Value of an autographed guitar?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:54 pm

RefD wrote:i seriously doubt hammertime has been selling millions of records since 1977, tho.
No shit. I'm sure he has a nice selection of big pants though.
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:56 pm

MT wrote:
RefD wrote:i seriously doubt hammertime has been selling millions of records since 1977, tho.
No shit. I'm sure he has a nice selection of big pants though.
:lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

maxadocious
alignin' 24-trk

omg

Post by maxadocious » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:58 pm

Man, I don't know who this dude Neil Finn is... But this thread is like hilarious! I liked the part with the picture of the liver and the thing about drinking. it's funny because Hammer time really doesn't know who the dude is, and Ref is like a huge fan! It's like when I went to see Star Trek: First Contact on opening night to make fun of it and all these serious trekkies were there...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:07 pm

*puts away rubber Spock ears and turns off "Try Whistling This"* :oops:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:42 pm

i've been getting a good chuckle from this thread.

I especially love how just because a hammertime hasn't heard of someone that automatically makes them a "second-rate nobody" in his mind. Beautiful! :lol:

At any rate, yeah the autograph probably won't mean much. Someone on Craigslist NYC was trying to sell a 70's tele autographed by Bo Diddley for months. I mean MONTHS.... listing it every single day. They finally stopped listing it so either it sold or they put it on ebay. They were asking, if I recall correctly, a fair price for the Tele... not trying to inflate it based on the signature... but they still had a hard time selling it. Harder, I bet, than if they had just rubbed the sig off.

I know that I personally wouldn't give a damn if jimi fucking hendrix had signed a guitar, if he didn't play it personally then what does it matter? How many people go around signing guitars they actually play? Would Neil Finn play a Hondo? Maybe...

But the fact of the matter is, he probably didn't. Someone walked up to him at a show and said "will you sign this" or whatever... and that doesn't really make it a part of his history at all; not any more than the hotel bill he signed the next morning at check-out.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:37 pm

brad347 wrote: How many people go around signing guitars they actually play? Would Neil Finn play a Hondo? Maybe...

But the fact of the matter is, he probably didn't. Someone walked up to him at a show and said "will you sign this" or whatever...
Yeah, most of the time when I see a signed guitar it's a cheap Epi Les Paul knockoff or an Ibanez or something else inexpensive, that the Hard Rock Cafe handed to them at some charity event or something. There's scads of 'em on eBay. Just searching "signed guitar" over there yields:

Pink Floyd
AC/DC
Aerosmith (Epi Les Paul knockoff)
Springsteen
Chuck Berry
Eric Clapton (it's a Kramer! Pretty much guaranteed he never played it)
Mark Knopfler
The Strokes
The Who

...and that's just page one. I'm guessing signed guitars is a little cottage industry all its own.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:08 pm

hammertime wrote:So if you don't mind playing a guitar that's autographed by a second-rate nobody, I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm not sure of the phrase, how you say? Fuck you douchebag? Something like that. My english is not so good.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

kingnimrod
pushin' record

Post by kingnimrod » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:18 pm

Right now I'm leaning toward rubbing the signature off and keeping the guitar. Aside from the pots sticking a little bit, it feels and plays very nice. Certainly blows away the epiphone Dot, Ibanez Artcore, etc.... My wife has wanted a hollowbody guitar since she saw Sondre Lerche live with his Gretsch, and this guitar was a hell of a lot less than a Gretsch, that's for sure!

So, what's the best way to rub this signature out of the finish without f*&*ing it up?

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:12 pm

depends on what the finish is, and it depends on what the autograph is.

If the finish is poly, then I'd try nail polish remover. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use nail polish remover unless you are sure it is poly or some other non-lacquer finish first. Nail polish remover will EAT lacquer but will leave poly alone. You can test on an inconspicuous area first.

If it's lacquer, I'd try good old soap and water first. In fact, i'd try that first in any case.

Sometimes on lacquer, with a very fine (#0000) steel wool, you can rub out stuff like this. It may dull the lacquer slightly, but then get some Meguiars or other fine automotove polishing compound (not wax, but polishing compound... they'll be next to each other in the auto parts store probably) and it will bring the shine right back. If you use the steel wool carefully in a circular motion you might not need it at all.

I was restoring an old slingerland drum with a gold Duco (lacquer) finish recently. Someone had decided to touch up the gold part of the finish with a non-matching gold paint pen at some point. And I mean they really globbed the stuff on... there was one part where it was a tiny little peck in the finish and they covered an area the size of a nickel or more with the gold paint pen! Terrible! At any rate, I rubbed it out with fine steel wool, and you would never know that it had been touched up at all. I was very careful with steel wool and you literally cannot tell that anything was ever done to it. Hopefully yours won't require such drastic action. Good luck.

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:02 am

And, afterwards, put on some BIG satin pants and move left... then... move right.
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:12 am

A buddy of mine brought his sunburst Les Paul Custom to see Les Paul in downtown Manhatten a year ago or so and had him sign it with a Sharpie... a *huge* autograph that you can see a mile away.

He loves it... I thought it was a nice way to ruin a perfectly nice-looking guitar.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:44 am

kingnimrod wrote:Right now I'm leaning toward rubbing the signature off and keeping the guitar.
I'm glad to hear that. It's actually a pretty cool looking axe. And though Neil Finn is ace, it's fairly obvious that 1) the autograph didn't mean much to him, and 2) it didn't mean much to the guy who asked for it, either. I mean, Neil Finn wouldn't play a Neil-Finn-autographed guitar, anyway.

So let the guitar be the guitar. My pants would have wanted it that way.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:13 am

trousers.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:44 am

Doublehelix wrote:A buddy of mine brought his sunburst Les Paul Custom to see Les Paul in downtown Manhatten a year ago or so and had him sign it with a Sharpie... a *huge* autograph that you can see a mile away.

He loves it... I thought it was a nice way to ruin a perfectly nice-looking guitar.
That is crazy imho. I had a roomate who wanted Les Paul to autograph his Les Paul Custom. I finally talked him out of it, and he ended up having Les sign the inside of the control panel cover with a silver sharpie. He still has his autograph, and the guitar is relatively unmolested. The control panel cover was alot easier to lug around as well!

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:11 pm

autographs are for 8X10 glossies and maybe album covers (certain valuable examples excepted).

Not guitars.

This is just my opinion :D