What else do you do for money if you do something else?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:45 am

wow so many people doing so many interesting things..

I'm currently working 70-90 hours a week between being an engineer for a government cable access station, a news videographer, freelance video producer and animator, recording bands in my studio, and playing in my band..

needless to say I'm sick as a dog right now with slight walking pneumonia..

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:27 pm

I'm trying out a career as a comedic author. It's really funny, to say the least:

http://ilovelaughs.blogspot.com/

oh and I tried that thing where you tattoo a business' logo on your body so they give you money, but these guys won't pay up, or even give complimentary ELA M251s:

xpulsar
pushin' record

WORK?

Post by xpulsar » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:41 pm

Well , I have made most of my money in the past 3 years freelancing in studios, Mixing Whatever , R&B, Hip-Hop, Indy Rock. My work has also included wiring 5 studios in the last 2 years. Setting up and wiring the studio for Jack White at his house for his last album.That was alot of fun, cool guy.
I also work at Vintage King Audio as a tech,mostly refurbishing their old consoles. I have been lucky to learn so much great stuff about old Neve,Helios,Calrec,Api,Studer,Fairchild,Pultecs.....

Collin

theposterkid
gettin' sounds

Post by theposterkid » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:41 pm

I still find the coolest post in this thread to be the person that dumpster dives and sells what they find.

Anyway, I'm in my last semester of college. I'm currently taking only one class (Films of Clint Eastwood) and then I graduate. Right now I just do that, deliver sandwiches 3 nights a week (10pm-4am shift), and have just recently returned home from our band's 2nd midwest tour. We actually made money on the tour with zero promotion and being an unknown band for the most part. The graveyard shift of delivering sandwiches is actually pretty sweet because it's nice and peaceful on the roads, and I deliver downtown to lots of bars and restaurants and those people always tip well!

I'm also the engineer for Local Live (http://www.kvrx.org/locallive), but I don't consider it a true "job" because I get paid double digits each month. The experience is incredibly valuable, however.

Things are going to get interesting here come summer since I'll be completely done with school and hopefully putting out our 2nd full-length. The cool part is that I live with 6 other guys in a house, so the bills and rent are nice and cheap, I have a place to practice, and I can easily live on the money and tips I make only working 20 hours a week. Now the next goal is to pay off the ole school loans and save up for my own place. I'm going to keep pursuing the "band thing" and working for the label we're on. Ah, the excitement!

Andrew

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:37 pm

After 10 years as a FOH guy/monitor guy a/o tour manager (Man or Astroman?, Dismemberment Plan, Polyphonic Spree, Mooney Suzuki, Trans Am, Zen Guerillia, more) I am now a Board Op for a radio station, which is a cool gig, except for the right-wing-nutjob shows. The job is like audio tetris, especially for the morning news show. The talent goes to break, and you have x minutes to get in news, traffic, weather, commercials, and promos in before returning within a few seconds of the mark. If traffic goes long, you gotta shove stuff around, but all commercials gotta play in their spots or you're in trouble. I'm finally getting my studio going, and it's exciting.

Have you guys heard Michael Savage? I swear, he's gotta be Andy Kaufman pulling a prank. Nobody could be this huge of a douchebag and not be kidding.

Anybody from Minneapolis? Can you gimmie the lowdown on a talker named Chris Krok?
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

Glory_Morris
takin' a dinner break

re: DIVING

Post by Glory_Morris » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:22 am

I just quit my job as an Electronics Technician for Harris Corporation. I worked in the Microwave Communications Division repairing muliplexors, modems and the like. It was challenging work but they were paying me next to nothing and I was nearly as broke as I am now. It helps that I live in my studio, which was an old mexican restaurant built in the thirties. I built a shower in one of the deep sinks using a hoola-hoop and a shower curtain and tore out the kitchen and built a meager control room. The bar is still in the main room, distracting but charming.

So, I've been hitting it hard-- hussling. Business cards, fliers, ads on websites. I'm finally getting business. Funny thing is, when I had the job I couldn't get any business. Probably because I was so busy I couldn't get out and do things like hang fliers.

I'm trying to get a contract with a small record label locally, hoping they'll front me some money for the first couple projects so I can make some necessary upgrades. I've never been happier.

mjau
speech impediment

Re: re: DIVING

Post by mjau » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:46 am

TUBelectro wrote:I just quit my job as an Electronics Technician for Harris Corporation. I worked in the Microwave Communications Division repairing muliplexors, modems and the like. It was challenging work but they were paying me next to nothing and I was nearly as broke as I am now. It helps that I live in my studio, which was an old mexican restaurant built in the thirties. I built a shower in one of the deep sinks using a hoola-hoop and a shower curtain and tore out the kitchen and built a meager control room. The bar is still in the main room, distracting but charming.

