Separation Mastering

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Separation Mastering

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:21 pm

OK, so this mastering engineer named John Vestman does this thing he calls "separation mastering". Check it out:

http://www.johnvestman.com/separations.htm

In a nutshell, he wants you to give him stems of drums, guitars, bass, vox, etc., and he claims that he can produce a better master than can be acheived traditionally.

I'm skeptical for lots of reasons, but one of the main ones is that he uses the fucking blink tag on the page I linked, about halfway down the page. Never trust a guy who uses the blink tag!!!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:26 pm

I don't like the stems idea. I think the mixer needs to commit to his ort her balances and the mastering engineer needs to work with those balances. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:26 pm

i doubt he's as goodas he says he is.

he's pretty much saying he can do better than ANYONE else.

if this were true he'd be the richest man the music industry because EVERYBODY in the world would go to him. werd

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Separation Mastering

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:51 pm

John Jeffers wrote:In a nutshell, he wants you to give him stems of drums, guitars, bass, vox, etc., and he claims that he can produce a better master than can be acheived traditionally.
That's awesome. I want to send this guy some of my stuff that Chris Blair and Greg Calbi have done and see if the butchering of the mixes makes the clients happier than these old guys' "traditional" mastering techniques.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:03 pm

I read an article in EQ or some such mag a couple of years ago in which Greg Calbi actually championed this approach...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:06 pm

wedge wrote:I read an article in EQ or some such mag a couple of years ago in which Greg Calbi actually championed this approach...
Interesting. He seems to do fine with all the standard two-track stuff I've ever heard him work on.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:11 pm

I believe Greg Calbi said he likes stems at TapeOpCon '04. But yes he does kick-ass work on stereo masters.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:16 pm

I've heard this approach generally mentioned as an alternative to making a whole slew of vocal up/vocal down/instrumental/less banjo/more gamelan mixes.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:09 pm

People also send material back and fourth from mastering to the studio several times I've heard..

whats the world coming to?

good grief..

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:14 am

I actually did this myself when I was trying to learn how to mix a few years back. i had the Drums, Bass, Guitar, and Vocal stems all going through different stereo compressors and EQ's to fix what I couldn't get right the first time. The resultant mix was the loudest mix I had ever heard, but even though I fixed things, it ended up still sucking. In the long run, I ended up remixing the song and getting it right the traditional way. Although it didn't enter my mind to do the Stems thing again, I wonder...NAh.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:59 pm

I still like to work from a stereo mix, but stems can definitely "save" some mixes that would otherwise suck hard.

Usually stuff from novice engineers... The usual suspects - Too much verb (always comes out even more after a little compression) vocals that would otherwise get a little buried, etc., etc.

I have to admit also that it's nice to be able to suck a little 2.5kHz out of the guitars and nothing else if that's where the problem is...

But yeah, on a mix that just sounds really nice in the first place, all it really ends up being is more expensive for the client. But on the nasty ones, it can save time (saving money) also...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:55 pm

John Jeffers wrote:OK, so this mastering engineer named John Vestman does this thing he calls "separation mastering". Check it out:

http://www.johnvestman.com/separations.htm

In a nutshell, he wants you to give him stems of drums, guitars, bass, vox, etc., and he claims that he can produce a better master than can be acheived traditionally.

I'm skeptical for lots of reasons, but one of the main ones is that he uses the fucking blink tag on the page I linked, about halfway down the page. Never trust a guy who uses the blink tag!!!
hasn't use of blink tags been a death penalty offense since 1997?

i read that linked page twice and definitely got a whiff of something foul.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:45 am

RefD wrote:hasn't use of blink tags been a death penalty offense since 1997?
I'm taking a couple of points off for lack of <marquee> and comic sans, but this dude's still going straight to hell.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:43 pm

Disasteradio wrote:
RefD wrote:hasn't use of blink tags been a death penalty offense since 1997?
I'm taking a couple of points off for lack of <marquee> and comic sans, but this dude's still going straight to hell.
:lol:

nice Fairlight av, btw.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:41 am

I don't really support the 'indecisive' nature of this scenario.

I do know some mastering guys are going over to this technique, but think about what mixing means?

Is the mastering guy also the mix engineer?

Me thinks not.