FS/FT: Tape Machines (Ampex, Tascam)

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

takeout
steve albini likes it

FS/FT: Tape Machines (Ampex, Tascam)

Post by takeout » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:17 am

Ampex 440B 1" 8-track - Fair cosmetic shape, good working order. could use some set-up, but it does currently record and playback on all 8 tracks without issues. It's literally the size of a refrigerator, so pick-up only (Kansas City area). You do not want to pay shipping on this. I haven't really taken stock of what market price is on these yet, so if you have an offer, hit me with it.

Tascam 38 1/2" 8-track parts machine - It's a "parts machine" now thanks to UPS, but was in excellent cosmetic shape. The back plastic panel got caved in, so one of the circuit boards is toast. Plenty of meters, heads, guides, etc. to be pulled from this machine. $100 shipped. Get it out of my house before the wife kills me.

Trades considered:

- Tascam 388, in full working condition (by that I mean all 8 channels record, playback, and meters work. I can deal with a burnt-out bulb or scratchy pot here and there).
- Decent large-diaphragm condensers, small-diaphragm condensers, and/or ribbon mics.

I don't check in here very often, so: chriswagner @T gmail D0T com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: FS/FT: Tape Machines (Ampex, Tascam)

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:22 am

takeout wrote:Ampex 440B 1" 8-track - Fair cosmetic shape, good working order. could use some set-up, but it does currently record and playback on all 8 tracks without issues. It's literally the size of a refrigerator, so pick-up only (Kansas City area). You do not want to pay shipping on this. I haven't really taken stock of what market price is on these yet, so if you have an offer, hit me with it.
Oh why oh why can't this be near me..

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:51 pm

Chris is a good guy folks. Someone buy his stuff.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:25 am

Nobody?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:48 am

I wouldn't mind buying a house in Kansas City to house the 388 in.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:04 pm

are the electronics on the Ampex stacked vertically over the transport? or under the transport or both? Just dreaming that it might fit down my stairs..

I totally want that deck..

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:45 pm

inverseroom wrote:I wouldn't mind buying a house in Kansas City to house the 388 in.
professor Inverse, You're more of a Lawrence type. volvo ballet.

feufollet
audio school graduate

Post by feufollet » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:08 pm

Toolshed....If it is like most other 440-8 machines, the electronics should be stacked on top....

If they are, the rack that they are mounted on easily disconnects from the rolling cart thing that the transport is mounted in. If im not mistaken, there are just 4 or so bolts that need to come off.

When i picked up mine, i was anticipating a very difficult move, but it was really pretty easy...We packed the entire thing in the back of an SUV and unloaded it easily with three people......Now if i could just get the damned thing working well......

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:59 am

feufollet wrote:Toolshed....If it is like most other 440-8 machines, the electronics should be stacked on top....

If they are, the rack that they are mounted on easily disconnects from the rolling cart thing that the transport is mounted in. If im not mistaken, there are just 4 or so bolts that need to come off.

When i picked up mine, i was anticipating a very difficult move, but it was really pretty easy...We packed the entire thing in the back of an SUV and unloaded it easily with three people......Now if i could just get the damned thing working well......
What he said. Electronics go over the transport.

It's not that hard to move, actually. I just simply cannot negotiate the 90 degree turn at the top of my (narrow) basement stairs with it, which renders it unusable for me.

A couple of nibbles thus far.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:53 pm

you definitely don't want to ship right?

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:31 am

Toolshed of Death wrote:you definitely don't want to ship right?
There's really no way to do this. It's a monster. I'd need to build a custom crate and freight it to you; UPS/FedEx/DHL/USPS won't touch this.

It'd seriously take less time and money for one to simply borrow a van and make a road trip of it. That's what I did when I got it from Columbus, OH to Kansas City.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:32 am

I wish I could actually do that..but it's not going to be possible at all.. :cry:

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:28 am

There's a trucking / moving van company that will do a electronics 'blanket wrap', which is in this case they will pull up to the residence, roll the Ampex 440 onto the van, tie and anchor it, and wrap it in blankets. I forget now who they are but I can check my records. Definitely NOT cheap. I had a 250lb console shipped this way 3 years ago (before the gas prices totally skyrocketed) from NY to San Diego for $650. Since the 440 weighs more (like 350-400lbs) it could be in the $800-900 range, or depending on where you live. Just a thought...but it can be done.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:05 pm

Yep, a freight company can crate and ship the thing. Probably in the $700 range or so. I had two tape machines (1/4-in 2-tr MCI JH110 and 1-in 8-tr MCI JH100C plus a 16-channel board) shipped from Missouri to San Diego for about that.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:40 pm

What a great time for a road trip though, man.

There must be some way. Think of it this way. You'll make a commitment to that 440-8 big enough that you'll never let it go. In 30 years, and 25 records later, you'll look at that big beast and you'll remember the golden trip it took to haul it back to your place. There's no time like the Fall for traveling. Take a lady friend. Talk her ear off about the golden age of recording when these things were used, while the golden foliage wisps by.

Yep, Toolshed. This is your destiny.