So, I've been hitting it hard-- hussling. Business cards, fliers, ads on websites. I'm finally getting business. Funny thing is, when I had the job I couldn't get any business. Probably because I was so busy I couldn't get out and do things like hang fliers.

I'm trying to get a contract with a small record label locally, hoping they'll front me some money for the first couple projects so I can make some necessary upgrades. I've never been happier.
Morris, you are my fucking hero, seriously.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:43 pm

I am part-time Mr. Mom and part-to-full-time freelance graphic designer and web developer. My wife works three days a week, so I watch the kids (1 and 4 years old) while she is there. I have my design business that I mostly do at night and whenever I have time without the kids. Business has actually been so crazy since the new year, that I've hired a babysitter to watch the kids a couple of half days a week so I can keep up better, as I've been up until 3 a.m. every night for the last couple of months now.

Musically, I play drums in a post-hardcore sort of band and try to make quirky spacey indie pop stuff on my own. After having been burnt out on music for several years, I'm pretty much wanting to do more with music now. My goal is to open a studio division of my business in the small town I live in, within the next 4 years. I'm already unofficially offering recording services on a word-of-mouth basis, and may actually get some voiceover recording sessions through a new client. Within 4 years, I'd like to move the studio out of my house, move more of my time in that direction, and maybe hire someone to take over the design/web stuff.

But that won't happen until the chilluns are in school full-time.

-Bret

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:07 pm

I paint.

weallfailed
audio school graduate

Post by weallfailed » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:37 pm

Roboburger wrote: Have you guys heard Michael Savage? I swear, he's gotta be Andy Kaufman pulling a prank. Nobody could be this huge of a douchebag and not be kidding.
Amen.

When not recording, I do live sound and occastionally substitute teach elementery school. The similarities between 8 year olds and musicians is sometimes astonishing.

Glory_Morris
takin' a dinner break

Post by Glory_Morris » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:15 pm

weallfailed wrote:
When not recording, I do live sound and occastionally substitute teach elementery school. The similarities between 8 year olds and musicians is sometimes astonishing.
Good GOD you're right!

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:27 pm

Wow, what interesting responses and timely at that, as I am looking for a "flexible" day job.
I had a nice job for a few years at a live production place, but corporate theater makes me vomit. The money was good though. I never had time to record or play. Now I have all the time, but no money, which can depress the shit out of anyone.
Anyhoo, I run a rehearsal space/stu-djoe, which I am still finishing up. I freelance around town for bands, and I have a nice Monitor gig about 6 times a month at a local venue. It's almost enough, but I just feel the squeeze too much at the first of the month. Thank god I have plenty of shit to put in hock when I need the dough. Anyhoo, I thinks once me finds a "flexible" day job (one that can put up with recording/live sound schedule) I'll be alright. The stu-djoe clientle grows slowly stronger every month, but I can't sit around and wait while the debt hole grows.
But, if I wouldn't have had the balls to walk away from the podiums and try my own thang, my band wouldn't be as well practiced and respected, and the stu-djoe would still be a dream.

I feel better now.
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:48 pm

After 15 years as a factory audio repair tech (3 years at the Fender amp factory, 12 years at Phoenix Gold car audio), I got a sweet promotion at PG to Engineering Tech a few months ago. I'm basically a junior Engineer doing research and developement on upcoming products. The company also owns the Carver and Audiosource brands.
My old job was being chained to my bench and fixing amps all day. Not bad work but I got extremely burnt out after doing the same thing day after day, year after year. The new job is cool because I do all kinds of different things on all our products and work in a nice office 8:30-5:00.
my band: Mission 5

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:49 pm

You will never have enough money. Just when you've figured your expenses, adjusted them even with a better paying job, you turn around, and BAM! The squeeze is on again. Especially during this time of year.

I was actually thinking of eBaying some old stuff that's hogging storage space here. Maybe it'll give me some extra cash to buy the outboard gear I've been wanting. When I get my tax return I'm going to pick up an ART Pro Channel, and a sync box and foot pedal for the Tascam 388 here.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:07 pm

rolandk wrote:After 15 years as a factory audio repair tech (3 years at the Fender amp factory, 12 years at Phoenix Gold car audio), I got a sweet promotion at PG to Engineering Tech a few months ago. I'm basically a junior Engineer doing research and developement on upcoming products. The company also owns the Carver and Audiosource brands.
Hey Roland, do you know Mo West? Does he still work there? He was my next-door neighbor for a couple years back when we lived in St. Johns. We bought Audiosource home theater speakers on Mo's recommendation and they were surprisingly good for the money.

-Bret