Joe Meek VQ3

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mzkguy
alignin' 24-trk

Joe Meek VQ3

Post by Mzkguy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:09 pm

Anyone out there have any opinions about the new and old Joe Meek VQ3's. I know that they're not following the old design & some folks say they don't sound as good. Did they sound good at all?
Mzkguy

alanhyatt
pluggin' in mics

Re: Joe Meek VQ3

Post by alanhyatt » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:06 pm

Mzkguy wrote:Anyone out there have any opinions about the new and old Joe Meek VQ3's. I know that they're not following the old design & some folks say they don't sound as good. Did they sound good at all?

Different strokes for different folks. Most of the guys who have done reviews on the older ones and the new ones like the new ones better. See Steve Murphy's review in PAR. http://www.proaudioreview.com/january05 ... reeQ.shtml

There were many improvements on the new units, but some guys like the new Corvette's and others just wont part with their 1967 427 Vette.

The new ones are more flexible, and have more features. We think it sounds better but that does not hold true for all people. The old units were a one trick pony...meaning they did one sound really good. The new ones does a good deal more...

Not sure if this will help you or not, but saying some folks say the new ones dont sound as good is opinion, not fact. In the meantime, the new units are selling faster than the old ones have. So there must be something to them.
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
Joemeek - Studio Projects - Toft Audio Designs - Valley People - Stephen Paul Microphones
Gardena, CA 90247
toll free: 877-563-6335 fax: 310-323-9050
url: www.pmiaudio.com e-mail: alan@pmiaudio.com

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:32 pm

Please please please Alan! Not another pissing match!

Any actual civilian users out there?

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:27 pm

I have the the british meek -
it's got the MOJO baby...lol
makes everything sound like telstar.
I really like the plug in actually for top end brightness.

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:28 pm

isn?t there an inherent conflict of interest when a distributor of a product offers a review of a product he distributes? especially when the old products are still on the market through private exchange? would not some people avoid doing business with people like this?

what is the telstar reference?
drew

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:19 am

Conflict of interest: Bingo. I was about to purchase a threeq last month when I found this:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... q&&start=0

I decided that given the bad vibes of this long thread I would stay away from so-called "Joe Meek" products. It was sort of interesting to skim once but it certainly did not make me want to donate my hard-earned cash to either of these cats.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:58 am

Tatertot wrote:Conflict of interest: Bingo. I was about to purchase a threeq last month when I found this:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... q&&start=0

I decided that given the bad vibes of this long thread I would stay away from so-called "Joe Meek" products. It was sort of interesting to skim once but it certainly did not make me want to donate my hard-earned cash to either of these cats.
I think there is a bit of conflict of interest here, but hey we all have a right to plug our stuff. :lol:

What in any of these threads makes you opposed to giving money to alanhyatt's corporation? Please point it out??

I have a threeQ, I use it rarely, at least someone at this level at joemeek is paying attention to us AND responding. Most companys I have worked for wont even allow ppl to respond without talking to 6 or 8 attorneys

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:55 am

I refer specifically to the mudslinging between Alan Hyatt and Ted Fletcher in that earlier thread I referenced. It's ugly and it causes me to lose interest in the Joemeek products.

Anyway, for all I've heard about the real Joe Meek's paranoia about his employees stealing his ideas, I bet he'd be FURIOUS that they're using his name on products that he did not design.

That's all I have to say about this topic. Flame me if you must. Fair is fair. These are just my opinions.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

w

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:01 am

I'm borrowing a VQ3 right now and I'm not that fond of it. Perhaps this one is a little....fucked up, but I'm finding it to be very noisy, and yes, the building has clean power and everything is matched, and somewhat shrill. I'm also having a hard time getting a competent gain scructure together on it, regardless of the mic I'm using. I imagine it might work alright for vox, and probably for guitar even more so, but as a drum mic pre, I really don't like it.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:15 am

Tatertot wrote:I refer specifically to the mudslinging between Alan Hyatt and Ted Fletcher in that earlier thread I referenced. It's ugly and it causes me to lose interest in the Joemeek products.

Anyway, for all I've heard about the real Joe Meek's paranoia about his employees stealing his ideas, I bet he'd be FURIOUS that they're using his name on products that he did not design.

That's all I have to say about this topic. Flame me if you must. Fair is fair. These are just my opinions.
I'm sorry if I came off as if I were Flaming you, None was intended. Its hard to convey emotion with these type s of communication. If I offended I am sorry.

I'm sure if we knew the true history of many companies there were much worse going on. They must have deleted some posts, I didn't see much mud, just some guys that were defensive about their roles in these products, but nothing I would even pretend to know enough about to make any judgement call.

Again I didn't mean any offense, just thought I missed something in the original thread.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:34 am

No offense taken. I didn't really sense any flaming in your post. Rather, I was steeling myself against anticipated future flames from others.

It's good to see a couple of actual user reviews scattered in this thread. Nothing so far has rekindled my interest in these products. It seems like the most common review is "I have one that I never use very much", unless you're reading a review from Alan himself and then he's comparing it to a Corvette.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:05 am

I liked this messageboard better when it wasn't gearslutz.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:55 pm

For whut it's worth, and I neither know nor care what Hyatt or T. Fletcher sell or say, I'm rather in love with my li'l ol' VC3Q.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Post by OneZero » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:59 pm

I really loved my Vee Cee Three (an old one) when it was the only mic-pre I had besides the pres on my VLZ-1202. But then I bought a FMR Audio RNP and haven't touched the Meek thing since. I think though, after reading this thread, I'll give it another try...maybe on vocals,
I have some really horrible gear!!!

junkyardtodd
gettin' sounds

Post by junkyardtodd » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:30 pm

The VC3Q is the best pre I have*, and I really like it for everything, but then I truly do not know jack poop. It seems quiet and warm. I make a point to not use it on everything, but especially for vox I love it. It makes me sound good in the cans, which is no easy trick.

*becuz i am a dipshit

Oh yeah, I got it on clearance, like 3 years ago. Would that make it an old one?
Yes, I am one of THOSE people, up in the attic, trying to recreate the magical sounds of my youth (cheap trick, boston, pavement) on the family 8 track recorder.