IS ANYONE USING TUNECORE OR HAVE ANY REVIEW OF IT

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Commodore
audio school graduate

IS ANYONE USING TUNECORE OR HAVE ANY REVIEW OF IT

Post by Commodore » Mon May 29, 2006 10:06 pm

Hello,

It's been a few months now since Tunecore has launched and I have not found many reviews or more specifically user stories about them online. If you have used them to get your music on iTunes can you please tell me how it went? Have they paid you? What was your overall experience?

Anyone have any inside information about the company other than what they have on their website? It sounds like a great service but I want to be 100% sure things are going smooth with the company before I put several albums online with them.

This is their website:
http://www.tunecore.com/

Thanks for any new information!
-Commodore

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue May 30, 2006 3:28 am

We're using it. So far we've only got one month's receipts, but it's worked fine. It took them a little while to get their user system set up. It's running now, though we haven't requested a check yet.

A few hiccups so far: all our tracks were marked explicit on iTunes, though there's not a single cuss word or blue moment. Also, a couple months after they introduced musicnet/napster as new stores & we opted to distribute through them, our songs still aren't on these services. Which reminds me I need to follow up on that...

So it's not a perfect expereince, but so far we're happy.

Commodore
audio school graduate

Post by Commodore » Tue May 30, 2006 3:50 am

Very happy to hear from a real user finally... thanks for the information.

How many songs or albums did you put up?

(Send us an iTunes link so we can check out your stuff!)

Anyone else using Tunecore?
-Commodore

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue May 30, 2006 6:47 am

We put up one 5-song E.P., here's the link:

city-state: Wolves + 4 EP

Commodore
audio school graduate

Post by Commodore » Tue May 30, 2006 7:16 am

I like There is Nothing Here and You Wait the most... nice voice...

whats the vocal chain?
-Commodore

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue May 30, 2006 8:15 am

Thanks, the voice isn't mine, but I like the way he sings. The vocal chain was a groove tubes md6tm to a speck micpre 5.0 into a motu 828. Compression was software, probably blockfish/spitfish or samplitude's am-track. Reverb was samplitude's impulse responses. Delay if it's there was any was internal to samplitude (ecox) or one of a couple freeware options, catdelay and (I forget what the 2nd was).

I'm almost reluctant to talk about how much I like the gt mic, since I'm still looking to pick up a 2nd if I see one on e-bay. It's a really nice sounding mic, especially on quiet male vocals like these. Don't think too many were made though. The speck pres, I like a lot. I find them much more three dimensional than my sytek, and the extra options they provide make it easier to get the tone you're looking for going into the box.

Commodore
audio school graduate

Post by Commodore » Tue May 30, 2006 8:22 am

Right now I have a Shure KSM32 going direct into a Motu 828... even with some Powercore plug-ins it's clear to me I need a much better pre...

I was thinking about a Vintech X73i or if I can swing it pricewise an API500 set up...

Too many options out there and Im in Berlin and Im having a hard time finding a place to demo units.
-Commodore

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue May 30, 2006 8:45 am

you may want to think about the black lion audio mod for your 828 if it's a mkii. I think they made a big difference in all the converters, and the pre's are much more usable. Mine's a mki, and he doesn't do that mod anymore, But the mkii mod now improves the clock, so it should be even better now:

black lion 828 mods

I'm also a big fan of the ehx 12ay7 pre. But in any case, the stock pre's in the 828 are not pretty.

Commodore
audio school graduate

Post by Commodore » Tue May 30, 2006 8:55 am

Mine's an MK1... I think from 1998 or something crazy old!

I also have a Presonus Central Station... I think I may be able to bypass the 828's converters...

Eventually the 828 will need to be replaced too.
-Commodore

stonedgrace
audio school

Post by stonedgrace » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:18 pm

Just wanted to chime in here with my TuneCore experience so far.

I just finished up my bands first cd and ran across one of Fletcher's posts on TuneCore and figured why not. It seemed like a good deal and I have friends who are now in their 3 month waiting for CdBaby to get them on iTunes.

I uploaded the cd on May 7th (sunday night). It was completed with TuneCore by Monday morning and out of their hands. Tuesday May 9th we were live on Rhapsody and by Saturday May 13th we are up on the iTunes music store.

So far the service has been amazing. I will be able to tell you more in a month or so, but at this point I'm telling everyone who is looking for online digital distro about TuneCore.
Stoned Grace and StonedSpace

and on iTunes- Cast the First Stone on iTunes

Commodore
audio school graduate

Post by Commodore » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:41 pm

Thanks for the input. So far everyone seems to be having a good experience with them. Im very close to jumping in.

Anyone else out there with anything at all to say about Tunecore?
-Commodore

drunton
pushin' record

Post by drunton » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:57 pm

Sory to not be Tunecore related - have to say, I love my pair of GT6tm's, real sleepers!

BTW: for preamps, if you can solder, check these kits out http://www.jlmaudio.com/Baby_Animal_Mic_Pre.htm
- Another toy that helped destroy the noble race of man
- www.corporatelockdown.com