Wendy Carlos' Recording Tips for the Beginner

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:05 am

Dood... Clockwork Orange, Tron and The Shining...

Sweet.

Man, Some of the eclipse photos and information on her site a pretty awesome too.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:43 pm

my dad got me into WC's stuff years ago. i remembering seeing the album cover for S-OB2 when i was little. weird. i think i remember him having the original S-OB cover with a pissed off Bach obviously thinking "WTF IS THIS????" oh, and ive got CBS's purist version of S-OB, titled Switched-Off Bach as well. found it at a thrift store. heres a link a story on the album covers. http://www.endlessgroove.com/issue1/switch.htm
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

dsw
tinnitus

Wendy Carlos

Post by dsw » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:42 pm

Back in the 70's when SOB was coming out (pun intended?? ) Wendy did an interview with Playboy Magazine that was very complete and revealing. She related how she never felt right in her skin and how she had a miserable childhood.
I can see how after 30 years one might get a litttle tired of talking about something that is extremely personal. Especially when it hasn't got anything to do with your creative field
If you could find the article in the library, you'd find it very interesting reading.
I wish I knew what year it was, but alas, I smoked those memory cells away back then.

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:07 pm

hey inverse. i hope you get the interview too. just be super respectful, meaning please respect her wishes about what she wants to be discussed or not discussed regarding her personally, since she's known to be sensitive about it. this is not about anyone "having the right" to say something or not, of course we all have the right, it's about being polite.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:17 pm

jajjguy wrote:hey inverse. i hope you get the interview too. just be super respectful, meaning please respect her wishes about what she wants to be discussed or not discussed regarding her personally, since she's known to be sensitive about it. this is not about anyone "having the right" to say something or not, of course we all have the right, it's about being polite.
Honestly, I wouldn't be interested in talking to HER about that stuff. I wanna talk about music.

But she totally did not respond to the email :?

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:14 pm

here's some rare photographs of wendy back in the day
http://www.robinsonarchive.com/Photogra ... es=2&pc=11

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:09 pm

after seeing those i can almost accept the idea that she has always been a woman and just faked being a man because some industry bullshit.

anyway does anyone know of any interviews with her talking about her working with Mr. Kubrick? that would be an interesting read.

thesimulacre
takin' a dinner break

Post by thesimulacre » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:49 am

I picked up a well-worn copy of "Wendy Carlos and The Well-Tempered Synthesizer" at a Goodwill outlet store (everything's a dollar!) a couple of years ago, and never read the insert until today. Thanks for making me break out some of this good stuff from Wendy. :lol:

"Who in the electronic music media of a couple of years ago would have guessed that the synthesizer, one of the most effective devices for producing electronic music, could ever become a popular term?"

...or this...

"But the flexibility of the synthesizer is like a two-edged sword: For every detail and parameter you can control, you must control. To that end, it is not uncommon that the work load be divided between several people--keyboard player, arranger, synthesizer programmer, recording engineers and mixers. Insofar as I have always objected to 'art by committee,' I have attempted to take on all these jobs in order to obtain a more unified and personal expression."

I think there's a lesson in that for all of us...especially the guys a couple threads down in the "I'm not anal enough to be a mix engineer" thread.

I guess we are "still striving toward that 'state-of-the-art perfection that may lie several years away." The present is so bright, I used to wear shades. 8)