Daniel Lanois Live

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cgarges
zen recordist

Daniel Lanois Live

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:29 am

I just got back from seeing Daniel Lanois in Athens at the 40 Watt.

Holy fuck!

He's doing a short tour--three more dates in the US:
http://www.daniellanois.com/calendar.htm

If he's playing anywhere near you, I highly suggest you go. Especially you guitar players...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

CharlesM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by CharlesM » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:03 am

Saw him with Tortoise at Irving Plaza in NYC over the summer. It was great, but he and Tortoise hadn't played together much (it was only their 2nd show together); there was a slight sense of disconnect between them.

Still awesome, though. Tortoise were amazing on their own, and Lanois also did a bunch of solo stuff. I would really love to see him play with Brian Blade (or Brady...two of the greatest drummers on the planet) and Daryl Johnson, though. Those guys light a fire.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:19 am

These were all young guys whose names I didn't recognize, but they were really good. The drummer was sort of like Stewart Copeland on a jazz kit (big cymbals, etc.). The bass player and guitar player were really solid and supportive and sang their nuts off. Lanois was calling changes and stuff on stage, but they guys were right with him. It was only the second night of the tour, but it sounded great. Big thumbs-up to Adam Samuels, who was running FOH.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:53 am

Yeah Daniel Lanois has a way wild guitar style. It's funny to hear him go back and forth between pedal steel and guitar.

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Post by Trem2 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:20 pm

YES ! Lanois live is pure genius.
I've seen him twice now both times in Park City.
He has this intense energy onstage.
Seems kind of nervous and pissed off at the same time but he seems to channel that into some freaking soulful guitar playing.

I'm surprised he doesn't have more of a reputation as a live player.

His pedal steel playing will make you CRY when you hear him !

virtualguthrie
ass engineer

Daniel Lanois w/ Tortoise

Post by virtualguthrie » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:21 pm

I saw the show at The Independant here in SF (a great club BTW) towards the end of the tour and it was amazing. The sound was awesome and I think Daniel and the guys from Tortoise had some time to tighten up and both sets were great (Tortoise did their own set and Daniel did a set w/ Tortoise as the backing band). I was so awestruck I had to go back the second night.
Guthrie

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Daniel Lanois Live

Post by nesta » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:17 pm

cgarges wrote: I just got back from seeing Daniel Lanois in Athens at the 40 Watt.

Holy fuck!
this is great to hear. he's playing the Earl on the 14th here in the atl and my wife and i have been planning on going but i've been curious as to how his sound was going to translate live...i can't freakin' wait!

nesta

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:06 pm

Yeah, it ought to be pretty great. If I could make it down there on the 14th, I'd totaly go again. I think even someone who isn't necessarily a fan would enjoy that show.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:54 pm

Saw the first show at the independent out here in SF... his show at the Great American Music Hall with Brian Blade was even better...I think he had it setup in surround... amazing performance... i was very bummed to miss the second night for both shows...

I would have freaked about him coming to Athens back when I lived there... Looks like I left town about 6 years too early...
on second thought... maybe i stayed 6 years too long...

anyhow... definitely a great show worth checking out...

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:24 pm

his shows are always fantastic-
so far i've gotten to see him in various configurations-
in 2003, i got to see him with the mightly brian blade on drums (who is usually co-billed on tickets,posters etc- sometimes i think he steals the show!)- so brian on drums, dan on guitar, various guests like bill dillon on guitar, brother bob on harmonica and the sweet lori ann reid on vocals.
other set ups for shows have been daryl johnson on bass and vox (daryl and dan doing vocals together is POWERFUL!) and lori on vox...no drums!
and then recently at the hamilton music awards, it was brian blade on drums and 2-3 guys from mother superior.
cool thing about dan too is if he kind of knows you and you can play something, he'll usually invite you up to play for a song or two. i've seen it happen many times!
be sure to check out his brother bob's cool harmonica-based album that dan helped a bit on: http://boblanois.com/

overall, my fave stage/player set up has been brian blade on drums, daryl johnson on vox and bass and dan on guitar. saw some good shows in northern ontario back in 94 with this configuration.

i can't wait for dan's new album, out in the late summer!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:50 pm

cgarges wrote:These were all young guys whose names I didn't recognize, but they were really good. The drummer was sort of like Stewart Copeland on a jazz kit (big cymbals, etc.). The bass player and guitar player were really solid and supportive and sang their nuts off. Lanois was calling changes and stuff on stage, but they guys were right with him. It was only the second night of the tour, but it sounded great. Big thumbs-up to Adam Samuels, who was running FOH.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Looks like its the guys from Mother Superior. They are IMNSHO the best live band in America. The also serve as the Rollins band.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:27 pm

Yep, it was those guys. I wouldn't say that they were the best live band in America when they were playing with Lanois, but they were damn good.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:04 am

Saw him in Taos a couple years ago (for $20!!!!) with Mother Superior as the band. I was absolutely fucking blown away. What an amazing performer and wild guitar player. Every single song was re-thought, re-interpereted. Different grooves and phrasing than the record in almost every case. They totally busted out the ROCK, it was like crazy horse or something. Loud and ragged. Goddamn, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I almost had to fight this stupid fucking taos resident so I could stand right up front against the stage. I got there totally early so I could get a good spot. There was noone else there except this guy and a few of his friends. They were camped out on the floor, really close to the stage, but clearly there was room for one or two people in between them and the stage, so I just chilled in the back 'till showtime. When the time was right I cruised up to the stage and stood right in front of Lanois' mic stand and pedal board. This guy starts giving me shit about how he was there the whole time, blah blah blah. He's going off on me about how "is this how Albuquerque people want Taos people to see them...". Total northern new mexico flake. I'm trying to explain to this guy that I've been studying Lanois' music and record production for over ten years, I'm a massive fan and there's basically no way I'm going to stand anywhere else period. Anyway, we finally agree to share space. He starts telling me that he is with the local newspaper and he is here to take pictures. The band comes out and he leans over to me and asks, "which one is Daniel Lanois?"

Then Lanois proceeded to destroy all my preconceptions about him as a musician and singer. I sang harmony out loud right in front of him the whole set, it was the geekiest thing I've ever done in my life. I'm surprised he didn't A: ask me to join him onstage, or B: come down and fucking punch me!

Oh yeah, did I mention the ticket was $20?