PC OR MAC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:07 pm

Sorry, Stratology, but my comp can handle that too.

The whole "which is more powerful" thing depends on the individual set up. My point is that I can make something equally as powerful for a third of the price, and though people seem to think PCs are some kind of death trap, mine doesn't give me any problems. I've never had an issue with viruses (I might think I got one about five years ago, but it was minor and one sweep found it and got rid of it), and spyware isn't a problem either if you know what you're doing. I can also customize everything to my liking easier. Maybe that just comes from using PCs more extensively, but I wasn't into the mac layout. And I went into it expecting to like Macs better. I just don't.
I am wangtacular.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:39 pm

stratology wrote:If you want to find meaningful criticism of the Mac OS and hardware, go to arstechnica, and look up reviews of OS X and Apple hardware. They are much better at pointing out weaknesses than Windows users who are not really familiar with Macs.
you know, this is a good point. it would be way more helpful if mac users criticized macs, and pc users criticized pcs. most of the complaints I hear about macs are horribly outdated. same for pc complaints. we can all agree that windows 98 and os 9 suck.

jkretz
gettin' sounds

Post by jkretz » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:26 pm

i'm going to very blunt about a bad topic....

if you are not looking to legally obtain your recording software, then stick with a PC. there simply are not cracked, up-to-date, versions of the best mac recording apps available (cubase, nuendo, logic-pro).

with that out of the way...

get a mac. i'm a software engineer, and i'd appreciate it if you bought the software you record with :).

but seriously, either will do the job fine. i record on a pc, but my everyday computer is a 12 inch powerbook and i could not live with out it.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:52 am

BeOS suckas!

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:44 am

It's really easy to pick up a free version of DP.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:34 am

I really don't see the big debate. I use both PC and Mac. They both work fine.
Both can get cranky on occasion but generally they both run quite smoothly. When I hear these debates it reminds me of Harley Davidson owners who get pissed at people who ride something else.

stratology
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stratology » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:57 am

Hey Bear,

I guess it's quite obvious from your posts that you are very proficient at setting up and configuring PCs, finding out what hardware works etc. No doubt it's possible to set up a PC so it's possible to do good work on it. No argument there. Someone less proficient might be less successful. I worked with a guy in a studio once, he spent between 30 and 45 minutes troubleshooting his laptop every day, just to keep things running. Had to shut down and reboot so the comp was able to see that a mouse and monitor was plugged in.
When it did work, I really liked Wavelab on it..

Being not able to launch multiple apps was my personal experience. This was on XP PCs, set up by corporate IT guys. If it works for you, this means it was probably a problem with the setup, not a problem with XP.

trashy wrote:
stratology wrote:If you want to find meaningful criticism of the Mac OS and hardware, go to arstechnica, and look up reviews of OS X and Apple hardware. They are much better at pointing out weaknesses than Windows users who are not really familiar with Macs.
you know, this is a good point. it would be way more helpful if mac users criticized macs, and pc users criticized pcs. most of the complaints I hear about macs are horribly outdated. same for pc complaints. we can all agree that windows 98 and os 9 suck.
As far as I know the most common criticism of OS X is the Finder. The Finder in OS 9 worked SO much better. OS X still (at 10.4.5) occasionally forgets views of previously opened Finder windows. And the Finder of my old '98 Rev B iMac (233MHz G3, 288MB RAM, running 9.2.2) is STILL much more responsive than the Finder on the Powerbook (1GHz G4, 768MB RAM).
Personally I found OS X completely unusable before 10.3 came out.
Mac users are often the worst critics of the Mac OS. I've seen forum posts where graphics guys pointed out inconsistencies in the direction of drop shadows of parts of the GUI...

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:31 pm

stratology wrote:Hey Bear,

I guess it's quite obvious from your posts that you are very proficient at setting up and configuring PCs, finding out what hardware works etc. No doubt it's possible to set up a PC so it's possible to do good work on it. No argument there. Someone less proficient might be less successful. I worked with a guy in a studio once, he spent between 30 and 45 minutes troubleshooting his laptop every day, just to keep things running. Had to shut down and reboot so the comp was able to see that a mouse and monitor was plugged in.
When it did work, I really liked Wavelab on it..

Being not able to launch multiple apps was my personal experience. This was on XP PCs, set up by corporate IT guys. If it works for you, this means it was probably a problem with the setup, not a problem with XP.

trashy wrote:
As far as I know the most common criticism of OS X is the Finder. The Finder in OS 9 worked SO much better. OS X still (at 10.4.5) occasionally forgets views of previously opened Finder windows. And the Finder of my old '98 Rev B iMac (233MHz G3, 288MB RAM, running 9.2.2) is STILL much more responsive than the Finder on the Powerbook (1GHz G4, 768MB RAM).
Personally I found OS X completely unusable before 10.3 came out.
Mac users are often the worst critics of the Mac OS. I've seen forum posts where graphics guys pointed out inconsistencies in the direction of drop shadows of parts of the GUI...
Oh, I'm not arguing the stability of a store bought PC versus a store bought mac. Most of the PCs you get from somewhere like Best Buy have one bloated device -- say, a huge processor ... something to put in bold print with an exclamation point -- and then nothing to back it up. So they crash, they get hung up on the silliest things, and some even come stocked with way outdated drivers (sometimes 2 and 3 years old) and hardware conflicts.

But on the flip side, I have a friend who switched to Mac because he was always having trouble with his PC. He didn't really know what he was doing and figured Macs would be easier. His Mac runs pretty poorly too, and struggles with things it is more than capable to run. This isn't the system; he just doesn't know how to work with it, and hardly ever maintains anything. Computers are computers.

Really, the biggest issue I personally have with PCs is finding the right marriage between hardware. Since everything is third party, you can get into some quality control issues. But a little research goes a long way in this regard, and I haven't had a problem with my current system.

My biggest gripe with Macs is the layout and the price. I don't have the money to get a really good one (and even if I did ... I could get a laptop and a desktop for about the same amount), and I don't like the layout of the OS. But they're not bad systems, and I can easily see why people like them. They're just not my bag. I also play the occasional game (well ... counter strike), which is another reason I'm PC.

As for my problems with XP, some of my biggest issues are the way it tries to implement security and other "no hands" kinda stuff. Basically, disabling everything that XP runs automatically in the background and ditching crap like their "firewall" (the first thing every hacker/virus junky tackles) you're resources are already being allotted much better. Use third party security (AVG is really great for watching your back and using very little resources ... and it's free), download updates from the site instead of using the auto version and set up anything like a network manually and most problems will go away. For a home user anyway.
I am wangtacular.