Trip to Chicago - Where should I go? What should I see?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Trip to Chicago - Where should I go? What should I see?

Post by signorMars » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:38 pm

I'm making a trip to Chicago for 5 days starting Saturday... what are some essential Chicago stops for a TapeOpper? I've only been to Chicago once, for about 3 hours... so I don't really know the city. My wife will be in conferences most of the daytime hours, so I'll have a good bit of time to kill for record-shopping, gear-shopping, etc.... any suggestions?
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:32 pm

Lou Malnati's (Pizza) and Portilo's (lunch).

And um... uh... There are several Guitar Centers in the area...?
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:48 pm

Hot Doug's! Apparently frequented by Mr. Albini himself.
Go on the weekend for the Duck Fat Fries. no shit...

For record stores there is Dr. Wax and Reckless Records. It's been awhile since I've lived there so there are probably others.

yeah, I don't know about gear...

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:31 am

do all the touristy stuff like the shedd aquarium and walk around michigan ave and take yr lady for a drink at the top of the hancock bldg. millenium park... garfield park conservatory (as featured in that latest batman movie).

then hit some neighborhoods to see how the city actually lives... wicker park, devon (definitely go up here for dinner one night, it's a long haul but worth it), lakeview, hyde park, andersonville/boystown, etc. each neighborhood is almost like its own town in itself.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:35 am

xonlocust wrote:andersonville
There's a cool Swedish museum there that's worth the trip, and the Shedd is really fun, too. And Second City can be a cool date.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:16 am

oh, that reminds me.

Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind.

Look it up.

Roy
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:52 am

yes. second city. definitely do that too. or cheaper alternative is some random show at the improv olympic and then you can hit wrigleyville to see the land of douche.

whenever i do the touristy things here i say to myself, damn, this is really cool and not touristy like i thought it would be. it's cool to be a tourist in your own town.

except navy pier. that's stupid like the wharf in san francsico. you can skip that. that is touristy in the conventional touristy crap way.

if it were warmer you should also do the architectural boat tour, that is super cool too.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/
http://www.chowhound.com/boards/show/7

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:16 pm

I recommend the Bryn Mawr el platform trip, where you wait 40 minutes for your train because of work on the rail. Then you have to take a train the wrong way for 3 stops so you can get off and catch a train the right way.

tfred812
studio intern

Post by tfred812 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:44 pm

The Art Institute is one of the world's great museums and should not be missed. And Millenium Park is pretty great. And I love Guitar Works in Evanston (http://www.guitarworksltd.com/).

Musically, these may be outside your normal listening, but if you have big ears and can score seats, the Chicago Symphony and the Lyric Opera are not the sort of outfits you can find in every burg.

Likewise theater is worth exploring ? maybe the liveliest art in the city.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:50 pm

tfred, Evanston, represent! that's actually where I grew up.

yeah, the Guitar Works is a nice little shop come to think of it.
if you can trek out to Niles there is a place called Minstrel Music (if it still exists). That place was pretty cool too.

Roy

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Haha, awesome, someone from evanston!!! the guitar works is pretty sweet

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:34 am

The Museum of Science and Industry is a wonderful place, and it's neighborhood (Hyde Park) is where the University of Chicago is, so it's loaded with interesting bookstores and odd little restaurants.

There is a free weekly rag called The Chicago Reader that has an extensive list of places to eat and shows to see (among other things). It comes out on Thursday evenings, and can generally be found in bookstores and bars that have live music. I see that xonlocust has a link there for you so you won't even need to find a copy.

Enjoy your stay in our fair city!
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

E Car
alignin' 24-trk

Post by E Car » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:19 am

You're in for a good time.

There's a link to gear shops on my web page if you want to do some shopping. I highly recommend Millenium Park, the bean and the video fountain. It's right by the Art Institute so you can go see the van Gogh's as well while you're down there.

You might go check out the blues museum, I believe it's in the old chess recording facility but I haven't been there myself. The old Universal studios in an Urban Outfitters downtown, you could go marvel at the only retail space in town (the world?) with fully isolated floating floors if you'd like :).

Wicker Park is fun to walk around by North, Milwaukee and Damen.

Have fun.

Eben

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:58 pm

klangtone wrote: if you can trek out to Niles there is a place called Minstrel Music (if it still exists). That place was pretty cool too.
Minstrel Music is still in business, though they moved last month. Just up the street though. They're on Milwaukee Avenue, still in Niles.

Also, [shameless plug]Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday you can catch the show I am currently sound-designing, "The Runner Stumbles," presented by Halcyon Theatre company. If you want to see some Chicago black-box theatre this is a good opportunity. It's at Steep Theatre, 3902 N. Sheridan, half a block from the Red Line stop. $15, for reservations call 312-458-9170. We're in tech now, we open Monday.[/shameless plug]
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:49 pm

Go check out the joints mentioned. There's tons of cool things to do in Chicago.

My favorite guitar came from Guitar Works.

--Shameless self promotion==
Saturday night go to the Double Door (Miillwaukee, Damon and North Ave in Wicker Park) I band I co-produce, Backyard Tire Fire, is having an EP release show...