New Gov't Mule album

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

New Gov't Mule album

Post by LVC_Jeff » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:40 pm

Any love here for Gov't Mule? First album I've ever heard of theres. Wow is it good stuff. Pretty good production and everything too, I think.

Opinions?
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:22 pm

These guys are the quintessential "meathead" rock band -- just a bunch of cliche guitar riffs, 4/4 meathead drum beats, and a crappy singer singing about nothing original. The only thing these clowns have going for them is that every other pop band is so bad that they can't even play their instruments live, so a rehashed fourth rate Bad Company ripoff sounds good in comparison. Personally, I dislike Gov't Mule, but I don't mean to offend anyone.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:39 pm

Just kidding. They're okay. I'm not that crazy about there music, but they all play decently enough, although the songs don't really push the envelope in any way, and they sort of bring back stuff like Bad Company or the Allmans that I'd rather not hear again in any form.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:29 pm

hammertime wrote:and they sort of bring back stuff like Bad Company or the Allmans that I'd rather not hear again in any form.

Not a surprise given the singer/songwriter/guitarist has been playing in the Allman Brothers Band since the early 90's. And the original bassist played with the Allmans, too. I'm not a fan either, but the track I heard recently from their latest album is a lot better than anything else of theirs I've ever heard.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:10 am

I hope you're not talking about that awful Neil Young cover I just heard on the radio the other day -- something about the war in Iraq and how bad Bush is. What a bunch of crap. Why can't these fat, belching, middle-aged old farts play some good old fashioned drunken idiot redneck, wife-beating rock and roll, instead of this crap? These guys are about a millionth as good as old Z.Z. Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, or even AC/DC for that matter (I wouldn't even put Gov't mule in the same league -- but that's just my opinion).
Johnny B wrote:
hammertime wrote:and they sort of bring back stuff like Bad Company or the Allmans that I'd rather not hear again in any form.

Not a surprise given the singer/songwriter/guitarist has been playing in the Allman Brothers Band since the early 90's. And the original bassist played with the Allmans, too. I'm not a fan either, but the track I heard recently from their latest album is a lot better than anything else of theirs I've ever heard.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:25 am

hammertime wrote:I hope you're not talking about that awful Neil Young cover I just heard on the radio the other day -- something about the war in Iraq and how bad Bush is. What a bunch of crap. Why can't these fat, belching, middle-aged old farts play some good old fashioned drunken idiot redneck, wife-beating rock and roll, instead of this crap? These guys are about a millionth as good as old Z.Z. Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, or even AC/DC for that matter (I wouldn't even put Gov't mule in the same league -- but that's just my opinion).
Nah, actually I was wrong, it wasn't off the new album, it was a live track from late spring that was on a sampler disc. I don't listen to the radio if I can avoid it. Comment still stands, though, it was better than anything else I've heard from them. Still not buying the album, though. Southern rock does nothing for me.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:50 am

I still think the only reason this band gets any attention at all is the rest of the music scene is so bad in a pretty enormous way. In a good year, this band would have disappeared into oblivion in about five seconds.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:50 pm

they're definitely much better live. i miss seeing them when their original bass player, allen woody, was alive. they were monsters back in those days!

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Re: New Gov't Mule album

Post by Harry » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:20 am

LVC_Jeff wrote:Any love here for Gov't Mule? First album I've ever heard of theres. Wow is it good stuff. Pretty good production and everything too, I think.

Opinions?

Mule ROCKS!!!!
I've seen em several times and they always blow my hair back..
I don't have their new one but I have a bunch of their older ones.
The 1st 2 are my favorites.....you should check those out for sure.

Harry
Last edited by Harry on Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:02 pm

"meathead rock" maybe, although they are a lot more to the left than that would imply; it is down and dirty blues with a jam-band, jazzy/improv feel.

Personally, I love them, feeling that Haynes is one of the best guitarists in that style I've ever heard or seen (DVD), and I think his barroom vocals kill.

He's also a pretty good writer, within that genre.

As well, the rhythm section is always hot, and the new keyboard player, too.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:39 pm

despite what the guy who only bashes things says, Gov't Mule is an excellent band. Warren Haynes is an amazing artist. Their live shows are really, really good. They're an extremely tight band.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:51 pm

Wow, talk about someone with a vendetta against Jambands! Let it go man, let it go!
Mule rocks! "F" all that pretension in the neck. I don't really understand the idea behind bashing music that is based around playing tons and tons of music. But what ever works for some ya know.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

Cowbell Anarchy
audio school graduate

Post by Cowbell Anarchy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:52 pm

Great record!