Reccamend A Laptop

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jazcid
audio school

Reccamend A Laptop

Post by Jazcid » Sat May 13, 2006 4:35 pm

I am going to college in the fall to major in Audio For Visual Media, at Columbia College in Chicago. What would be the best laptop for me? Order and customize a dell, or get an Apple Mac Book Pro, or even something else. Thanks for any help.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat May 13, 2006 4:43 pm

Talk to the school and see what they recommend. It'd be a bad move to buy something based on what people say here, then get there and find out you need the opposite. The school might also have some deals you could take advantage of.

Jazcid
audio school

Post by Jazcid » Sat May 13, 2006 5:34 pm

Yeah, They have a deal with both Dell and Apple.

joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo
audio school graduate

Post by joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo » Sat May 13, 2006 7:46 pm

The new MacBooks have Intel chips and boot to Windows XP if you need. I think that offers the most versatility. One thing you may consider and I usually advise friends when purchasing a computer is to wait until you truly need it. By fall and without fail the computers (dell or apple) will all be sporting improved core duo version 2 chips and surely some incremental upgrades. If you can hold out that long, I know the excitement of wanting that new computer NOW! :D

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat May 13, 2006 7:51 pm

I think this might qualify as a COMPUTER QUESTION, and ot os moved to computer world.

Thanks.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Sun May 14, 2006 11:29 am

Every computer company will be introducing new machines with improved chips. As a rule of thumb, I avoid buying a Rev 1 anything, but the Apples look pretty nice.

Consider what software you are going to use, as which machine is best with that software. Also bear in mind the increased security of an Apple, and the bundled software when comparing costs.

Regards,
H

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun May 14, 2006 9:02 pm

Get an Intel Mac! The dual boot thing has basically now made it so I'll never, ever buy a Wintel-only machine ever again. Yay!
(Have my beloved Mac OS and my needed from time to time Windows, too..! With fewer machines all over the house and studio. It's rediculous, actually.)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

MAR
audio school graduate

Post by MAR » Mon May 15, 2006 7:53 am

Whatever one you get, make sure it has spellcheck.
Reccamend
RECOMMEND

Jazcid
audio school

Post by Jazcid » Thu May 18, 2006 2:54 pm

I thinkI may just get the Apple Mac Book over the Mac Book Pro, becasue I found out that they have extensive labs, I will have an intel mac, it jsut will be better on my budjet that dropping about 2 grand on a laptop.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu May 18, 2006 3:17 pm

I got a macbook yesterday, and it rules. It's gotta be the best deal on macs ever, IMO.

Highlights: digital in/out...screen spanning...so far, it's mor sprightly than my imac g5 with gig more ram...

thing is sweet.