Bomb Squad

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Bomb Squad

Post by kayagum » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:44 am

Wow- the Hank Shocklee article is the best one I've read in the mag in a long while. Great balance between tech, musicianship, production and economics. Outstanding! This should also put to rest some of the sporadic complaints of not enough hip/hop angle. He's taken George Martin to the next level.

Talk about a great studio booking doubleheader: "It Takes a Nation of Millions" immediately followed by "Dayrdream Nation". (Greene St. Studio, 1988, correct?)

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:06 am

Thanks! We were excited to get him in Tape Op!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:10 pm

Yeah, seconded. Hank Shocklee rules. I can't believe that they did all that stuff without sequencing! Nuts! Really makes ya think.

More like that, please!

Tomas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tomas » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:28 am

Great interview!!! I'd be very interested in more hip hop oriented articles and interviews like this one....

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:55 am

apropos of nothing wrote:Yeah, seconded. Hank Shocklee rules. I can't believe that they did all that stuff without sequencing! Nuts! Really makes ya think.
More like that, please!
abosolutely, this was the most interesting thing i've seen in a long time!

DJ RELAX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DJ RELAX » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:59 am

i co-sign everrything said above, best tape-op article in a while.

Tomas
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Bomb Squad

Post by Tomas » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:13 am

kayagum wrote:This should also put to rest some of the sporadic complaints of not enough hip/hop angle.
I don't think people complain, but it's true that articles about hip hop are not very frequent.

I understand that a lot of it is because these days it's about pluging in a Triton and turning up the volume nob :D, which is not very interesting to the majority of TapeOp readers. At the same time, there was some very inventive stuff done in the early/mid 90's that I'd love to read about.

Once again, this is not a complaint, I love TapeOp....

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:22 am

What struck me was how much the mixing itself was a performance. I need that reminder from time to time.

And I throw another vote in for this being most inspiring article in TO in the past year or so.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:48 pm

lsn110 wrote:And I throw another vote in for this being most inspiring article in TO in the past year or so.
At the risk of being judged a Phillistine, for me it'd be a toss-up between this one and the Les Paul interview.

E Baxter Put
audio school graduate

Post by E Baxter Put » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:22 pm

Yeah... great interview. The Bomb Squad was a huge influence when I first started recording. The textures, and complex sampling still blows my mind. It's great to read how it all went down with them recording together. Definitely one of the all-time great articles.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:15 am

Another three thumbs up for the Shocklee article.

The fact that TAPE OP is free is just completely ridiculous.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:14 pm

Never been a fan of the hip-hop, but PE was a fair part of my musical landscape back in the day.

Read it on the way in to work today - I am happy to see that I'm not the only one who found it to be one of the best TO interviews to date.

Thanks a billion!
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:16 pm

it definitely is one of the best articles to grace the mag in a while- and like someone said in a previous post- well rounded content-wise...in regards to talk about gear, creativity etc etc. as for hip hop subjects and the need for more- certainly! its just hard to track some people down! anyone have suggestions to see other hip hop geniuses in the mag? of course dr. dre comes to mind- but who else?
i'm still working on one for scott harding aka scott hard- of course he does (especially these days) other kinds of music, but he did do in what in my mind are among the 2 best cool hip hop based (and psychedelic heavy from beyond!) albums by New Kingdom!

Tomas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tomas » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:40 pm

Roman Sokal wrote:i'm still working on one for scott harding aka scott hard- of course he does (especially these days) other kinds of music, but he did do in what in my mind are among the 2 best cool hip hop based (and psychedelic heavy from beyond!) albums by New Kingdom!
YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

I have have both of those albums and they are great. I'd love to read an interview with Scott.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:14 pm

yeah, i love the second new kingdom record- paradon't come cheap. really heavy psychedelic grainy sounding...blows my mind each time i hear it and i've listened to it hundreds of times!

anyway, i started an interview with scott almost 3 years ago but we're gonna do it again from scratch- these postings have now promoted me to get on it!
look out for it hopefully by the end of the year!