Question For the Mic Experts Here...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JeffPatterson
audio school

Question For the Mic Experts Here...

Post by JeffPatterson » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:43 am

Alright, many of you were very helpful a little while back regarding some lower end condensor mics. Well, I've continued research and spoke to several people that I consider to be pretty knowledgebale that I've done music with in the past. So, I've narrowed my selection down to three different "mic packages". Each contains two mics. What are your thoughts on the following:

Package 1: AKG C 1000 S and AKG C 3000 B. The cost is $299

Package 2: 2 AKG Perception 100's. The cost is $199

Package 3: Audio-Technica AT2020 and AT2021. The cost is $149

Any thoughts, comments, etc would be helpful. Thanks to all for their wisdom, I greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards, JP

joel77
audio school graduate

Post by joel77 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:19 am

Jeff,

You didn't say what you're recording. Or what your budget is. Do you need both an LDC & an SDC?

For $299 (or less), I'd get an AKG Hamburg or Vienna anyday. Way better mic than those you listed. If you need an SDC, look at an MXL 603 or the new 604 for about $100. The 603 can be had on eBay for less (especially if you find a used one). The 604 comes with 2 different capsules, making it even more useful.

Just my thoughts.

Joel

BTW.... I have both the ADK mics and a pair of MXL 603s. Love 'em!

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:34 am

still cant get over "jeff patterson"

weird man animal hybrid thing?

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:42 am

Given your choices, I'd do the AT package.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

JeffPatterson
audio school

Post by JeffPatterson » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:47 am

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the feedback... As for me, I'll be recording the following instruements: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, hand drums, vocals, possibly a drum kit (yeah, may have to borrow some mics for that mess) and a few other random things. My budget is self imposed due to the fact that it's not likely that any of the recordings I do will go outside of my circle of friends.

And to "eeldip", I don't know what you're talking about, I must be out of the loop but it happens to be my name? Oh well...

Best, JP

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:31 pm

eeldip wrote:still cant get over "jeff patterson"

weird man animal hybrid thing?
You better say which is which.

Jeff, I'd honestly steer you on a more MXL path... better bang/buck ratio. Learn from your elders.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

JeffPatterson
audio school

Post by JeffPatterson » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:46 pm

Thanks again to everyone. I found some great deals on the MXL 603's, I'll give those a try and see how they sound compared to the absolute garbage I'm using right now.

Best Regards, JP

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:02 pm

I have an MXL 2001 that I like lots. I use it on vox and acoustic guitar.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:06 pm

as a C1000S owner, I would recommend them. Great on clean guitar amp sounds and drum overheads. Also really great for stereo acoustic or spot micing other acoustic stringed instruments like banjo and mandolin. I have used them a stereo room mics with great results as well. I'm keen to try the MXLs for he money though after reading so many people who like them.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:43 am

JeffPatterson wrote: And to "eeldip", I don't know what you're talking about, I must be out of the loop but it happens to be my name? Oh well...

Best, JP
well, there is a Jeff Robinson here and a Joel Patterson. And very few people have their full names as their screen name.

and to make it more creepy, i am a Patterson as well and grew up in new jersey.

AT and MXL make good stuff.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:36 pm

These have received positive reviews all over the net:
http://www.kelaudio.com/hm1.html

I would also recommend the Oktava MK012 mics. Great for guitars and overheads. Try to find the Russian MK ones.

Also, decent sounding (so I have heard) ribbon mics:
http://www.shinybox.com/ShinyBox23.php

Keep in mind that I bought my 414B/ULS off of eBay for $405 two years ago. It's mint. Check eBay auctions for "ending soon", especially at 4am.

Jeff

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:38 pm

getreel wrote:as a C1000S owner, I would recommend them. Great on clean guitar amp sounds and drum overheads. Also really great for stereo acoustic or spot micing other acoustic stringed instruments like banjo and mandolin. I have used them a stereo room mics with great results as well. I'm keen to try the MXLs for he money though after reading so many people who like them.
I too have found my C1000S useful -- but only when I've run out of other mics to use. Seriously, you CAN make this thing work if you HAVE TO. But I wouldn't recommend backing yourself into a corner right off the bat.

tguncle
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tguncle » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:18 pm

Okay, so you're willing to spend $299? You can get some serious mic. with that! I'm in the skip-the-C-1000 camp. I've got one, I use it, but I am NEVER excited with the results. It?s always serviceable, but I always grudgingly reach for it. Have you considered a CAD-179? A lot of people around here like them. I've been pretty happy with mine. It's a variable pattern LDC, and sounds pretty good (esp. for the $$). The variable pattern dial is just the coolest thing, and would add some textures to your palette with just one mic, plus, you can get them for about $150 new.

What about ribbon mic.s, are you opposed to getting one? Shinybox has some cheap good sounding ribbons starting at $150. I got a shinybox 23C, which runs a bit more, and have not regretted for a second. It could be that's because it's my first ribbon, but man does it sound great! And you could easily record those drums with a single track using one (just don't get too close!). That said, I guess it depends on how good you want your recordings to sound, b/c MXL also makes a LDC and SDC package (990/991) that probably wouldn't make you more than $75 poorer and they even come with a hard-case! I?ve used the LDC before with decent results (it beat out a 57 and a 3035 on this particular amp). But at that price it can probably be assumed that there is little to no QC, so buyer beware! See if you can con the seller into letting you try before you buy so you don?t get a lemon -Jason