Top three Steve Albini recordings.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Earthjones
audio school

Top three Steve Albini recordings.

Post by Earthjones » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:57 am

What are your three favorite Steve Albini recordings? Has anybody here recorded at Electrcal Audio? Discuss......

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:32 am

Pixies - Surfa Rosa
PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
Nirvana - In Utero

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:29 am

My #1 is Palace Music, Viva Last Blues. Sounds just like a band practice.

Earthjones
audio school

Post by Earthjones » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:55 am

Which of these records were done at Electrcal?

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:38 am

Lungs Big Black
Pixies Surfer Rosa
The Ex Starters Alternators

I an not sure if Starters Alternators was recorded at Electrical. A fourth on my list would be the Eight Bold Souls album he recorded. That was done at Electrical.

A band I was in recorded there and he engineered. It was a great experience. He's very helpful and right there for you. He's like a musical midwife. He wants you to be happy with what you are doing and how it comes out. If we had a problem with how something sounded, he made good suggestions on how to fix it.

Here is a song we recorded. Any suckfulness is totally on us.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:42 am

I personaly really enjoy:

1) Nina Nastasia's Blackened Air
2) The New Year, The End is Near
3) Make Believe (I forget the name of the record)

Those records really sound remarkable. Other notable records are McLuskyDo Dallas, Robby Fulks, Couples In Trouble, Low, Things We Lost In the fire, The Frames, For the Birds and countless others...

I have recorded at Electrical several times as an engineer and once as a band. That studio rules like no other that I've ever worked or played in.

Also, none of the above records mentioned were recorded at Electrical.

best,
mike

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:49 am

The 8 Bold Souls album is called Last Option. It was recorded at Electrical.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:55 am

Randy wrote:The 8 Bold Souls album is called Last Option. It was recorded at Electrical.
yeah, my post did not refer to you post, we were typing at the same time. sorry!
mike

3db@1K
gettin' sounds

Post by 3db@1K » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:03 am

Jesus Lizard - Goat
?Hands down his best.... The stars where aligned...

Shellac - At Action Park

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

Rapeman - Two Nuns and A Pack mule
? Grew up with this, very influential for me. Great sounds...

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:35 am

Here's two I really love that haven't been mentioned yet:

God Speed You Black Emperor - UXO
I really actually dislike the sounds he got for the violin & cello on this one - I'm a bit more critical on string sounds as I'm a cellist and do a bit of string recording for my group. The strings sound thin and scratchy on this CD but I guess it was the sound they had in the room when playing all together and captured in his "documentary" style - but otherwise the sounds, compositions, vibe and performance on this record is truly amazing and it works really well as a complete whole. Not an easy thing to do with arrangements this thick, dynamic or intricate!

Shannon Wright - Over the Sun -
an amazing capturing of a minimalist setup of a gigantic voice, guitar and drums. My own preference would be a tiny wee bit more of upper mids and low end thump on the mastering - but otherwise this is a CD that to my ear can be used as a reference for what an excellent mix means. Great example of how Albini's "methods" can be perfect when working with a truly already inspired musician where the best thing is to not interfere with their creativity.

Somehow "Rid of Me" just seemed flat and ironicially, dry in its sound to me in comparison to the Head engineered "Dry" - but that's just personal preference.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:47 am

Cellotron wrote: Shannon Wright - Over the Sun -
an amazing capturing of a minimalist setup of a gigantic voice, guitar and drums. My own preference would be a tiny wee bit more of upper mids and low end thump on the mastering - but otherwise this is a CD that to my ear can be used as a reference for what an excellent mix means. Great example of how Albini's "methods" can be perfect when working with a truly already inspired musician where the best thing is to not interfere with their creativity.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
yeah, this record sounds awesome. It is a little "dark" sounding, but it fits the music and mood of the album really well.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:53 am

Okay, I'll play:

Nina Nastasia - The Blackened Air
Recorded at Electrical. Like Mike said, it's a gorgeous-sounding record with very interesting writing and excellent performances.

Nina Nastasia - Dogs
Also recorded at Electrical. Also gorgeous-sounding. A little different from The Blackened Air. Naybe a little thicker on the bottom, but still ridsiculously good-sounding.

Page & Plant - Walking Into Clarksdale
I love the way this album sounds, especially the songs recorded at RAK. The rest if the record was done at Abbey Road.

I also love the way In Utero sounds, even if it's not entirely representative of Steve's work. For The Birds is also an amazing-sounding record, even if Steve only did one tune. The other stuff recorded at Electrical sounds great. I also happen to really dig Surfer Rosa and the Shellac stuff, too.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:58 am

hey chris, aren't going to mix there pretty soon? when is that?

mike

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:10 am

Michael Gregory Bridavsky wrote:hey chris, aren't going to mix there pretty soon? when is that?
Yeah, I'm mixing the Griffy Rhodes record up there at the end of June--largely based on your recommendation and the recommmendation of a few other people who've worked there and have all said the same thing. I'm really looking forward to it. Three days in Studio A. Greg's going to assist. I've been there and seen the studio and it's gorgeous and very smart, but I haven't worked there yet. By the beginning of July, I'll be able to report to this thread with a little more first-hand information regarding working there. I'm pretty sure it won't suck.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:50 am

Chevelle's Point #1. After that they turned retarted.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...