Free: Mass Loaded Vinyl sound proofing material in SF Area

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Doug Young
audio school

Free: Mass Loaded Vinyl sound proofing material in SF Area

Post by Doug Young » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:26 pm

I bought 4 sheets of 4x8 1lb vinyl in hopes of isolating some noise makers in my studio. Tho the stuff seems pretty cool, it didn't solve my problem. Here's what I got:

http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/produ ... ucts_id=40

The stuff is so heavy that shipping costs almost as much as the material, so there's little point in trying to send it back, or sell it outside the area. I hate to send it to the landfill.

So... free to a good home, if anyone is interested and local enough to pick it up. I'm in Mountain View, CA

Doug

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:52 am

just curious, what about it didn't work? did it just not block any sound, or did you find you couldn't wrap the stuff in it or what? i've always wondered about this stuff.

Doug Young
audio school

Post by Doug Young » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:34 pm

I think I was hoping for more magic than is possible. I have a hot water heater beside the studio, and I was hoping simply hanging some of this around it would help. It may have helped a bit, but I wasn't able to completely eliminate the heater noise by just hanging the vinyl. Plus it's heavy, and hanging temporarily would be a hassle (didn't want to permantly cut off air flow to that area.) So in the end, the solution of just shutting the thing off during recording was easier. I think if you permanently installed this stuff as a barrier in a wall, it would be more effective. It would have to kill some sound, it's really thick and heavy.

Doug

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:05 am

Yeah...same thing happened to me. I was expecting magical results and, though it is effective for what it is, getting a good setup for hanging the stuff is kind of a PITA. The stuff is heavy and majorly cumbersome to work with. I think it would be worth spending some time constructing a proper setup in a doorway with a curtain made of vinyl strips, but it wasn't really practical in my setup. Luckily I didn't buy too much, but did drop about $120 on a roll and found a place that sells it quite cheaply. I think I have found other uses for it though. On the flip side, I am glad you gave us that link as that is a pretty good price they offer for the 2x4 acoustic cotton panels.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:10 pm

I'm no tech by no means.. :lol: ..but I think this stuff was designed to be used in a " constraint" layer type installation. ( sandwiched between to layers, etc.) Just my .1- 1/2 cents!.. :D

Doug Young
audio school

Post by Doug Young » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:41 pm

snatchman wrote:I'm no tech by no means.. :lol: ..but I think this stuff was designed to be used in a " constraint" layer type installation. ( sandwiched between to layers, etc.) Just my .1- 1/2 cents!.. :D
Most likely that's the best use. The description says "or just hang it like a curtain", which is what I was hoping for. As a layer in construction, I'd predict it would work great.

I still have it, so far!

Doug

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:42 pm

I wish I was in CA. I would get it! Is this in rolls or flat, or how did it come packaged. What do you think the shipping would cost to NC.......... :idea:.... :roll:

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:48 pm

snatchman wrote:I'm no tech by no means.. :lol: ..but I think this stuff was designed to be used in a " constraint" layer type installation. ( sandwiched between to layers, etc.) Just my .1- 1/2 cents!.. :D

yeah, limp mass barrier material like that really works best in a wall or ceiling......does wonders for isolation

Doug Young
audio school

Post by Doug Young » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:35 pm

snatchman wrote:I wish I was in CA. I would get it! Is this in rolls or flat, or how did it come packaged. What do you think the shipping would cost to NC.......... :idea:.... :roll:
Rolls, boxed, two to a box. But I only kept one of the boxes. It was about $25 per box to have shipped by DHL, tho that may have been with some shippers discount. The stuff's quite heavy, so I'm not sure what I could ship it for. The DHL guy was dying to know what was in the boxes when he delivered it, I think he thought he was lugging a dead body in!. I'm trying to avoid the hassles of shipping, boxing, etc by finding some one locally who would like it.

Doug

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bounce » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:37 pm

Heya, Doug, what are the dimensions? I'll be in S.F. soon from L.A. and might be interested...Thanks for any info!
McKay Garner
Production-Mixing-Composition
http://www.mckaygarner.com

Doug Young
audio school

Post by Doug Young » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:39 pm

I have 4 sheets, each 4x8 ft, tho I've cut about a foot off of one sheet. They're still here, free for the taking!

Doug

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bounce » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:25 pm

I'm a dummy! The size was right there in your post! Sorry ;-)
McKay Garner
Production-Mixing-Composition
http://www.mckaygarner.com

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:34 pm

If you havent' unloaded that yet, I'm all about it!

PMed ya.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:14 pm

Thank you sir, I will put these to good use. Let the shedshrine construction begin!

Oh, and by the way, Doug has a killer home built project studio. My god.