need some help buying pro tools

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

samezvous
audio school graduate

need some help buying pro tools

Post by samezvous » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:42 am

hello,
i have small analog studio and i am looking to add a pro-tools set-up. i still prefer tracking to analog but i would like the option of editing and mixing in pro-tools. this is my first step into the world of digital recording and i am not too aware of what i need. i looked for pro-tools on ebay but there were so many things i had no idea what i actually needed. so, if anyone out there would be kind enough to maybe put together a list of what specifically i'd need i would greatly appreciate it. i know i need a mac computer but i don't know what kind of ram/memory i'd need. also, do i need anything other that the protools and the computer so that i can send the analog into the digital and be able to play it through my speakers. i know, i'm a pain in the ass. but if anyone could help me put together a list of what i need to get i'd truly be grateful. thenks
eli
eli

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:55 am

Well if you want to get in on the cheap (around $300), find a used Digi001 and the applicable MAC that you need for it (or PC for that matter). You can go to www.digidesign.com and check their compatibility settings or to duc.digidesign.com and talk to a lot of Digi001 users themselves to get a better feel of just what you need.

If you wan't to be a little more current and pay a little more (around $800), pick up a Digi002. Search those same sites for details.

If you're looking to spend big time money and go HD, it gets much more complicated....have fun with that one.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:33 pm

I just did the same thing last x-mas. I've been working all over lately and doing lots of mobile work so I wanted something I could use to work on projects that started somewhere else and/or might end up somewhere else.
I ended up getting a Mac iBook G4 (with as much RAM as I could get) and an MBox 2 with ProTools 7. If I'm at my studio I can use it for my 2 track mix-down (and editing). If I work somewhere else I can import the files to my computer and take them back home to play with. If I need to record more than 2 tracks at once I rent a Digi02 for about $80 a week.
It's a pretty good set-up. I ended up spending about $2600 Canadian ($2200USD?) to get up and running.
I'll end up buying a Digi02 at some point but for now I've got everything I need.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:25 pm

First thing you have to ask yourself with PT is how many inputs do I need to use at once. If the answer is 2, then you can get an M-Box 2 for $450. Version 7 software is included plus a pile of extra software such as Reason, Ableton Live, and BFD drums. If you need 8-16 at once (16 can be had by utilizing an ADAT light pipe convertor) you can get a 002Rack for $1195 or a 002 for $2195. 002 has moving faders, control knobs, transpoort control etc....so you are mousing it a lot less. All three of these products come with the same software but only the 002 and 002R can do 96 khz.
You will want as fast of a computer as you can afford. Mac is probably better, although PC will work just fine too. I'd budget around $2000 for a decent studio computer. I get by with a modest computer but I do acoustic music with pretty small track counts and not a large number of plug-ins.
Pro Tools LE is 32 track but can be expanded to 48 for $500 which includes a selection of nice plugins.
If you want to swing with the big boys you buy Pro Tools HD which will get you 128 tracks and sampling rates of 96 to 192 (depending on the I/O bix you buy). You would budget somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000.
Pro Tools is popular because it is easy to use and given the time to dig into it, very powerful. The box and software is a package from one company so the tech support is good and the interface is less confusing than most other systems.
There's a lot to consider, so if you have a Pro Audio dealer who can show it to you, you'll be better off IMHO.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: need some help buying pro tools

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:59 pm

samezvous wrote:hello,
i have small analog studio and i am looking to add a pro-tools set-up. i still prefer tracking to analog but i would like the option of editing and mixing in pro-tools. this is my first step into the world of digital recording and i am not too aware of what i need. i looked for pro-tools on ebay but there were so many things i had no idea what i actually needed. so, if anyone out there would be kind enough to maybe put together a list of what specifically i'd need i would greatly appreciate it. i know i need a mac computer but i don't know what kind of ram/memory i'd need. also, do i need anything other that the protools and the computer so that i can send the analog into the digital and be able to play it through my speakers. i know, i'm a pain in the ass. but if anyone could help me put together a list of what i need to get i'd truly be grateful. thenks
eli

do you definitely want something with the pro-tools brand??..there are lots of options that are probably better without that name on them..

the sound quality of digital comes from the design and build of the converters and clock more than the software or brand name..so keep that in mind..