Unproduce the producer...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bedbug
buyin' a studio

Re: Unproduce the producer...

Post by bedbug » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:50 pm

You could say they're pulling a George Lucas on "Let it Be."

spokes
ass engineer

Post by spokes » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:50 pm

As a recordist I think it's awesome to hear different mixes and versions of songs and albums. I don't think the beatles anthology is all that good taken on it's own, but in comparison with the album tracks it's pretty informative and interesting. It's cool to hear what different producers can do with the same songs. Just think of this new "let it be" in terms of the dub or folk tradition instead of the rock or pop tradition. recorded versions of songs aren't necessarily "the song" - they don't have to be static. as far as I'm concerned musician's should remix, unmix, and mangle old songs to their heart's content.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:11 pm

DUC wrote:Let It Be's "Long and Winding Road" has some cheesy strings and all, but I like it that wayt 'cos I'm an R&B fan.
I'm an R&B fan, too, which is part of the reason I can't stand that song. What two year-old did they get to play drums on that? Transcribe that drum part note for note sometime. Was Ringo lost? Tuning his drums? Giving a lesson to Woody Harrelson? I didn't know they ever got Ed Blackwell to play on one of their tunes.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

PS-I'm much more offended by what a friend told me recently: Paul McCartney wants to change the publishing name to "McCartney/Lennon." Even Yoko's like, "whatever..." Anyone else heard this?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:33 am

cgarges, McCartney changed the credits on the Beatles tunes he performed on his live records to read "McCartney/Lennon." Kind of silly, really. You'd think he'd be more confident than that. Yoko apparently had a big problem with it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:40 am

dwlb wrote:cgarges, McCartney changed the credits on the Beatles tunes he performed on his live records to read "McCartney/Lennon." Kind of silly, really. You'd think he'd be more confident than that. Yoko apparently had a big problem with it.
Yeah, really silly. I had heard this from a friend so I'm interested in some substantiation. Thanks!

Chris

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:45 am

i've had a copy of the glyn johns mixes for years, and they're way better!
although it's still not the best work they did, it's fun to listen to.
glyn johns was an amazing engineer.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:59 am

dwlb wrote:McCartney changed the credits on the Beatles tunes he performed on his live records to read "McCartney/Lennon." Kind of silly,
Completely rediculous. As if being in the world's most critically and commercially successful band wasn't enough. And then what, does that mean the George and Ringo's contributions to the songs didn't mean sh1t because their names weren't on (most) of the songwriting credits?

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:55 am

McCartney said that his reasoning for turning around the credit had been "Yesterday", which he's seen in fakebooks where there's limited/minimal composer credits as credited solely to "Lennon". He's said he first broached the topic of turning around "Yesterday"s credit with Yoko while they were compiling the Anthology discs, as the original agreement over using "Lennon/McCartney" was very informal but went uncontested through the life of the band. But making the move 30-some years after the group broke up has been looked at very unpopularly as a revisionist tactic, and McCartney's received so much flack over it he's dropped the idea and says he's not going to try again.