Rode NT4...who digs them?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dustinsleeping
audio school

Rode NT4...who digs them?

Post by dustinsleeping » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:02 pm

I just bought one of these and I am using it as a drum overhead and I totally dig it.

Anyone else here use them and if so what are your thoughts.

thanks

d

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:39 pm

Interesting you should mention it...

A friend brought one on a trip to Uganda recently and did a lot of field recording with that and an Edirol 4-track hard disk recorder. The stuff sounded great! Lots of choirs outdoors, funky rooms with little kids playing instruments. I haven't heard it outside of headphones, but it was sweet. Not to mention really easy to travel with.

Also, a couple years ago I was lucky enough to hang out at Jimbo Mathus' Delta Recording Service in Clarksdale, Miss. Fucking great place, great guy. They don't mess around down there.

He was using an NT4 as his drum overhead (with a sweet RCA 44 out in front of the kit and maybe a snare mic too.) The stuff sounded great. While I was there he did some stuff with Garry and Ced Burnside, and The Black Diamond Heavies. I believe he did his album Knockdown South there too.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:45 pm

I have a pair of NT5s (same capsules, 2 standard pencil condensers), and I've had good luck using them for stereo pair location recordings (ORTF).

I can see how convenient the NT4 would be, especially for field recordings (self powered).

People dis on Rode all the time, but really each model has its own thing.

My theory about the NT1/NT2 mics (the ones that usually get knocked for being too bright) is that they really are designed for tape/analog setups. If you have a 1/2" 8 track and an old board, I can see how that would totally work. I have one of the early NT1, and it sounds great on my Tascam 238s.

Once again, YMMV depending on application.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:57 pm

kayagum wrote:I have a pair of NT5s (same capsules, 2 standard pencil condensers), and I've had good luck using them for stereo pair location recordings (ORTF).

I can see how convenient the NT4 would be, especially for field recordings (self powered).

People dis on Rode all the time, but really each model has its own thing.

My theory about the NT1/NT2 mics (the ones that usually get knocked for being too bright) is that they really are designed for tape/analog setups. If you have a 1/2" 8 track and an old board, I can see how that would totally work. I have one of the early NT1, and it sounds great on my Tascam 238s.

Once again, YMMV depending on application.
Still using NT 3 for guitars--strings..gre hyper-card mics. Hey you need another 238 ??
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:25 am

I just bought an NT4 and have used it on one project for drum OHs...

Loved it!

I'm looking forward to using it with my mini-disc for field recordings....

Nice mic.
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:06 am

kayagum wrote: People dis on Rode all the time, but really each model has its own thing.
It sucks when people dis on stuff they've never tried, I'm sure it happens more often than we think. I think Rode makes great mics. I bought the NT1A and can say I'm amazed at how good it sounds. My friend has a K2 and recorded nearly an album's worth of stuff just using that, one source at a time and again, it sounds great. It seems the bottom line with any of this is that anything can work. If you are stuck in a room with only a few 57's and 58' and are told to get a great drum sound using just that on the kit, you'd be impressed at how much you'll push to make that happen, and chances are it can and will sound good. Rambling, sorry, but yeah, Rode mics are a great value, imo. Just make music, make it sing, make it soar, touch someone with it and in the end, no one will care what mic was used.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:42 am

I have the NT-4 and it has been a fine microphone. Don't forget to move it around because it is fussy (or shall I say colorful). If you move it while wearing headphones, you'll find sweeter and darker zones based on placement...for what it's worth. :rockin:

Auslander
ass engineer

Post by Auslander » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:19 am

Must admit that I have never used the NT4, but I do love Rode mics. I've used the NT1, the NT1A, the NT1000 and the Classic. They were all superb. I'm curious to try out the NT4 now.

:D