Whats a good 8track for recording digital.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Whats a good 8track for recording digital.

Post by jckinnick » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:14 pm

Anybody know of a good sounding one.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:16 am

ROLAND VS 880---Few Hundred used !! Great 8 track machine........
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

TheGreatOne
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by TheGreatOne » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:06 am

I'll second that with the addition that what I use are vsr880's (no mixer, recorder only). They're as cheap as can be (about $200 on ebay with no effects card) and serve the purpose quite well.
When in doubt, consult the manual

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:52 am

I hated my roland. I hated having to scroll thru a million menus on a teeny weeny lcd screen just to EQ or pan. Maybe its still better than the others? I dont know. Seems like I could only get two songs ona zip disc too.
me make purty musick!

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:31 pm

What about the Tascams

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:43 pm

I had a vs840 and I hated it.

My biggest complaint is that once you get your chops up and want to expand your setup, those things have shit for resale value.
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:53 pm

Embryo Electro wrote:I had a vs840 and I hated it.
Had to use one a couple of times. Yuck, no thanks. Unless that was the only thing I had at my avail (hence the first sentence) I'd look elsewhere...
The interface is unnessesarily obtuse and the inputs sound colored and nasty - not in a good way, either.

But don't take that as anything more than my personal, limited experience. I'm sure someone out there has made great recordings on them. At least I hope so!
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:43 pm

i have one of these (link below) and i'd sell it, pm me if interested. i also have a cd burner that goes with it. below are some links of stuff i have recorded with it, but keep in mind i have crap mics/a behringer pre. But i think the machine sounds good (until i mess it up) i am not an engineer i just do free stuff for my friends because we are all poor) and they have no ambitions of releasing it professionally.

http://www.tascam.com/Products/788/788.html

mp3s =all songs
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... id=7329589

mp3 = Ulevissys
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=21412180

that 2nd bands song "what separates us", i just recorded with the tascam Fw-1084 if you were interested in it at all. they are a decent price on Ams.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Re: Whats a good 8track for recording digital.

Post by creature.of.habit » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:27 am

jckinnick wrote:Anybody know of a good sounding one.
skip the 8 track.

get a Korg D1200 (MKII or not). Korg makes the best SIABS (studios in a box) period. it might not the be the better sounding one (i'm sure yamaha 4416 sounds decent, but you need a dvd collection to work around the learning curve, etc, etc), but the Korgs are very well made, decent sounding (add a DMP3 or something like that and you won't think about it ever again), and compared to most SIABS, they're by far the easiest to use. also decent fx if you tweak them.

on the same type (digital siab), tascam stuff are toys in comparison, so is boss or zoom, etc. if you reach for something like the Korg D1600, you even have a touch screen. the great thing about them is that, if you don't want all the options, all the editing, etc, all of that stays out of the way and you simply press record and mix the stuff without worrying about a million menus, etc.

these are going pretty cheap after they lauched the D3200. also, excelent help at the korgstudios forum.