Lomo 19a19

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

more dust
audio school

Lomo 19a19

Post by more dust » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:38 pm

Hi all, just decided to register after months, nay, years, of lurking...keep it up chaps...

aaanyway.....

as per the thread title, the Lomo 19a19, i've trawled the boards and found a few threads here and there, and also researched a little wider, but i'm still trying to decide if i should invest in one. I ask because i have the chance to get a very good deal on one (maybe a pair) of 19a19's and would like to know if anyone owns one, how are you using them? i hear they are excellent on female vocals? how are they on male vocals? and acoustic guitar? maybe on a piano too.

any commments would be most appreciated =)

cheers

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:52 pm

Paging Chris Garges and Mike Bridavsky....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:59 am

Actually, of all the weird ones out there, the 19 is the one I haven't used, but it's probably the most common. They're supposed to be pretty cool. I think Joel Hamilton has one as do a few other people on the board (I don't think Michael does). I've seen one in use as a drum overhead at Mitch Easter's studio and another friend of mine uses one for male lead vocals semi-regularly.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:22 am

I don't own one. I used one a long time ago, and it sounded stellar on a gtr amp, but I didn't get to fuss with it too much. But if I could get a great deal on one or a pair, I would jump at it. So, if you think you could get more/might pass on it/coudl hook me up, send me a PM. I'd appreciate it very much.

best,
mike

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:32 pm

jmpizzoferrato
gettin' sounds

19a19

Post by jmpizzoferrato » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:57 pm

i just used a pair for the first time this past weekend. i used them for overheads through API 3124s straight to GP9. they completely blew me away. very smooth and silky but full bodied. the only bummer was that the ride side started buzzing and not passing audio half way through day one. total bummer. but damn.. if i had the cabbage, i'd buy a pair in a heartbeat! yeah.. my new favorite mic!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:41 pm

Russian Recording wrote:here you go!
Quite interesting that Electrical compares it to the AT Pro 37R.
8)

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:09 am

drumsound wrote:
Russian Recording wrote:here you go!
Quite interesting that Electrical compares it to the AT Pro 37R.
8)
Yeah, I think mainly just cause it's bright and cuts through a mix. I don't think they are very similar, to be honest!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:30 pm

cgarges wrote:Actually, of all the weird ones out there, the 19 is the one I haven't used, but it's probably the most common. They're supposed to be pretty cool. I think Joel Hamilton has one as do a few other people on the board (I don't think Michael does). I've seen one in use as a drum overhead at Mitch Easter's studio and another friend of mine uses one for male lead vocals semi-regularly.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, I have one. I love the 19A19. I use it on acoustic bass, acoustic guitar, ... rarely on vocals... I used mine as a "front kick" (like 4 feet out from the kick drum) a bunch. Like a kick heavy room mic. I love that microphone.
I have used it for piano and for /hammond/leslie. Love it.