Digi 002 Rack vs. M-Audio 1814?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Max
takin' a dinner break

Digi 002 Rack vs. M-Audio 1814?

Post by Max » Fri May 05, 2006 11:36 am

Hi there,
I ordered a digi 002 rack two days ago at a local music store. I've used the boxed before and quite liked it.
Today I got called from the store and asked if I really wanted to have it or if I wouldn't like to have the M-Audio 1814 instead.
The guy told me that the 1814 would be supporting ProTools 7.1 LE as well and would be "as good as" the digi 002 but about $400 cheaper.
I'm not very experienced when it comes to digital audio and only plan to get a digital set up for mobile recordings.
I have a Focusrite ISA 428 that has 8 digital outputs that I was planning to hook up with the digi 002 to give me 16 analog inputs.

Do you have an opinion about the M-Audio box? I'm not to fussed about the mic pre-amps in either of the two units since I have a couple of decent pre-amps that I'd like to use instead. Does the 1814 sound as good/bad as the 002? I'm a bit concerned since it only has unbalanced inputs.
I've witnessed scenarios in music stores where people have been told to buy the Epiphone Les Paul instead of the Gibson because it was "as good as" the Gibson for only half the price.
Did the guy recommend the 1814 because he has one in his shop that he wants to get rid of and doesn't want to order the 002 (which he hasn't in stock) or is it really good?
I did use the search function but my search didn't come up with a lot of info.
Best,
Max

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri May 05, 2006 12:17 pm

I would really be interested in this too. As I was looking at a 002 rack as well. But the 1814 has word clock and less mic pres(which is good for me), although it has that weird cable connector.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Fri May 05, 2006 12:44 pm

What the guy failed to tell you is that if you go the M-Audio route, you will have to dish out another $300 or so for ProTools M-Powered, as that is sold separately, unlike Digi hardware which includes the software.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri May 05, 2006 1:07 pm

pk wrote:What the guy failed to tell you is that if you go the M-Audio route, you will have to dish out another $300 or so for ProTools M-Powered, as that is sold separately, unlike Digi hardware which includes the software.
The 1814 interface and the software separately add up to $750 and the 002R is $1200. $450 difference!

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri May 05, 2006 3:12 pm

bump she bump

goldsend
audio school

Post by goldsend » Sun May 07, 2006 6:19 pm

You're right, it is 450 bucks cheaper. But what's missing there is the fact that with a digi 002, you will also get a priceless amount of free plug-ins. Now for some that is not a factor, but all I know is that the plug ins included with the 002 add up to like over a 800 when sold separately. It all depends on the need. I am going to purchase a digi 002r soon, I was considering an M-audio of some kind whether it be this kind, or the projectmix. But the software is much better for the 002. Plus PT LE is much more stress free when used with a digi product as oppossed to a 3rd party product such as M-audio and M-powered

kikocoolray
gettin' sounds

Post by kikocoolray » Sun May 07, 2006 7:56 pm

goldsend wrote:But the software is much better for the 002. Plus PT LE is much more stress free when used with a digi product as oppossed to a 3rd party product such as M-audio and M-powered
This hasn't been my experience at all. Have you used M-Powered? So far for me it is, for all practical purposes, identical to LE. I chose the 1814 over the 002r and am very happy with it.

audio[LAB]
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by audio[LAB] » Mon May 08, 2006 2:37 am

[/quote]The 1814 interface and the software separately add up to $750 and the 002R is $1200. $450 difference![/quote]

You can get the digi 002R for way less than 1200. I just bought one brand new from guitar center and if you negotiate like i did you can get it for 850 with taxes!!! wich is well worth it!!!

Those guitar center guys are authorized to give way better deals then they let off to believe. If you pay for anything full MSRP in there than you didnt barter hard enough......i had a friend who worked there that told me they don't like to give to many discounts cause it cuts into their comission.....but if you go straight to a manager they don't get comission so they hook you up every time no hesitation....at least thats been my experience.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Mon May 08, 2006 12:06 pm

I bought an 1814 'cuz I wanted the word clock. I also like using the 1814 with a variety of other Windows apps like SawStudio, EAC and even iTunes occasionally. I don't mix in ProTools so the plug-ins meant little.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Mon May 08, 2006 12:27 pm

I own both.
I don't find the m-audio version to be terribly reilable with pro tools. I work off of a powerbook G4 with a single processor and the m-audio definitely has a lot more problems than when I'm working with the 002.

That said, the connectivity of the 1814 is, in general better, particularly with external converters. You can't connect lightpipe at 88.2 or 96k on the 002 but you can with the 1814.

So, for more solid reliability and less software entanglements, the 002 is a better option. For greater connectivity via digital, a smaller footprint, bus power portability and a cheaper price, go with the 1814.

The unbalanced inputs on the 1814 are bullshit too. The whole thing feels a little bit cheap compared to the 002.

I don't think the plug-ins offered on the 002 factory are all that great and if I were going to spend extra dough on plugs, I'd probably search e-bay for something that was better than what's offered.

This probably just makes it more confusing, but that's why I now have both. instead of selling my 002, like I had planned to do before I bought the 1814, I realized how far short of my expectations it fell... can't return the software and figured the 1814 could be useful... and it is for the most part.

On the whole, if I had to pick one over the other, I'd probably stick with 002 though. I hate the firewire driver software that lives between protools and the interface. I think it slows me down a lot and makes trouble shooting take twice as long...

my .02
Hope that helps
Last edited by mwingerski on Mon May 08, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Mon May 08, 2006 12:27 pm

I decided to get the 002 because of the balanced +4dB inputs. My tape machine's outputs are +4dB and if I'm dumping basic tracks from my analoge multitrack to PT I don't want to send them through a mixer first before going to a -10dB interface.
If the 1814 had balanced inputs I probably would have gone that route.

jimj166
audio school

Post by jimj166 » Mon May 08, 2006 11:49 pm

I registered just to reply to this thread. I don't seem to have seen anyone talk about the sound quality of these 2 units. Just all about features. What are these times coming to?

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Tue May 09, 2006 12:40 am

I'm not very experienced when it comes to digital audio and only plan to get a digital set up for mobile recordings.
I have a Focusrite ISA 428 that has 8 digital outputs that I was planning to hook up with the digi 002 to give me 16 analog inputs.
I might be wrong about this but doesnt the mbox hardware only give you 2 preamp inputs? If so, you wouldn't be able to use your focusrite the way you intend to for multitracking with the mbox hardware. Also, if you plan on using it for live remote multitracking, then I would go with the 002. I would think that going firewire would be way more reliable than going USB which is (I think) what the mbox goes through. All this is hearsay as I've never used an mbox.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Tue May 09, 2006 12:48 am

Due to financial hardship I recently stepped down from a Digi002R to an Mbox and never thought I would regret the move as much as I do. I hate the mbox, it sounds like crap, the converters are rubbish, and the monitoring system is absolutely stupid. I am doing much better with cash now and considering buying another 002R. However, as much as it sounds better than an mbox, I do plan on buying a few good pres and a UA 2192 in a few weeks, so that will take care of the mediocre conversion and clock issues most pro-sumer gear is plagued with.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Tue May 09, 2006 7:49 am

the mbox is a totally different interface from the m-audio firewire 1814. And I would agree with anybody about its drawbacks and limitations.

As far as sound quality goes, Max mentioned that he's already got some external converters in the ISA428 which are pretty good and sound way better than either the 002 or the 1814.

I always use external converters with the 1814 (the main reason I bought it), so I've never heard how it actually it sounds. 002 sound pretty decent. Far better than the m-box.