I've had it with these moody dropped D bands...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

saultime
pushin' record

I've had it with these moody dropped D bands...

Post by saultime » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:25 pm

I've had it with all these moody bands with their 600 dollar haircuts, black nailpolish and perfectly dyed facial hair who think they're so hardcore just because they tune down and play their pussy songs through a Mesa Boogie penta rectifier or whatever.

Didja see that mtv VMA's last night? Hey, god bless you if you didn't, 'cause you're better for it. But that show was full of this crap. Among other types of crap, but whatever.

That retarded Rockstar Supernova show? Yeah. That too. As much as I hate what's happened to Metalica, I'll bet Lars n' the boys get a kick out of the sissy shit Jason Newstead is doing now!

I guess this is what the mainstream is calling "rock" now. I get the feeling that all these guys grew up liking hair metal. I'm proud to say I didn't. Maybe that made me a dork in grade school, but after watching an hour of VH1 Classic, I can honestly say nothing is more un-rock than obsessing about matching your guitar to your outfit. And it doesn't matter if it's hot-pink or black. It's still lame image-posturing horseshit, you poseur you.

Enough you poor man's Gavin Rossdale. You've got piercings, tatoos and assless leather pants; you play ESP guitars with high-output pickups through 300 watt solid-state amps with the mids scooped and the bass cranked. We get it, fuckers. I'm sure you can swap hair-cair tips with the skanky twats back stage after you sign their boobs and before they give you Chlamydia.

Could we all move on, please?
When is the Douchebag Rapture?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:06 pm

Yeah, but just wait fifteen years and we'll all be waxing nostalgic about our current crop of crap.

farside
alignin' 24-trk

Re: I've had it with these moody dropped D bands...

Post by farside » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:29 pm

saultime wrote:I'll bet Lars n' the boys get a kick out of the sissy shit Jason Newstead is doing now!
I know you're not talking about Voivod.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:06 pm

Tatertot wrote:Yeah, but just wait fifteen years and we'll all be waxing nostalgic about our current crop of crap.
Speak for yourself- I won't. :D

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:09 pm

Saultime- I'll have whatever you're drinking. That's one of the funnier (true) rants I've seen recently. :D

So, the real question is, who is today's Warrant?

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:33 pm

I trust that you are out there, sweating your ass off in some killer rock band of your own? Perhaps fighting to save the good name of rock at some venue right now? :wink:

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:39 am

kayagum wrote: So, the real question is, who is today's Warrant?
I'm pretty sure I saw them playing on the sidewalk outside of the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood last night (visiting CA this weekend)

Or, maybe it was just Warrant themselves out there rocking

farside
alignin' 24-trk

Post by farside » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:19 am

Avenged Sevenfold

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:23 pm

farside wrote:
Avenged Sevenfold
I'll go with My Chemical Romance. Travis Bickle needs to take this band out.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:28 pm

farside wrote:
Avenged Sevenfold
nother vote for Avenged Sevenfold, hope I live to see them become the next Warrant!
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

bocmaxima
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bocmaxima » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:16 pm

I don't really get rants like this. I mean, generic popular music sucks ass, but to generalize "moody drop D" bands as all being fashionista is kind of rediculous. Sure you may have to dig a little, theres good stuff in Hardcore and Emo genres. It isn't neccessarily the stuff you see on the VMAs. By the way I don't know how someone who got done watching the VMAs can consciously go on a rant about the VMAs. :roll: My advice would be to turn off the television and look around for the bands those bands are trying to emulate.

Anyway, thats not my point. The point is that theres always been a lot of popular crap, but just because they are popular doesnt make them all horrible. Look at Led Zeppelin, they were hugely popular, dressed like complete asses and made some of the most pretentious music that ever was. I haven't seen anyone bash them in this thread yet. :lol:

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is a really well done pop record.
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.
-M. C. Escher
Shameless Self-Promotion
Shameless Self-Promotion: Redux

saultime
pushin' record

Post by saultime » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:38 pm

The point of a rant is to rant. There's nothing to "get."

And me ranting about the VMA's after watching the show isn't all that different from you ranting about my post after having read it. There are lots of threads on this board to click on.

I'm just tired of the ubiquitessness of black nail polish and eyeliner, and am lamenting the return of what amounts to glam-metal. It's crap, and it's everywhere, and it's about as far away from rock as I can imagine. Except for maybe sugar punk. A.F.I can eat a bag of dick.

Oh, and the VMA's weren't all crap--I liked the thing with Jack White's band and Billy Gibbons playing "Cheap Sunglasses."

Oh, and Lou Reed. But I doubt if many of the kids had heard of him before.
When is the Douchebag Rapture?

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:22 pm

A bit of a hijack - but for me, having just come in from a drive where six button pushes between radio stations yielded nothing remotely satisfying, I think everything's kind of tired. I was listening to Pat Metheny's First Circle this morning after catching a live performance on Youtube, and it inspired me to mess around with chord voicings for quite a while on the piano. We've had fifty-plus years of F-G-C, 40 years of Em-D-C, not to mention 100 years of Am-Em-Dm-G-C. There's just so much more out there! I say this publicly at the risk of sounding pretentious or failing spectacularly, but it's my goal to stay in the Neil Young/Led Zep/Beatles/Radiohead/Shins/BoardsofCanada area of pop, but just expand the damn possibilities rhythically, melodically and harmonically...without turning into Muzac. If you're a Pixies fan, like I am, just think for a second how fresh they made their thing sound, by doing something new with song structure, lyrics, the occasional 'wrong' chord, and just playing their asses off. And avoiding constant bars of 4....and keeping it fun...
I didn't understand many teenagers when I was one, but death metal, speed metal, modern 'rock' with intentionally adolescent-sounding vocalists, 'smooth' jazz, fucking Barenaked ladies....being exposed to other people's shitty music when one knows a little bit about the subject is like being a photographer in a world of cell-phone cameras. Now that sounded pretentious! :?

bitsyras
pluggin' in mics

Post by bitsyras » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:54 pm

If you're a Pixies fan, like I am, just think for a second how fresh they made their thing sound, by doing something new with song structure, lyrics, the occasional 'wrong' chord, and just playing their asses off. And avoiding constant bars of 4....and keeping it fun...
I saw Deerhoof live for the first time yesterday after listening to their cd's for a while and was reminded of the way I felt the first time I heard the Pixies - here's something loose (yet tight), bizarre, and catchy and FUN and totally unlike anything else I'm hearing today. Kinda gave me hope seeing that there's still bands out there that don't give a shit about conforming to one of the many pre-fab cookie-cutter genres so prevalent these days.

-m

mildred-pitt
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mildred-pitt » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:36 pm

So, the real question is, who is today's Warrant?
Ha! This made me laugh! :D