i could use some advice...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

73ips
audio school

i could use some advice...

Post by 73ips » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:44 am

question regarding recording... what's yer setupas far as computer recording goes? what do you find as it's drawbacks? is there anything you would have done differently? i just ran into a good amount of money to get a good rig together. i feel like spending no more than $2500. i'd like to have at least 16 tracks for audio, 16 tracks for midi, plus abilities for plug-ins without any major slow downs. any recommendation would be appreciated. some friends here are also doing video production for commercial applications, so i'd like to have something that would be compatible for all formats.

let me know what would provide me with a good start.

i'm relatively familiar with analog recording so i've cut my teeth with that. i'm just looking for speed and quality with no annoying setbacks. i have an ibook g4 with a gig of ram and an outboard hd.

i had to sell alot of gear to move out here so i'm excited to get started!

thanks!

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:11 am

How many tracks do you need to be able to record simultaneously?

Also, since you mentioned that you already have a computer, are you looking to get a new one for your rig or does a computer not factor into the $2500 budget?

73ips
audio school

addendum:

Post by 73ips » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:46 am

i don't see the need to record more than eight tracks at a time. i really don't want to get a different computer as i want to keep it as portable as possible. really i would like the setup to be as good as possible but i'm mainly looking for something for sketching out ideas and preproduction. as songs get worked out, i can turn to a "profesional" studio.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:31 am

Maybe try something like the Motu Traveler with Logic. If you or a friend is a student, you can get a huge discount on Logic from the Apple Store. This would form the basis of a very nice portable rig and probably cost you less than $1500, leaving some $$$$ for a few other items; pres, cables, mics. etc.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:54 am

Look at the digidesign 002rack. About 1k and will give you eight ins out of the box. 4 pres and 4 line in. then you can just take your stuff you have recorded to a studio and enhance. Easy way to go.

Mike

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:51 am

audiogeek1 wrote:Look at the digidesign 002rack. About 1k and will give you eight ins out of the box. 4 pres and 4 line in. then you can just take your stuff you have recorded to a studio and enhance. Easy way to go.

Mike
PTLE is probably not the best choice for anybody who wishes to work with sound for video. He'd have to drop an additional $1300 to get the DV Toolkit option, which is going to make it more expensive than going with a different program that already incorporates synch to video capabilities.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:14 pm

sonikbliss wrote:
audiogeek1 wrote:Look at the digidesign 002rack. About 1k and will give you eight ins out of the box. 4 pres and 4 line in. then you can just take your stuff you have recorded to a studio and enhance. Easy way to go.

Mike
PTLE is probably not the best choice for anybody who wishes to work with sound for video. He'd have to drop an additional $1300 to get the DV Toolkit option, which is going to make it more expensive than going with a different program that already incorporates synch to video capabilities.
I did not see any mention of Post Production. Also why would he have to buy the dv tool kit for post. Regular LE will work with Quicktime and the only thing that DV toolkit gives is Time Code. You still would not have machine control even with the tool kit. So if you start your session the same time as the QT movie it should line up. Most LE systems do not reference to Black Burst and have no real way of linking to time code anyway.

Just to let you know I work in post everyday. I work with an HD4 accell system locked to blackburst and a Big Ben. That is tied to a Euphonix System 5 when I mix. This is just my opinion but he only thing the Tool kit gives you is the ability to open an OMF. This can be done at a regular studio that has digitranslator. then save the session and open on le. easy as pie. But then again I could be wrong.

Mike

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:15 pm

sonikbliss wrote:Maybe try something like the Motu Traveler with Logic. If you or a friend is a student, you can get a huge discount on Logic from the Apple Store. This would form the basis of a very nice portable rig and probably cost you less than $1500, leaving some $$$$ for a few other items; pres, cables, mics. etc.
add Pluggo onto that and you've got a pretty cool little rig.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:17 pm

audiogeek1 wrote:
sonikbliss wrote:

Mike
I did not see any mention of Post Production. Also why would he have to buy the dv tool kit for post. Regular LE will work with Quicktime and the only thing that DV toolkit gives is Time Code. You still would not have machine control even with the tool kit. So if you start your session the same time as the QT movie it should line up. Most LE systems do not reference to Black Burst and have no real way of linking to time code anyway.

Just to let you know I work in post everyday. I work with an HD4 accell system locked to blackburst and a Big Ben. That is tied to a Euphonix System 5 when I mix. This is just my opinion but he only thing the Tool kit gives you is the ability to open an OMF. This can be done at a regular studio that has digitranslator. then save the session and open on le. easy as pie. But then again I could be wrong.

Mike
73ips wrote:some friends here are also doing video production for commercial applications, so i'd like to have something that would be compatible for all formats.
BTW, I didn't say it couldn't be done, but it's certainly not one of PTLE's strongsuits compared to the options offered in other software that can be had for a similar pricepoint. I use PT's everyday and it's my 1st choice, but I don't do post work, and if I did I would probably go with a system other than what PTLE is (currently) offering. That's just my opinion.

trashy, I agree. That would be a sick little rig for fairly cheap. :D