Albums that used one microphone to record drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:19 pm

jckinnick wrote:
mjau wrote:Aren't some of the drums on the Soft Bulletin single mic'ed?
The Flaming Lips album? Ill check it out, I just want to see what some sounds are I can get with only one mic.
With the right multi-ban settings you will be very suprized at what you can get...

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:13 pm

soundguy wrote:
Legend has it that its two mics hung from the second story landing and thats it. the room was far too small for that slap you hear and it was probably added with a binson echorec if the gearlist for the truck is at all accurate. If you listen to the records, this micing setup would pretty much set precedent for page's approach to bonhams drum sound for the bulk of everything they would record afterward, just take off the slap delay...

dave
It was a binson. and coles 4038's IIRC
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:24 am

"On a more recent release - Ry Cooder's Mambo Sinuendo is a great study in minimalist micing"

Ooh,

Please tell more. To me, that's the best sounding album Ry Cooder has released. Sounds like a very woody room. But I don't know anything about it. Please tell everything you know.

Drew's Analog Planet
gettin' sounds

Post by Drew's Analog Planet » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:28 pm

AGCurry wrote:Never got to album status, but here's one my band (Billy Spears Band) recorded in 1977. Nice vintage sound, partly because the drummer, Bud Pettit, insisted on one drum mic, overhead. That's Junior Brown singing and playing guitar, and me on the upright bass. Billy Spears on fiddle.

http://www.andycurry.info/BS_Band/Mount ... shower.mp3

Some of the drum-like noise you hear is my bass.
Great! Love that. Wow, Junior Brown has always been a hero of mine. How was the bass mic'd? I love how the bass carries the low-end and is percussive or thumpy enough to sort of BE the kick-drum.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:11 pm

Ethan Holdtrue wrote:
jckinnick wrote:
mjau wrote:Aren't some of the drums on the Soft Bulletin single mic'ed?
The Flaming Lips album? Ill check it out, I just want to see what some sounds are I can get with only one mic.
With the right multi-ban settings you will be very suprized at what you can get...
INDEED. It kinda sucks the life out of a good mono drum sound, but you can pretty much do anything you want to balance the sound. I wish the multiband compressors (waves only :? ) that I have access too could somehow do what they do and maintain some sort of dimension...!

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Talk Talk's album "Laughing Stock". Drums done with one U47. It is talked about in detail in the old TapeOp issue when Phil Brown talks about recording Talk Talk. One of my most favourite albums EVER!
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

residentgiant
audio school

Sharon Jones

Post by residentgiant » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:29 pm

Most of the albums put out by the Daptone and Truth and Soul labels were done with 1 or 2 mics on drums. Down and dirty, gritty oldschool funk. Love this sound.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Pick It Up, Lay It In The Cut

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:37 pm

Ive been listening to Sharon Jones lately are her albums recorded with one mic

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:44 am

Drewcifer wrote: Great! Love that. Wow, Junior Brown has always been a hero of mine. How was the bass mic'd? I love how the bass carries the low-end and is percussive or thumpy enough to sort of BE the kick-drum.
Well, it was almost 30 years ago. I believe it was simply one LDC about 2 feet away, a little above bridge height. For more cuts from this session, you can visit

http://www.andycurry.info/bs_band2.htm

Junior didn't have his git-steel yet, so each of these cuts has him playing either his Gibson ES-330 or Bob Case's Sho-Bud pedal steel.