archival forum of past Tape Op Conferences

Moderator: TapeOpCraig

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Insane Guitar Graveyard Film from TapeOpCon '06

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:05 pm

This you GOTTA see...

http://www.greatmagnetrecording.com/02_ ... webres.mov

...I don't know if the web-res film does it justice but this is just the most amazing thing: the attic of The Chicago Store which is actually in Tucson, AZ.

I'm not really sure how this happened as I've not gotten the straight poop from Craig or anyone on the weirdness of it all. As one person said last weekend, "it looks like a bomb went off at Guitar Center in 1965"...

The attic is probably around 4,000 square feet and almost pitch-black in some places. Everywhere you look there are just literally PILES of guitars, drums, cases, amps and what-have-you strewn helter-skelter as well as hanging from nails on the ceiling. Lots of 60's Sears Catalog-type ripoff guitars and so-forth, many of which are missing some parts. Some of 'em are REALLY interesting and most are not priced. If you had a flashlight and a full day to spare you could probably go through and cherrypick out the good stuff and end up goin' home with a shitload of really cool-ass funky vintage gear for your money. Craig kind of set this up for us but apparently they wouldn't let you up there normally at all.

The basement is about 1/3 as big and equally full of discarded musical riff-raff.

Gnarly.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:30 pm

The trip through the bowels of The Chicago Store was one of the most amazing parts of the 'con, and one of the stranger experiences I've ever had.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:52 pm

Hey, I didn't sign a release for that!

We just got back a little while ago. (Stargazing was insane in the Arizona mountains last night.) I'll try to post a couple of the photos I took in the Chicago store a little later on.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:08 pm

is that language fucking necessary? :lol:
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

drunton
pushin' record

Post by drunton » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:00 pm

The Chicago Store - maybe rename it "The Island of Misfit Instruments" - where every instrument you dreamed of as a starry eyed teenager leafing through the Sears/Penny's catalog goes to wait for someone to love it.... didn't see one, but there had to be several carcases of the Gibson Explorer copy loaded with amp and effects built in - you know you wanted one. :shock:

The stars - yeah Chris, I live in Phoenix, and funny you should mention it - when I took the garbage can out last night, I thought how amazing the stars looked to the South - don't think they have every seemed so vibrant and sparkling.
- Another toy that helped destroy the noble race of man
- www.corporatelockdown.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:13 pm

drunton wrote:The stars - yeah Chris, I live in Phoenix, and funny you should mention it - when I took the garbage can out last night, I thought how amazing the stars looked to the South - don't think they have every seemed so vibrant and sparkling.
It was pretty crazy. On the way out to the mountains, we almost hit a coyote, a couple of rabbits, a cow, and one peccary. When we were out there, we heard the coyote packs (are they packs?) go nuts a couple of times. It was pretty creepy. Really, really beautiful, though.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:33 pm

was it Gregory Peccary?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:20 pm

I just about literally grew up in The Chicago Store. Joe and Mark felt like family to me in those years. It is indeed a crazy place to explore. I used to find SO many sweet vintage guitars and amps tucked/hidden away and forgotten (covered in dust) for decades. Joe used to let us borrow equipment for months on end without payment. He was tough on the outside, but a real sweetheart on the inside.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:25 pm

cgarges wrote:
It was pretty crazy. On the way out to the mountains, we almost hit a coyote, a couple of rabbits, a cow, and one peccary. When we were out there, we heard the coyote packs (are they packs?) go nuts a couple of times. It was pretty creepy. Really, really beautiful, though.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Whenever I go back to see my parents/friends in Tucson, I always stay at my Mom's house out in the middle of the desert. During a typical stay, I'll see javelina, rattlesnakes, scorpions, tarantulas, Coyote, roadrunners, eagles, cardinals, and the occasional deer.

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:31 pm

Meriphew wrote:Whenever I go back to see my parents/friends in Tucson, I always stay at my Mom's house out in the middle of the desert. During a typical stay, I'll see javelina, rattlesnakes, scorpions, tarantulas, Coyote, roadrunners, eagles, cardinals, and the occasional deer.
I saw The Eagles once. Hell Freezes Over tour. Missed the Scorps, though. Maybe this wekend I'll see if they're playing the Petaluma County Fair.
?Raoul Duke

Meriphew
deaf.

Re: Insane Guitar Graveyard Film from TapeOpCon '06

Post by Meriphew » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:32 pm

Caldo71 wrote:
The attic is probably around 4,000 square feet and almost pitch-black in some places.... Craig kind of set this up for us but apparently they wouldn't let you up there normally at all.

The basement is about 1/3 as big and equally full of discarded musical riff-raff.

Gnarly.
There are also other rooms, and hidden passages behind the walls.

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:45 pm

That's where they keep GRANDMA.
?Raoul Duke

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:13 pm

The Chicago Store is where once loved but REALLY crappy & sometimes halfway decent instruments go to die...maybe to be resurected one day...

No words can really descibe that place with any kind of justice...
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:57 am

I also just posted some rad pics HERE...
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 285#319285
?Raoul Duke