Favorite film soundtracks?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

holidayhell
pluggin' in mics

Post by holidayhell » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:16 pm

The Sting

How can you not love Joplin. And what Hamlisch did with the other pieces like Listen to the Mockingbird. Fantastic.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:26 pm

Yann Tiersen - Amelie, Goodbye Lenin
Michael Nyman - The Piano
Jon Brion - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Thomas Newman - Shawshank Redemption
Air - Virgin Suicides

Among many. I like movie soundtracks.
I am wangtacular.

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:06 am

So I just saw American Psycho today (the updated version). And while I didn't really think the movie was all to great, I liked the score. Kind of reminded me of some of the Bartok stuff I'm studying right now.

bejeeber
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bejeeber » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:18 am

Thomas Newman
  • American Beauty
    Road To Perdition
Danny Elfmann
  • Edward Scissorhands

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:40 pm

two that I enjoy:

Rota-Giulietta degli Spiriti

Ellington-Anatomy of a Murder

The Ellington is not so great as a soundtrack, but it is a great soundtrack album.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:12 pm

I''ll third the Susperia soundtrack... most of that early Goblin stuff on the Argento films is pretty unique music. Deep Red, Inferno, all that stuff.

No mention of The Godfather?! Truly moving.

Tron! I love that crazy angular Wendy Carlos melody. Moog heaven.

And a little more on the cheesy side, let's not forget Queen/Vangelis on the Flash Gordon soundtrack...

FLASH! (boom) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
He'll save every one of us!

AWESOME!

[<|>]

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:11 am

The soundtrack for Kurosawa's Yohjimbo is always been a favorite of mine. There's also a soundtrack record that came out for a fake Logan's Run sequel that was done by some of the Jellyfish and Redd Kros guy's. The liner notes contain a basic synopsis of said film. Jason Falkner is on one song and appears to play the main character in the photos in the liner notes. For the Ry Cooder fans, The Long Riders is one of my favorites. The Backbeat soundtrack just for Greg Dulli and Dave Pirner. They are showing people how it should be done on that.

myphx
audio school graduate

Post by myphx » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:48 am

Apocalypse Now....

And not just the reworking of "The End", but all the atmospheric ethereal stuff, too. Wow....gotta dig that out, now.

Some of the guitar sounds were done by a Hendrix impersonator from the 1980's named Randy Hanson. I especially like the ending music while the credits roll. Also the atmospheric stuff was done by Mickey Hart, who also did the music to the PBS Vietnam War series that came out a few years after.

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:17 pm

myphx wrote:Apocalypse Now....

Some of the guitar sounds were done by a Hendrix impersonator from the 1980's named Randy Hanson.
Strangely enough, Randy Hanson is still doing the Hendrix thing.
As for other soundtracks, the Wicker Man soundtrack is pretty cool.
Also, some of the Leslie Bricusse stuff from the 60's & late 70's is fun (Scrooge, Willy Wonka).

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:49 am

One of my favourites is the soundtrack to "O Lucky Man!", by Alan Price. Great songs, many of which he sings in the movie with a small band in a rehearsal-type setting.

trumpetgunk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by trumpetgunk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:44 am

The soundtrack to the Pixar movie, "The Incredibles." Great, real orchestra tracks. Nice special feature on the recording of it on the DVD. I also liked the incidental music on "Monster's Inc."

I might get flamed for this because they stole everything from everywhere but the soundtrack from "Moulin Rouge" is a great ride. There are just some really clever uses of song lyrics in there.

"Hedwig and the Angry Inch" - great rock opera.

Old Clint Eastwood movie: "The Gauntlet" - Jon Faddis playing over the last scene.

I always loved the soundtrack to "The Untouchables." There are some really great themes in there.

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:03 pm

I just saw a great old one by Jacques Tati called "Mon Oncle", and the music was great; not sure of the composer, but if anyone knows who it is (and where to point me toward anything similar), I'd appreciate it. The film is a kick, too.

Frank

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:45 am

JAWS!!!! I still hear it every time I go swimming, that's effective music

Pulp Fiction

Dead Man =amazing stuff, makes it worth sitting through a truly bizzarre movie

Star Wars, the imperial death march!

Beetlejuice; anything Danny Elfman

2001 and a Clockwork Orange

The Big Chill= Grapevine and you can't always get what you want is so perfect

I guess The Wall and Purple Rain don't count?
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

cornandsoy
ass engineer

Post by cornandsoy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:57 am

Everyone has posted some really great stuff here. Badalamenti, Morricone -- brilliant. To add to the fire:

James Horner's score for "Glory". Yes, Horner is a hack. But holy shit; the Harlem Boys Choir! These pieces are beautiful and a serious emotional trainwreck. I can't listen to this without becoming completely immersed.

Boxhead Ensemble's score to "Dutch Harbor: Where the Sea Breaks It's Back". Beautiful and meditative, so slow as to be almost a hibernation theme. Stark, bone-deep string arrangements and drones. The work has contributions from Jim O'Rourke, David Grubbs, Ken Vandermark, Douglas McCombs and Will Oldham. By extension, their <i>live</i> touring score to the film ("The Last Place To Go") is amazing, as well.

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:18 am

Another John Williams vote:
The Schindler's List soundtrack/score is really beautiful and tremendously moving. The Itzhak Perlman violin solos are pretty breathtaking and humbling in their emotion and musicianship.