"Digital"...the buzzword.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

"Digital"...the buzzword.

Post by centurymantra » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:38 am

Don't you love how so many manufacturers toss around the word 'digital' and incorporate it into product names or descriptions solely for it's use as a buzzword? With the whole notion that's been foisted forth that Digital=Better, (and it CAN be...I'm not starting that debate), it's slowly become one of the more tired buzzwords (closely followed by 'Extreme') I thought about this today as I was taking out a couple of Duracell "Ultra Digital" AA batteries. It seems especially ridiculous to employ that kind of tagline on what is truly an antiquated technology. But hey...they MUST be getting better now that they've got digital batteries!

I don't know...just my observation of the day. It's certainly overused in the audio community...kinda like the "Digital" earbud headphones I picked up awhile back.

msmith4060
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by msmith4060 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:25 am

Totally....And the funny thing is that the coin goes both ways...."Analog". Everything old and analog is suppossed to be magical now. There are plenty of things "analog" that Id be happy letting stay dead. Youll see something on EBay, oh I dunno, an old japanese 1/4" machine that runs at 7.5 ips, and was a POS before it was even off the assembly line---but hey-its analog--its gotta be good right....These items are always followed with a "warm up those ProTools mixes" tag.
The other big red button, stupid...

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:51 am

What! You mean my digital speakers are really the same ole design, a coil, cone and a magnet!! NO, there has to be some logic in there somewhere.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:44 pm

Let's not forget tubes in this discussion.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:47 pm

I'm confused. Do you mean 'digital', as in, 'of or pertaining to the fingers?' A really snappy audio device should be touted as 'otic' for maximum emphasis on the hearing faculties.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:34 am

I love it when disney comercials come on about whatever old movie they are "releasing from the vault" and they say "DIGITALY RE-MATSTERED" Like that atomatically means its gonna sound and or look "BETTER", cause its digital now! I see this all the time on digital media these days.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:05 am

My favorite is when you go to the movies and before the show, you get that little animated graphic thing and it says, "this theatre features DIGITAL SOUND...!"

I'm like, "yeah - so does my car."

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:02 am

Tatertot wrote:I'm confused. Do you mean 'digital', as in, 'of or pertaining to the fingers?' A really snappy audio device should be touted as 'otic' for maximum emphasis on the hearing faculties.
Have you heard of the new Digiotic earplugs?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:26 am

Cyan421 wrote:I love it when disney comercials come on about whatever old movie they are "releasing from the vault" and they say "DIGITALY RE-MATSTERED" Like that atomatically means its gonna sound and or look "BETTER", cause its digital now! I see this all the time on digital media these days.
Dood, those new disney movies DO look better! Can't you see the "old" vs. "new" comparison immediately following said remastering schpeel? :wink:

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:40 am

mertmo wrote:My favorite is when you go to the movies and before the show, you get that little animated graphic thing and it says, "this theatre features DIGITAL SOUND...!"

Yeah, that one is the classic and possibly most abused use of the word. Once I really started noticing this, I would actually laugh out loud in the theatre when seeing this. Like I was saying, the average consumer has been trained to equate DIGITAL with BETTER. Never mind that sound is seems to be getting progressively worse in most theatres...at least those of the shoebox variety. I do also get a kick out of the way they will overstate notes of a film being digitally remastered. This is especially funny when you you see it on those $5.99 budget DVD's jammed in front of bins in checkout lanes at grocery stores. I'm sure those definitely look better than the original. :roll:

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:51 am

Digital stimulation is what a paraplegic uses to initiate bowel movements.

I guess that's one huge metaphor for this case, don'tchathink? :oneeye:

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:43 pm

centurymantra wrote:
mertmo wrote:My favorite is when you go to the movies and before the show, you get that little animated graphic thing and it says, "this theatre features DIGITAL SOUND...!"

Yeah, that one is the classic and possibly most abused use of the word. Once I really started noticing this, I would actually laugh out loud in the theatre when seeing this. Like I was saying, the average consumer has been trained to equate DIGITAL with BETTER. Never mind that sound is seems to be getting progressively worse in most theatres...at least those of the shoebox variety. I do also get a kick out of the way they will overstate notes of a film being digitally remastered. This is especially funny when you you see it on those $5.99 budget DVD's jammed in front of bins in checkout lanes at grocery stores. I'm sure those definitely look better than the original. :roll:

Well,my digital cable definitely looks worse. Compression artifacts all over the damn place. And Comcast wonders why I won't use them for internet service...
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:53 pm

it was like that in the 30's with the word Radio-
ex: Radio City Music Hall

it's also been like that

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:27 pm

I just want digital food, then I'll be happy.
I am wangtacular.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:42 pm

nestle wrote:it was like that in the 30's with the word Radio-
ex: Radio City Music Hall

it's also been like that
Yeah, also 'cyber', 'semiconductor', and even in the early 1960s there was a big hype about 'electronic'.

Imagine: "Try massaging your sound with our state-of-the-art ELECTRONIC preamp!"