Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

these_go211
pushin' record

new moog!!

Post by these_go211 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:19 am

have you guys seen this:
http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=227

geez i don't need this kind of temptation. but a new monophonic moog priced at $1475! sure beats paying $3K for the voyager. must resist urge to buy must resist urge to buy must resist urge to buy must resist urge to buy must resist urge to buy............................ :x
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:21 am

I've heard the Moog community is all up in arms because some circuit boards in that thing are made in China. But for that price, I say, you have to have some compromises.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:29 am

Me timbers a'shiver. And look there under the filter knob. There is a button marked..."OVERLOAD." i mean it looks cool and it probably sounds good but that is so not worth 1400$ wtf . a juno 106 can do everything that does and more so like yeah plus it has ugly alesis pitch benders. or did moog use those first I like how the digital LCD reads "100% analogue sound generation." It's a pretty keyboard. But... for $1400 you could get a modular... I don't understand why people value the moog name so much. The voyager is pretty, too, but it's still just a fixed-path mono-synth... The Juno 106 is a single oscillator + LFO, this looks to have two syncable oscillators + LFO. Not enough knobs, anyway. and a stupid ass name.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:36 am

i should thank you for slapping some negativity to this, seriously. i'm not being sarcastic. but still, i want one!!!

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:40 am

Girl Toes wrote:Me timbers a'shiver. And look there under the filter knob. There is a button marked..."OVERLOAD." i mean it looks cool and it probably sounds good but that is so not worth 1400$ wtf . a juno 106 can do everything that does and more so like yeah plus it has ugly alesis pitch benders. or did moog use those first I like how the digital LCD reads "100% analogue sound generation." It's a pretty keyboard. But... for $1400 you could get a modular... I don't understand why people value the moog name so much. The voyager is pretty, too, but it's still just a fixed-path mono-synth... The Juno 106 is a single oscillator + LFO, this looks to have two syncable oscillators + LFO. Not enough knobs, anyway. and a stupid ass name.
you can get a dual humbucker electric guitar for way cheaper than $2k but that doesn't mean it's a les paul. something to think about.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:46 am

I'm not gonna buy it, I just think it's neat that there's a new moog thing. Wouldn't mind giving it a try that's for sure... I'll still run over my own grandmother to get a Minimoog model D.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:48 am

Yep. That is a pretty stupid name. I'd hate to spend that much money on something and then feel embarassed everytime I mention its name.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:02 am

moog woodplane?

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:10 am

i do agree that it is an unbelievably STUPID name. i've read some other forums where even the most hardcore moog users are pretty disappointed with it too. that being said i still....ok ok i'll stop.....doooooooh!

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:03 pm

Word is the current one is a limited edition, and the regular one will have a street price around a grand. That make it a little more reasonable.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

cdbabel
gettin' sounds

Post by cdbabel » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:16 pm

I've started a WikiRecording article on the "Little Phatty":

http://www.wikirecording.org/Little_Phatty
-E Jeff Einowski
WikiRecording@cdbabel.com
Editor in Chief
www.cdbabel.com
www.wikirecording.org
Promoting Community in Music

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:03 am

Little Phatty?! gross name...

It sure looks cool and sounds good though..

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:13 am

one of the things that bothers me is that the panel does not move - its stuck in that weird position so getting a case for this thing is going to be a task. THey are not going to be small roadcases thats for sure

also, the digital control is kina lame - might as well save some money and get an old source if you want digital control.

this is a nice sounding synth though - but another analog monosynth? Who needs it these days. I am surprised that this thing exists at all if for no other reason than to honor Bobs wishes and pay respects to his name.

I know I am not getting one, and yeah the name is kinda weak.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:39 am

Sonic State has a video demo of the LP at Musikmesse and it sounds pretty good.

Yeah you can get a Source, but they're selling for almost as much as the MSRP of the LP and the Source doesn't have MIDI and only stores sixteen programs. Yes there is a MIDI retrofit for the Source but its MIDI implementation isn't as good as the LP. Also the modulation options are much better on the LP.

the tiny dancer
audio school graduate

Post by the tiny dancer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:48 am

I just got one...couldn't resist.

Personally, I think it's totally worth it. I've had junos, roland xp's, etc. Basically a bunch of keyboards that you play when you "need a keyboard part." For me (and maybe only me), the layout and a design that relates to the physics of synthesis makes me want to sit down and play it. Maybe I'm retarded or something.

I do wish I had my Juno 2 back, though!

Plus, it's like automatic access to all of those "how did they get that sound on that record" sounds I dream of.

kb