Reamps

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sparky
pushin' record

Reamps

Post by sparky » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:39 pm

Can you use a DI backwards as a reamp? I don't have a DI, but there's no cheap reamps on ebay and there's always cheap DI's.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:16 pm

I use one all the time. Just make sure its a simple passive one. It helps if you try different output levels from your daw to find the right sound.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:38 pm

in the interests of balance:
http://reamp.com/faq/#4739

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:03 pm

FWIW I use 2 of my favorite passive DI's in reverse all the time for re-amping with excellent results. Works for me.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:05 am

i've been using the little labs red eye, works great. reamping is totally saving my life these days.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:05 pm

A transformer based DI can very often be used as a "re-amp" kind of thing... an active DI can not be used in that manner.

jjbohn
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jjbohn » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:33 pm

I've heard it's better to mod it, make your own from scratch or buy a dedicated one. I haven't done a whole lot of reamping lately and it seems like all the places I've gone have one already there.

Man I gotta get a home setup soon.

needlz
audio school

Post by needlz » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:41 am

Build your own for < $100... the a** at rea** is trying to patent something that has been around. This is a very simply DIY build.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/patent1.htm

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:39 am

The Radial X-Amp is an inexpensive box (US$179 street) that works great, and is dedicated to the job.

It can feed 2 amps at once.
It has direct and an isolated outputs.
It has an output level control.
Ground lift.

etc...

Plus it is built like a tank. A no-brainer in my mind.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:57 am

I have 2 Countryman DIs but went ahead and bought the Radial X Amp box and was glad I did. It worked great for my project. There's been a lot of great discussion about reamping on this board and like a lot of other things I've read about here it's helped change things for the better for me.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:51 pm

I love the reamp. In all fairness:

http://reamp.com/users/

I am on their website.

BUT:

The reamp works elegantly. You can run anything into anything, but you can do it properly by using a dedicated box of some sort. I happen to choose the reAmp.
Using something dedicated to the job makes the amp act just like the performance is happening for the first time, right from the guitar, rather tthan just smashing signal into an amp. The sounds I got just by running a DI backwards always sounded okay, but with the real deal I can really get great, serious guitar tone from a single performance, and run multiple passes for multi amp/ multi mic scenarios that have to be super tight.... well they are the SAME performance coming out of 7 different amps for different colors and tonal needs, so they are as tight as can be!

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:01 pm

shit joel that's exactly what I want to happen. especially as we have limited performance time but ample mixing time. when I plug stuff from the mixer sends into the amps it sounds...interesting, but it doesn't sound like someone is playing the guitar. either way $20 to try with a passive di in reverse isn't that big a tax. guess i should start saving for the real deal.

plus6
audio school graduate

Reamp

Post by plus6 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:27 am

needlz wrote:Build your own for < $100... the a** at rea** is trying to patent something that has been around. This is a very simply DIY build.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/patent1.htm
FYI- The first Reamp I built and sold was in 1993. I applied for a patent at the same time. The patent was granted in 1999 after five years of searching and considerations by the U.S. patent office. The process cost me over $10.000. The Jensen diagram you posted is dated 1995, which is two after I applied for the patent. Both Radial and Millennia Media think enough about the patent to pay me a small royalty for its use.

So neediz, do you still think I?m an a** or do you owe me an apology? I work at The Plant in Sausalito so you can come over and say it to my face.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:39 am

needlz's comments were certainly out of line...

but, c'mon... the whole "say it to my face" thing on messageboards is so seriously lame. your post would've been plenty effective without the last line.

if you're somewhat of a public figure (I've heard your name hundreds of times and used your products thousands of times) you better just get used to the fact that not everybody will ALWAYS have nice things to say about you. you're miles ahead if you just ignore the haters rather than inviting them down to your work for a fight.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:48 am

Since someone opened this back up, I want to clarify my position.

I use a passive DI box that has a pad which gives me the selection of input levels. This coupled with the fact that I know how to adjust the output level of my DAW from 0 to whatever I don't have the issue of distortion that is pointed out in the FAQ on the reamp site:

Question - Some people say I can use a passive direct box in reverse for reamping. Is this true?
Answer - ? No. This would not work because of the large level differences between a microphone level signal and a line level signal. On the direct box the instrument input is designed for instrument level signals (-20dbm) and the microphone out is designed to give a microphone level signal (-60dbm typical) using a direct box in reverse would put a +4dbm signal into a ?60dbm output and would cause extreme signal distortion before you even plugged into the amp.

This may not be as good a solution but it works great for me. If you note some of the Reamp knockoff schematics out there only have a transformer for isolation not impedance matching. The matching is done in these circuits via resistors or a coil. Which BTW is how many many pasive DI boxes are made. Compair some of them there isnt much difference.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity