micing the hi-hats?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:07 pm

I always mic the Hihat's. I figure if I don't need it I don't have to use it. You can automate it so that it's there when you need it, and out when it's not.

I recently used the hihat mic to phase out some really loud 13" hats in one of the overheads. It would have been hell without it.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:22 pm

MikeCzech wrote:I always mic the Hihat's. I figure if I don't need it I don't have to use it. You can automate it so that it's there when you need it, and out when it's not.

I recently used the hihat mic to phase out some really loud 13" hats in one of the overheads. It would have been hell without it.
that's intresting. I've wondered if that's feasable. Do you do any processing to get the null happening? Like maybe time-aligning the hat mic to the overheads, or any eq or dynamics. like maybe hi-pass and low-pass filters to make sure I'm nulling only the hats out?
I'm thinking I'll have to try it to see what happens. Just got some new gear and now I have the inputs to try it! 8)

Anyone ever mic the hat's from underneath? I'm thinking I'll use this next week, the drummer has a big crowded kit, toms right over the hats. I guess it depends on the hats and the style, but anyone ever had success in doing this?
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:49 am

Yeah, to phase them out you have to nudge them and play with the phase. The distance isn't the same so it'll never completely void it, but it can sure filter it. I use a close LDC almost at the middle, but slightly more towards the top.