any synth users here?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:17 pm

gutsofgold wrote:i need a synth for indie rock, dance, shoegaze stuff.
roland sh-32..

IMO a nord is going to be to clean for what your looking for.

i mean really you probably just want a Juno. but you can have the sh32 for less.

check out on my website a song called "only to sleep in"
http://www.pandatone.com in the ADO section.
its got mostly sh32 in it.

panda

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:44 pm

Conversely, I love the Micron. It's a synth to me that invites creativity and fast tracking. Lately, even more so than the Nord, and WAY more so than the recent Roland/Korg/Yamaha/etc offerings. It's way cool for the money.

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:44 am

i do want to get one of those microns though... they look hot.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:30 am

trodden wrote:
Red Rockets Glare wrote:I like my microkorg a lot, and we all discussed this topic about a month ago UTSF.
you mean UTFSF!!!!

as a Los Angeles TOMB member, I'm doing everything I can to prove that non-assholes live and work here trodden, so I mean UTSF, baby.

have a nice day. :wink:

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:31 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:
trodden wrote:
Red Rockets Glare wrote:I like my microkorg a lot, and we all discussed this topic about a month ago UTSF.
you mean UTFSF!!!!

as a Los Angeles TOMB member, I'm doing everything I can to prove that non-assholes live and work here trodden, so I mean UTSF, baby.

that shit don't play homie.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:39 am

trodden wrote:
Red Rockets Glare wrote:
trodden wrote:
you mean UTFSF!!!!

that shit don't play homie.

ahahaha!

I SAID HAVE A NICE DAY!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:34 am

Regarding the SH32

for cheap and nasty synth i highly recomend this bad boy here, esp since they're only about $199.

I'm a fan of analog boxes and VIs, so I don't consider myself to be an "analog snob" per se. I think that some of the sounds in the MicroKorg sound good, and a lot fo the bands that I am into (Apostle of Hustle, Do Make Say Think, Broken Social Scene, etc) use both the Micron and the Microkorg live and in the studio. I like what they do with both.

When I check out a hardware synth or a VI and the filter steps, I consider that to be a major problem. Sampletank and Sonic Synth both do this, and the only hardware synth that I had the misfortune of owning that had this problem was the SH-32. Audible steps while tweaking the filter. It just ruined it for me. However, the SH-32 does have a nice-sounding engine. It is a usable synth in some respects. I sold mine and bought a few VIs with the money. MiniMonsta and impOSCar.

Jeff

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:14 pm

the sh-32 does have pretty steppy filters.
that is its ultimate downfall, and probably why they are 200$..
but beyond that the engine, i think is really versital, and pretty gritty. i use it way more then my nord rack. even though the nords filters are way smoother.
i think the reality is you can get good sounds out of all these guys if you work at it.
it's about how you use the synth. if you don't know how to program one. you not going to get good sound anyways. so witch one you have doesn't matter. i think the sh32 is an amazing deal, and a great, first synth. then you can get more as you feel it.
IMO i would rather spend on a sh32, then a mini moog, verse a microkorg and micron.
[assuming mini moogs are still under 1k$ ?]

or just save your self a lot of hassle, and get an old roland juno. [this should be in reality the defacto "first synth" imo]

panda
skycave wrote:Regarding the SH32

for cheap and nasty synth i highly recomend this bad boy here, esp since they're only about $199.

I'm a fan of analog boxes and VIs, so I don't consider myself to be an "analog snob" per se. I think that some of the sounds in the MicroKorg sound good, and a lot fo the bands that I am into (Apostle of Hustle, Do Make Say Think, Broken Social Scene, etc) use both the Micron and the Microkorg live and in the studio. I like what they do with both.

When I check out a hardware synth or a VI and the filter steps, I consider that to be a major problem. Sampletank and Sonic Synth both do this, and the only hardware synth that I had the misfortune of owning that had this problem was the SH-32. Audible steps while tweaking the filter. It just ruined it for me. However, the SH-32 does have a nice-sounding engine. It is a usable synth in some respects. I sold mine and bought a few VIs with the money. MiniMonsta and impOSCar.

Jeff

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:27 pm

2nd the juno recommendation
especially the Juno6 as every 60 i owned would crap out
problem with the presets..

but i'm telling you

i've got the mk1 and it rules

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:34 pm

i agree too.. its about how you use the synth not what you EXPECT the synth to be capable of.

all of the synths mentioned be it the ms2000, the mikrokorg, the micron and the sh32 are modellers and they are all technically "budget synths" maybe not the ms2000 but considering its the same engine as the mikro im lumping it in.

if you're gonna go budget you may as well go BUDGET and in that category you can buy a new SH32 for less money than a used mikrokorg.. hell you'd have a enough left over to maybe snag a CZ or a cheap DX too...

personally id rather have two totally different synths than one more expensive one...

incidently i too had heard about the step filtering or zippering on the sh32s... personally it really doesnt bother me in the slightest... maybe some are worse than others.. i dont know.. but for me it's a pretty negligable issue.. and i tweak that fileter knob 24 / 7.

if anything i like the sh32 the most because it has the most knobs outside of the ms2000.. there's no hidden menus, no scrolling to find shit.. everything is clearly laid out i nfront and there's a knob or button for EVERY function... that alone makes the synth ten times better than a micron or mikro. not to mention its also made out of metal, has a tap function, more voices than the mikro, and damn it just sounds "better" to me than the mikro does.

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:36 pm

r0ck1r0ck2 how much does that thing run?

monophonic too right?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:40 pm

Id so love a Juno 60.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:49 pm

she is monophonic indeed
about $300 i think..
the mk1 can be had for under $200..
of course the problem is that they are hard to come by..

look, about 3 years ago i picked up that roland box
my 3rd juno60 had finally taken a shit on me so i was really excited about that slider box...i hate menus..need them knobs/sliders..
i really put in work on it to make it useful but it just didn't cut it for me

had it for less than a week...
traded it for a mfb synthlite at nova musik...

i think they still have some of the mk1s laying around...i'll give them a ring..

they love me cause i make their life hell

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:52 pm

you should check this page out...it's funny

http://www.sequencer.de/mfb/mfb-synth.html

here's a uk page with the mkII
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-183486.html

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:54 pm

and by the by..
3-4 years later she's running like a top...
no problems..