The ultimate strumming/recording guitar

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

The ultimate strumming/recording guitar

Post by hammertime » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:48 pm

I've got a billion guitars, but none of them are ideal for strumming. I've got a couple of Nationals (great for slide), a Taylor (great for fingerpicking), a Selmer Maccafferi copy (Gitane DG 255 which I can't recommend enough for the price; great for Gypsy Jazz strumming, single note leads), baritones, blah blah -- but I neglected to get a good Dreadnought that would give me some great strumming sounds. It seems like every time I see someone strumming, they're either using a Martin D-28, or a derivative thereof. They aren't my favorite guitars to play, but I've always noticed that they record extremely well. I wonder if I could get a cheap copy that would do the job?

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:04 pm

Check out the Martin DX1. It's made of shit that will not decompose in the earth for the next several thousand years (high pressure laminate), but it is a phenomenal strumming guitar for around $500.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:34 pm

I'll 2nd the DX1 or even the DXC1. Excellent bang for the buck.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:00 pm

It ain't cheap, but I am a rock-solid Gibson J-45 man. There is nothing like it for rhythm acoustic--it asserts itself in a mix like nothing else. The Epiphone Texan reissues aren't bad, either.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:02 pm

Yeah, some of those Gibson's are pretty nice. I always had a low opinion of them because they always sell their shittiest guitars to places like Guitar Center, and then I played some high-end ones at a shop where they set them up, and they played with the best of them. I always read on advertisements that quote by Jimmy Page that all he plays is a Gibson, but I could have sworn he was playing a Martin Dreadnought when I saw some recent studio footage (or maybe it was a custom Gibson that looked like a D-28?). I'll definitely check some of these low-end martins out. Thanks.
inverseroom wrote:It ain't cheap, but I am a rock-solid Gibson J-45 man. There is nothing like it for rhythm acoustic--it asserts itself in a mix like nothing else. The Epiphone Texan reissues aren't bad, either.

Middleman
audio school

Post by Middleman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:39 pm

Alvarez Guitars, inexpensive but high quality sound. Get an adjustable bridge model.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:38 pm

If you want cheap, try a Seagull, Art & Lutherie, or one of the million other brands by Godin.

BTW- they are great all around guitars, both fingerpicking and strumming.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:20 pm

inverseroom wrote:It ain't cheap, but I am a rock-solid Gibson J-45 man.
ditto!

Jon

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:25 pm

You need to go to Electrical Audio in Chicago and check out the "Guitar From Hell." Having just recently experienced the beauty of the "Guitar From Hell," I'm pretty much convinced that this is the ultimate strumming guitar.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:15 am

I really dig 70s guild dreadnaughts, and they're not that pricey. You can find one for around $600. Great balanced tone; it has a nice sweet midrange. I find that newer guitars like Taylors are just too bright and sound scooped, while some of the low end Martins just have no high end at all (as if you turned up low eq gain know on a Behringer board).
"I'd rather her sound artificial [auto tune] than sound completely drunk." As said by the producer during a long pitch shifting session.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:17 am

cgarges wrote:You need to go to Electrical Audio in Chicago and check out the "Guitar From Hell." Having just recently experienced the beauty of the "Guitar From Hell," I'm pretty much convinced that this is the ultimate strumming guitar.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
???

Elaboration? :wink:

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:46 am

xSALx wrote:I really dig 70s guild dreadnaughts, and they're not that pricey. You can find one for around $600. Great balanced tone; it has a nice sweet midrange. I find that newer guitars like Taylors are just too bright and sound scooped, while some of the low end Martins just have no high end at all (as if you turned up low eq gain know on a Behringer board).
:!:

+1 to the max.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:23 am

KennyLusk wrote:I'll 2nd the DX1 or even the DXC1. Excellent bang for the buck.
I really dig my DX1 for so many recordings (and for the price) but sometimes it is a bit too 'full' and 'boomy' for my taste. Only an issue for me occasionally.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:32 pm

Has anyone had much extensive play time with the new Ibanez acoustics? They feel pretty cool in the shop, but I can't really tell...

Really, it's a good time for budget acoustic guitars.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:46 pm

I've got a Martin 000-16GT that strums great. It's an "Auditorium" guitar so, it's a little smaller and less boomy than others I've tried.