nazareth, love hurts guitar solo

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

these_go211
pushin' record

nazareth, love hurts guitar solo

Post by these_go211 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:32 am

the song is great and the guitar solo is so cool. does anyone know if the solo was done by hitting one note, finding the sweet spot in the room for sustain/feedback, then just holding this note for the whole duration of the solo? or was it using an ebow or some other, ahem, vibrating type device :lol: however it was recorded, it's brilliant! thanks.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is they used an ebow on that track.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:18 pm

At the Ebow website, no claim is made about the Ebow being used on any Nazareth songs:

http://ebow.com/ebow/record.htm

There is a fairly extensive and (sort of) up-to-date list of other artists/songs that feature the Ebow. You'd think they'd have "Love Hurts" on there if there had been an Ebow in that song, being that's such a well-known classic. We can't prove a negative though.

BTW, that's one old-school website. It has that 1997 look to it. Sort of a stonewashed jeans effect there.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:36 pm

I can't believe you posted this; I have always secretly wanted to know how they did that, too. I feel I can tell you that everytime I get behind an Oberheim, I play the intro to 'Jump'. Which I do.

It sounds like a single note being bent (on a very thin string) to a fed-backing amplifier.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:45 pm

The first ebow I ever bought (maybe 10 years ago) had literature that included credit for "Love Hurts". I wonder if they ran into a permissions problem or if it was discovered that the Sustainiac system was actually used on that track instead of the ebow. To be honest with you, as someone who's used the ebow alot, that lead sounds more like the Sustainiac than an ebow. But I never questioned the claims.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:53 pm

Yo KennyLusk- This is getting interesting.

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:02 pm

Allmusic.com mentions Love Hurts' "aching slide-guitar solo" here . They also state that the song came out in 1975 where the Ebow website says the Ebow came out in 1976.

...not that any of this is definitive evidence of anything.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:27 pm

This is a great thread! I saw Nazareth on the Isle of man in 93. My brother and I were there for the motorcycle races and heard they were gonna play. As a joke , we went expecting to see another band past their freshness date flogging a dead horse. But the singer pipes were just as strong as ever and the guitar player was superb. Surprise surprise! They still rocked!

As far as that solo goes, I don't remember how he played it live. I don't think he was ebowin'...

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:39 pm

Inquiring minds want to know.

What a pisser. I wonder if anyone that knows definitively will pickup on this thread.

What a landmark album though, for rock music.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:32 pm

Sounds like an ebow to me.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:40 pm

With the pretty evident vibrato and that sort of hard initial pick, I'd say it was a combination of slide-vibrato sustain coupled with controlled feedback, maybe via some clever volume pedal, or knob, control.

... oh, and the old "headstock to cabinet" trick.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:52 pm

Marshall stack. Semihollow guitar. Hearing loss.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:43 pm

Anyone ever experience the music video for Love Hurts? The over acting by the guitar player durring the solo is amazing! He does this pelvic thrust/sex face combo that is perfect.

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:07 am

according to Manny Charlton (guitar player for Nazareth) he's never used an E-bow, the sound is via slide and a maxed-out old Marshall...

saldiamond
pluggin' in mics

Post by saldiamond » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:47 pm

i heard an interview with Dan McCafferty on http://rockandrollgeek.podshow.com/

Mike Butler asked this very question. i can't remember everything that was said about it, but it definetly was not an ebow.

i think nazareth is one of the great underrated bands of their time.