Pro Tools 6.9 Question (Button Mapping)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Pro Tools 6.9 Question (Button Mapping)

Post by MechaGodzilla » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:09 pm

Heyo,
So I'm sitting here comping vocal tracks, and I'm wondering, is there any way to map the channel mute buttons to some keys? It would be so freakin' slick to have these 4 vocal takes' mute buttons on the keyboard, instead of mousing around.

I know you can do it in Logic... Any ideas?

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:47 pm

You could group the tracks and then muting one will mute them all.

You could also automate the track mutes from the edit window.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:27 pm

If you are trying to switch between one of each of 4 vocal takes there is a slick way you can set that up in protools so that hitting the solo on one mutes the other 3 while leaving the other tracks unmuted. I dont even know if this is what you are trying to do but....uh...you know.

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:41 pm

I usually just keep the vocal on one track and create a new playlist for every take. then when I comp, I create a new track usually named "vocalcomp" then do a buss send to that track from the one i'm editing. This, as far as i know is the easiest and most used method.

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Post by MechaGodzilla » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:02 am

Usually I track vocals with playlists, then give each playlist it's own track when I start editing, so I can see every take. But I get lazy, and it's a pain having to use the mouse to mute and unmute tracks to compare takes. Almost everything else can be done with a keystroke somewhere, so what I'm trying to figure out is how to map a keystroke to those silly mute buttons.
I know there's got to be a way, right?

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:07 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:Usually I track vocals with playlists, then give each playlist it's own track when I start editing, so I can see every take. But I get lazy, and it's a pain having to use the mouse to mute and unmute tracks to compare takes. Almost everything else can be done with a keystroke somewhere, so what I'm trying to figure out is how to map a keystroke to those silly mute buttons.
I know there's got to be a way, right?
I think you're sayin you want to have a separate key, lets say, "a, s, d, f," control the mute on 4 separate tracks, lets say, "1, 2, 3, 4"??? is that right? If so...I doubt it man. That's where control surfaces come in, it's a lot faster to hit three mute buttons with your finger, which is what it sounds like you wanna do, than to mouse around for them. So if I understood you right, look into gettin one of those mackie (insert whatever name of the mackie control surfaces here)? (if it'll work with PT, I'm not sure about that but it'd be a good idea)
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:47 pm

I just playlist every take so I can just flip between them and "comp in place."
I make a new playlist called comp, and copy the best take into that to start. If I HAVE to be able to see the tracks all at once, I just put the playlisted audio on a few separate tracks and then un latch the solo's so one cancels the other. That way whichever one you solo mutes the others. You can still shift click to hear two at once.

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:11 pm

joel hamilton wrote:If I HAVE to be able to see the tracks all at once, I just put the playlisted audio on a few separate tracks and then un latch the solo's so one cancels the other. That way whichever one you solo mutes the others. You can still shift click to hear two at once.
hmmmm...how do you do that? I don't think I've done that before.
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Pro Tools 6.9 Question (Button Mapping)

Post by knobtwirler » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:12 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:Heyo,
So I'm sitting here comping vocal tracks, and I'm wondering, is there any way to map the channel mute buttons to some keys? It would be so freakin' slick to have these 4 vocal takes' mute buttons on the keyboard, instead of mousing around.

I know you can do it in Logic... Any ideas?
Pro Tools is not that advanced.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:05 am

snuffinthepunk wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:If I HAVE to be able to see the tracks all at once, I just put the playlisted audio on a few separate tracks and then un latch the solo's so one cancels the other. That way whichever one you solo mutes the others. You can still shift click to hear two at once.
hmmmm...how do you do that? I don't think I've done that before.
It is under preferences>operation>solo [gives you the option to choose "latching" or momentary, or "...cancels.." the "cancels" one. Basically just NOT latching.

Look in prefs. i cant seem to remember what the actual stupid wording is in the prefs..... it is easy.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:18 am

If you want to see it detailed in print I think there might be a sub chapter on it in a book called "the protools guide for musicians" I hope thats right. I read once(at the bookstore), figured out how to do it and then forgot it. I dont do a huge amount of comping so it was kind of a gee whiz thing for me, but it is detailed in print if you need to see it mapped out.

bridge audio
audio school

Post by bridge audio » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:41 am

...but there is...

http://www.mackie.com/products/mcu/

I tried to upload the picture here but it didn't work, it's probly too big.

This is what you're looking for. There's a couple companies that provide control surfaces like this that are totally functional with ProTools, Logic, Nuendo, Reason, etc. It's all about the HUI.

-Jon

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:54 am

One possible workaround- double click a track to highlight all its regions, and press CTRL+M. This will not mute the track but will mute the regions in the track. Not the same thing but if you're trying to move fast it works fine.

The Icon's custom faders feature made o/d-ing to multiple tracks for comping a breeze, so I personally never developed the habit of using playlists to make a comp.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:15 pm

I used my bcf2000 tonight for comping vox. It makes it insane easy. I just set it up like Joel said so that the individual takes did the solo/exclude thing and deactivated the mutes on the other tracks. I pretty much hate digi as an entity, but the pt/bcf combo is very,very slick. I think mine (bcf2000) was just a shade over $100.