Jack White interview

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Sassi
audio school graduate

Jack White interview

Post by Sassi » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:39 pm

I think its time to a big interview wich Jack White about production.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:06 pm

Hear, Hear!!!

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:37 pm

Like what? Don't hire a session bass player, keep that hack chick drummer and sing god awful to lame guitar riffs? Not much production, really.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:47 pm

I'm currently really enjoying 'The Union Forever' - kind of reminds me of the pixies, especially vocally.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:54 pm

ctmsound wrote:Like what? Don't hire a session bass player
remember, now,using a pitch shifter to play guitar in the "bass" frequency range isn't the same as putting "bass" guitar on your album. Everybody knows "bass" doesn't refer to the frequency range of an instrument, it refers to whether there's only four strings and it says "bass" on the headstock. There's no "bass" guitar on White Stripes records, perish the thought.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:04 pm

Like what? Don't hire a session bass player, keep that hack chick drummer and sing god awful to lame guitar riffs? Not much production, really.
Are you kidding me? Does the fact that she is a "chick" make her more of a hack.
You may not like the White Stripes, but they have actually brought "Rock" back to to rock and roll. I'd take them over just about anything on the radio. At least it's honest.
You need to look outside your box my friend...

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:54 pm

I look plenty out of the box, thank you. That band still sucks ass and they certainly have not added to rock and roll except for turn up the suck knob. So does 99% of radio play, if you wanna open that can of worms...

...the gender doesn't matter. She's just a shitty drummer.

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:57 pm

The White Stripes I am sure are going to be a love em or hate em thing around here. I think they sound great, i think the kick drums are totally old school - big and thuddy which is a very refreshing departure from most contemporary rock production. I would be very interested in hearing what they have to say.

mattmlpdx
ass engineer

Fresh Air Interview

Post by mattmlpdx » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:10 pm

This of course doesn't focus soley on recording, but it's a pretty cool interview and has some recording information regarding Get Behind Me Satan, which I have been listening to non-stop for 6 or 8 weeks now. I think it's an amazing record.

http://icdweb.cc.purdue.edu/%7Egcerbus/ ... %20NPR.mp3

I've always felt a bit guilty about liking White Stripes for some stupid reason, but with this record I feel like I can shed that guilt (wherever it comes from). The sounds are great, it sounds like an old rock record, it's not perfect in the technical sense but totally inspired and live sounding... I could go on and on. Most of all, I feel like Jack White blended what he had going on before , added his experience on the awesome Loretta Lynn record he did, threw in a minimalist Kill The Moonlight vibe and came up with something much more distinctive than he'd ever done.

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:54 pm

I've been really enjoying the latest album as well. Some people may not like their style, and that's perfectly fine, but I really appreciate the fact that I can put this record on and hear people making music. This record, unlike too many others that are being put out these days, is REAL. You can't fuck with that.

-steve

ps- thanks for posting that interview, mattmlpdx

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:30 am

Thanks for the "Fresh Air" link!!!
Cool stuff.

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:59 am

here's another vote for a Jack White interview. that Loretta Lynn album is f'ing great and 'Get Behind Me Satan' has been a fav of mine this last year. yes i agree, Meg's a pretty rotten drummer (because she's a rotten drummer, not because she's a she), but somehow it works, and that's what i love about music and recording. sometimes you can grow flowers with shit. i think they were pretty lucky to get the break they got initially, but they continued to do cool shit. even when there were rumors that 'Elephant' (also a great album) was going to be the last album. seems like Jack's evolved a lot in music.

as for no bass, isn't there a few songs on elephant and the one before it that actually had bass on it? i might be full of shit, but i thought they used bass on recordings, just sparingly. i have no problems with bass-less music. look a the Black Keys. talk about a curious recording sound ... i'd love to know what went in to making 'the Big Come Up'.

Justin
Bipolar Production

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:09 am

I'm definitely in the pro-interview camp. I love the band, I especially love Get Behind Me Satan, and I love Meg's drumming. I think the band would suck with a session bass player and a session drummer in the same way that, say, Iggy Pop's live shows for the last 20 years have had a definite suck factor to them because he's using a backing band of pros - even though *he* kicks ass and pretty much singlehandedly makes up for the suck factor of having a hired-gun band.

Plus, whether it was "production genius" or just Jack White being himself and making things sound his, Loretta Lynn's "Van Lear Rose" is, by far, one of the the best, and best sounding, country records to come out in many years.

Yeah, 99% of what's on commercial radio sucks. Personally, I think that the White Stripes are part of the 1% that don't. Actually, I'm not sure what other rock bands are in that 1%....

What else did I like in 2005? Six Organs of Admittance, Brian Eno, M.I.A., the Love, Peace & Poetry Turkish Psychedelic comp CD, Animal Collective, Mugison, Vetiver - and Get Behind Me Satan is definitely in that list of favorite 2005 stuff too, and maybe at or near the top.

As for feeling guilty about liking the band, I don't. What's f'ed up is when I've mentioned really liking Get Behind Me Satan to a few hipster types who have decided not to like the band because it wouldn't seem cool, and not because they've actually listened to the record, but nonetheless, they've *expected me* to be embarrassed about it! At least one of them became a convert, much to his surprise, after listening.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:38 pm

Actually I like Meg's drumming better than Jack's songs. Let's get her to make a record with Mo Tucker, with songs by Marilyn Manson, & Brian Eno producing.
I'd buy that record.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:12 pm

look a the Black Keys. talk about a curious recording sound ... i'd love to know what went in to making 'the Big Come Up'.
Black Keys rule
that Loretta Lynn album is f'ing great
I love it too

I'd like to hear some of Jack's ideas on recording
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."