When do you think we're going to see the Digi 003?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

When do you think we're going to see the Digi 003?

Post by Barry Jive » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:23 am

Hey guys,

I'm interested in a protools set up, but at this point I can't justify it looking at the strength of their pro-sumer products. Why buy a Digi 002r when I can get the Mackie 400f with better pres, convertors, and a lower price? I like protools as software, and it's nice to not worry about compatability as I have when working with Nuendo and Logic systems, but unless a significantly improved 003 is on the way I think I'll have to go with the Mackie.

Thanks for any info,

-Eric

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:47 am

I could do without a 003, if it will inherit the role of a drastically over-sized dongle.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:50 am

That is to say, I am in agreement with you on your hesitation to purchase required digidesign hardware.

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:17 pm

just out of curiosity...why you have pretty much settled on a mackie interface? it's kind of like settling for 10th best.

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Barry Jive » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:44 pm

seaneldon wrote:just out of curiosity...why you have pretty much settled on a mackie interface? it's kind of like settling for 10th best.
Cetanorak- Yeah, I'm interested in the rack version. If that's an oversize dongle I might be missing something. I've never gotten the appeal of the regular one other than you get to play with faders.

Sean- Why do you think it's so bad? If you're like me and need
1.)4 pres
2.)nice pres
3.)good ADA
4.)Rack Mounted

It seems like you could do alot worse. The RME box I've heard has slightly better ADA, but worse pres, and it's more money. Is there something else I should consider?

-Eric

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:55 pm

mackie is generally known for horrible support and updates and drivers when it comes to anything digital recording, for one.

second, which preamps are "better" is subjective. i think the preamps on the fireface are more than fine. you'd be better off buying something outboard any which way you go.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:05 pm

From my experience, owning a 002R, I have grown to view the pre's/converters as undesirable in quality, and consequentially, in application. So aside from it's interfacing capabilities (combining inputs to a firewire cable, which is necessary with my powerbook) it does little more for me than enable me to use the Digidesign software. Even when using external pre's/converters, I still have to carry around this 002R just to use the software...thus, my "oversized-dongle" denomination.

Of course, this is all personal opinion and preference. The 002R may be useful to others. That main point of my post is that I am still disgruntled, as many others are, that Digidesign has not allowed us to utilize the software without the detectable presence of their hardware.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:16 pm

don't look at me, i'm still using the 001.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:28 pm

seaneldon wrote:just out of curiosity...why you have pretty much settled on a mackie interface? it's kind of like settling for 10th best.
I'm new at this and looking for opinions as to what you think is 1st, 2nd and 3rd best then? Thanks!
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:34 pm

there's a million ways to go. you could go MOTU HD192 or Lynx system but you'd need outboard preamps and DIs. MOTU 896HD offers 8 decent preamps and lightpipe and AES/EBU, the 828mkII only has 2 preamps but it cheap enough to where adding more preamps wouldn't be hard. the Yamaha I88X sounds ridiculously good for $399, has two great preamps, lightpipe, but the drivers aren't the best.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:41 pm

I too am just using a Digi 001 but i say if you are weary about buy Digidesign then go with Motu. They make some really great stuff.

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:57 pm

The ProTools options out there (besides HD systems) are not inspiring. With LE you've got Mbox and 002/r. With MP you've got M-Audio interfaces.

But as to when we'll see the 003...I think we already did. It's called the M-Audio ProjectMix I/O.
y.t. > Silverlode
http://thebside.org

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:14 pm

trodden wrote:don't look at me, i'm still using the 001.
Me too. This late in the game im not going to buy a 002. Ill wait for the 003 and see what it has to offer. If its underwelming Ill just check out other options then. Until that day, viv la 001!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:33 pm

The Spark wrote:
trodden wrote:don't look at me, i'm still using the 001.
Me too. This late in the game im not going to buy a 002. Ill wait for the 003 and see what it has to offer. If its underwelming Ill just check out other options then. Until that day, viv la 001!
totes man. I figure i'm still doing a lot of learning and the 001 works completely fine for me. I don't know if there is any major difference in converter quality between the 001 and 002 which is pretty much the only thing i'd be interested in. But i've not heard/witnessed anything significant, and I've heard some pretty fucking amazing records done on a 001. Since i don't have room or budget for any type of 16 - 24 track tape machine or a HD system.. hell even an old Mix system... I'm rocking the 001 along with the alesis AI-3 on os 9 with PT 5.1!!!! Fuck i'm cool.

Speaking of the Alesis Ai-3, Used to borrow one when i needed it, and would devote it to anything over the 8 inputs for the digi, but now have my own, but have not had a chance to really hear a difference in converter quality between it and the 001's converters. Anyone have any substantial research or ideas behind the idea of one being better than the other? Basically, just because I don't hear any difference, doesn't mean there isn't one, thats for sure! I'm still learning how to "hear" in "different" ways and there are many other variables at issue when it comes to me noticing any difference.

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:47 pm

cetanorak wrote: Of course, this is all personal opinion and preference. The 002R may be useful to others. That main point of my post is that I am still disgruntled, as many others are, that Digidesign has not allowed us to utilize the software without the detectable presence of their hardware.
And how much did you pay for the PT software? Do you enjoy the stability of PT? I don't think you would have that stability if the program could run with other hardware.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, but I see the Digi DAW system as a whole, and think it works very well. It is solid as a rock for me and suits my particular needs. To each his own.

I wonder if Digi could ever get around needing the hardware attached for the software to work.

PC
I don't know karate but I know ka-razy!