Some Color

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Some Color

Post by NU-TRA » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:57 pm

Looking for overhead mics with color... I have the Peluso small diaphragm condensers. Too clean for me... I was wondering if I should get tube mics... Any suggestions for something that will smooth out my cymbals.. My price range is about $1000

Thanks
V

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:29 pm

I've mainly been using my C414's for overheads, and they work nicely, but seriously, it's my Rode K2 (tube) in the room that makes the magic happen.

I've used it for overheads, but it's just not the same. I'd highly, highly recommend a pair for any distance micing applications, the variable polar patterns are very useful - and even though you don't hear much about them it really is an amazing underated mic, just don't use it for vocals, the sibilance will kill you.

This is highly untraditional, but I've had some awesome drum tracks with a mono room K2 picking up all the bright stuff, and a pair on Audix OM5's as overheads. They're dynamic, but the contrast with the K2 is awesome. You could even go with some RE20's or SM7's if you wanted to step up to the LDD route. I know it's not quite what you were talking about, but you'd get a lot more character that way than with a pair of flat responding LDC's as overheads.

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:03 am

Haha I'm using my k2 for my fun mic... 4ft back pointed at the snare.

V

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:50 am

Now try slamming your K2 hard into a compressor, you'll hear more character than you can shake a stick at.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Some Color

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:17 am

NU-TRA wrote:Looking for overhead mics with color... I have the Peluso small diaphragm condensers. Too clean for me... I was wondering if I should get tube mics... Any suggestions for something that will smooth out my cymbals.. My price range is about $1000

Thanks
V
pair beyer m160's or pair vintage octava ml19's or one coles 4038, one aea ribbon, one royer ribbon..

any good ribbon really will give you what (I think) you want..

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:40 am

I really like oktavas... The ML19? Whats the difference between that and the ml 52?