I'm a newbie, please give me some feedback on a tune

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Shaka
audio school graduate

I'm a newbie, please give me some feedback on a tune

Post by Shaka » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:59 pm

Folks,

I've lurked here for quite a while. My cousin and I have a new project and have been putting together some rough demos. I'd be interested on some feedback regarding our song Name I Won't Mention. I just finished a rough mix and would love some feedback. Keep in mind it is a rough demo. I'll be tinkering with it as time goes on. There are a couple of other tunes up there as well if you'd like to give them a listen.

To check it out just go to www.thesociallyinept.com and click the link.

I had some fun with this one and enjoyed my first experiments with time alignment.

Eric

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:57 pm

I think everything sounds pretty darn good. About the only element I would experiment with would be the kick drum. It has a just slightly overbearing quality which kind of goes against the rest of the track. Now this is just nitpicking. I wouldn't even say much if I just heard this track but that is what I might play with.

Hope that helps,
Take care,
Dougo
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:14 pm

I like it a lot. Sounds really good. I would have done the drums a little differently - but that's just taste, I'm sure. Mainly the snare, I dunno, a gated verb (OK maybe that's kinda 90's), or maybe side-chain some white noise, or maybe even a re-amp job slammed hard into a comp.. That's just me, though. I can hear every beat, so there's no need to change a thing.

Oh wait a minute, I know what it is, there's no mic under the snare, is there? Not that it's a bad thing at all, I'm just used to hearing it. Throw a ribbon under there if you've got one, see what you think.

The vocals are nice, sounds like someone I know of from Salt Lake. He's not from my neck of the woods is he?

Shaka
audio school graduate

Post by Shaka » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:03 pm

MikeCzech wrote:I like it a lot. Sounds really good. I would have done the drums a little differently - but that's just taste, I'm sure. Mainly the snare, I dunno, a gated verb (OK maybe that's kinda 90's), or maybe side-chain some white noise, or maybe even a re-amp job slammed hard into a comp.. That's just me, though. I can hear every beat, so there's no need to change a thing.

Oh wait a minute, I know what it is, there's no mic under the snare, is there? Not that it's a bad thing at all, I'm just used to hearing it. Throw a ribbon under there if you've got one, see what you think.

The vocals are nice, sounds like someone I know of from Salt Lake. He's not from my neck of the woods is he?
Actually...the singer is my cousin from Tempe AZ. However, he did live in Provo while going to college and his old band The Denver Office played in SLC occasionally. I live in Murray just outside of SLC.

You're gonna laugh but those are beta monkey drums programmed in ACID. I have a way of doing them that can fool people into thinking they are real. It is an interesting snare sound though. We are going into the commercial studio to redo the drums and vocals eventually.

Eric

Shaka
audio school graduate

Post by Shaka » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:05 pm

dougo wrote:I think everything sounds pretty darn good. About the only element I would experiment with would be the kick drum. It has a just slightly overbearing quality which kind of goes against the rest of the track. Now this is just nitpicking. I wouldn't even say much if I just heard this track but that is what I might play with.

Hope that helps,
Take care,
Dougo
Interesting take. I think I put a little extra eq on the kick. I'm going to check and if i did I'm going to remove it and see if that fixes the problem. I actually noticed the same thing. I appreciate your comment!

Eric

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:18 pm

Hey Eric, send me a personal message. I can get you a great kick and snare I've done for ACID.. So hey where you gonna record those drums at? ;)

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:34 am

I have no constructive criticism.

Just want to say I like the song a lot. The singing and arrangement are both nice.

Shaka
audio school graduate

Post by Shaka » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:00 am

Ok, I tamed the kick a little bit. Did that work for you?