Weezer "Pinkerton"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Weezer "Pinkerton"

Post by curtiswyant » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:13 am

Who else loves the sound of this record? I'm curious about the distorted rhythm guitars...is it just LP-->Marshall or what?

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Weezer "Pinkerton"

Post by Ryan Ferris » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:31 am

curtiswyant wrote:Who else loves the sound of this record? I'm curious about the distorted rhythm guitars...is it just LP-->Marshall or what?
Yeah, I love this album much as well. I think it's the big drum and dirty bass sounds that I like the best. I remember reading an old Guitar World interview with Rivers where he said that it was mostly Les Pauls into Marshalls with a Big Muff on some things. He said that some of the more fuzzy lead sounds were a distortion pedal (I dunno which one) into a Big Muff into a Marshall.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:27 pm

i remember joe barresi recorded some of it, and he certainly added or at least strengthened the sound of the guitars, since he knows quite a bit from being a player himself, as well as having worked with some great guitar rock bands a handful of years before, like kyuss for example!
its certainly my fave weezer record.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:35 pm

there's such a raw energy captured by that recording. it sounds like the room is about to blow up on some of the songs. what did they do, slam the tape with a super hot signal? whatever technique was employed, i'm envious.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:46 pm

There is a very raw quality to Pinkerton. It's my favorite Weezer record too. There are several engineers listed, but no specifics as to who did what. Dave Fridman is listed and I've always assumed he recorded "Tired of Sex" just by the tone of it.
Last edited by drumsound on Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:57 pm

I've read that the guys in Weezer were pretty obsessed with the Flaming Lips' Clouds Taste Metallic at the time. You can hear it all over Pinkerton.