What is the most you've made on a project?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:02 am

Two projects topping $11K, one of which had a producer being paid the same rate as I. A dozen or so over $2K. 2 dozen or so over $1K. Three hundred+ under $500. Cheapest finished full length CD project in last 7 years, about $620. Grand total of one record label footing entire bill for a project in 13 years - about $2400.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:47 am

ive been working with one ofmy cclients for a while, i charge 15an hour, and ithink weve done about 500 bucks worth of wokr. somethingaround that

brownshoes77
alignin' 24-trk

Post by brownshoes77 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:28 pm

950 for 4 songs and a cut-down-produced "radio mix" of one of the songs. most big projects end up around 800 for me, smaller ones about 300. i usually charge 25/hr tracking and 50/song mixing/'mastering'. most of the time i end up with a good share of beer/wine *great reason to keep a fridge in the control room, best idea i've ever had* and the occasion hit-offa j.

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:56 pm

maybe i'm not here enough.
someone put me in the loop-
what is the $35 reference i see scattered around.
pm me if you want. i'm going nuts trying to figure it out.
i utfse, but i can't find the original post that may have started it.
thanks,
drew

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:51 pm

$1000 per song. Thats our average. We just finished a project for $750 per song >> because it was just to engineer in another studio. ( and ran 6 days 8) ) I just mic/tracked and ran the board...
Last edited by cjogo on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: What is the most you've made on a project?

Post by scott anthony » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:53 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Here's a provocative question.

Politically incorrect?

Do tell.
and you?

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: What is the most you've made on a project?

Post by scott anthony » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:20 pm

scott anthony wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:Here's a provocative question.

Politically incorrect?

Do tell.
and you?
bump

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:33 am

mingus2112 wrote:One project. . .a year and a half worth of work. . . .about $10,000. Most of the cost was dur to poor organization and nitpicking though. I did a bunch of weekends where I billed myself out at $350/day (x2 days) plus lunch. It felt like we were doing those every month! Sometimes twice a month. Tie that in to about the same time/money in mixing, etc. . .it worked out to $10k+ in the end. I'm SUPER glad it didn't end up being a flat rate thing. It was so much work. I wasn't even happy with the end result. . .it sounds soooo amatuer with reverbs, SUPER LOUD spoken word, etc. . .but that's exactly what the client wanted!

One artist that I know spent $35,000+ to make her mediocre christian pop cd. One day the mystery will be revealed to me where that money was spent because the CD sounds like she's singing to karioke tracks! REALLY poor. . .
I worked on that 10,000 project too. it was interesting to say the least. we kept scrapping stuff and then reviving it...there was a clear vision of what the client wanted, but then she would change her mind once she heard it!

and that Christian CD is good for a laugh...wow...she got TAKEN. i wonder if it was by any of you guys reading this.........?
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

chsept
audio school graduate

Post by chsept » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:22 pm

A quarter mil. It took almost five years and it was a restoration project, not a music project. Biggest album project was around 35k, but a lot of that went to the arranger and the hired players. Best album I've ever worked on, IMHO (recordng, mix, mastering and MUSIC) cost less than two grand for record/mix/master at 65 hr. It could have been the usual disorganized mess, 'cause everyone in the group had a strong personality, but the leader of the group (bass player) coached high school football as a sideline and he kept everyone moving forward every minute they were in the studio. It was great! They had been touring the material and they had it *down*. I'm glad that happened once.
September Audio
Creative Recording, Editing, Mixing & Restoration

TELE 503.295.1277
www.septaudio.com/music.html

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:58 pm

drewbass wrote:maybe i'm not here enough.
thanks,
drew
did you ever get an answer to this? i will gladly tell you, for $7 and a pair of leather pants.

fine, fine, i will waive my fee THIS ONCE.

one jeffrey robinson, starter of this thread and now known to the board as either 'amenhotep' or 'hieroglyphics guy' used to advertise a 'service' he offered where bands could send their 'demo tapes' to him for a 'professional evaluation'. his fee for this, naturally, was $35. several of us on the board found this practice, shall we say, somewhat questionable, and the proverbial uproar did indeed ensue. and, as they say, a legend was born.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:23 pm

chsept wrote:A quarter mil. It took almost five years and it was a restoration project, not a music project.
I think I may have heard of this project...

Good to see you back around, Mr. H. Hope all is groovy.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:08 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
drewbass wrote:maybe i'm not here enough.
thanks,
drew
did you ever get an answer to this? i will gladly tell you, for $7 and a pair of leather pants.

fine, fine, i will waive my fee THIS ONCE.

one jeffrey robinson, starter of this thread and now known to the board as either 'amenhotep' or 'hieroglyphics guy' used to advertise a 'service' he offered where bands could send their 'demo tapes' to him for a 'professional evaluation'. his fee for this, naturally, was $35. several of us on the board found this practice, shall we say, somewhat questionable, and the proverbial uproar did indeed ensue. and, as they say, a legend was born.

But i've got Leathur pants as well for sale, don't mind the paypal fees i'll bill you for, you'll be so happy with metallica's guitar tone.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:51 pm

to answer the question:

free pizza.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 am

you know, the record i'm mixing right now, my payment thus far has been a pair of pants. they're not even leathur.

*gathers food stamps*

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:05 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:you know, the record i'm mixing right now, my payment thus far has been a pair of pants. they're not even leathur.

*gathers food stamps*
no wonder your guitars don't shred.

Maybe some new mics or sunglasses will help?