the audio!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:19 pm

numberthirty wrote:Wasn't there a Pinky and the Brain homage to the Orsen Welles commercial that is part of the 365 days project? Just that someone thought to put a parody of that together usually puts a smile on my face.
I've got a Pinky out take from a reel of used tape I bought years ago. I didn't have the time to copy the reels, but there two tapes of Anamainiacs and two of Batman animated series.

MAR
audio school graduate

Post by MAR » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:52 am

There was an absolutely BRILLIANT compilation of Studio Chatter from Nash Kato when recording Urge Overkill's Exit The Dragon. All of his 'musings' between failed takes, all edited down...one after the other. AWESOME! Anyone out there ever here this?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:00 am

Among officially released stuff, nothing beats the Elvis Presley et al. "Million Dollar Quartet" disk. It's true 1950s (1960s?) audio heaven. Check it out from your local library and enjoy for yourself.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:34 am

tonewoods wrote: Here's some English bloke slurring out a version of "Please Please Me"...
It gets cut off at the end, but he goes on to say how he could have written a better bridge
Awesome.
beware bee wear

ideaofnorth
takin' a dinner break

Post by ideaofnorth » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:40 am

another vote for murray. and the troggs. dubba-dubba-cha.

i have a jackie mclean album called "long drink of the blues", in which they start the opening track, which falls apart after 30sec or so, and is followed by a few minutes of bickering about the arrangement. after which they launch into it again. great way to start an album.

http://www.emusic.com/album/10592/10592495.html

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:39 pm

Nobody's mentioned the infamous Oasis brothers fighting for like 45 minutes. Wasn't it released as a bootleg or on some single as a hidden track? You guys are helping me pass a very long day at work... keep those audio links comming! These are great!
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:52 pm

Thelonius Monk interrupts Milt Jackson's intro to ask when Miles wants him to come in. They reportedly had some conflict because Miles didn't want Monk to comp behind his solo. He got his wish on most of tunes on that record.

The Man I Love
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:04 pm

Does the ringing control room telephone in Led Zeppelin's (some song on III I believe) count? There was some other interruption as well in a Zepp song if I remember correctly...
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.