new WHO album

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

new WHO album

Post by Roman Sokal » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:19 am

you can listen to it at this link via streaming...
http://testing.universalmotown.com/thew ... blast.html

what do you think?

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:44 am

Tough call. Objectively, I probably wouldn't give it a second listen. Unfortunately, the Who is my favorite rock band in the universe, so i'm forced to listen more carefully.

It's not BAD. It's certainly good songwriting, but to me it sounds like Roger Daltrey singing on a new Pete Townshend record. One of the most exciting times in my life was the first tour after the Quadrophenia tours where it was just the 5 of them with Zach Starkey on drums. I took a lot of slack as a "blasphemer" because i truly believed that Zach Starkey is pretty much dead on what Keith Moon would be at this point if he were still alive. He plays with the same style yet is more polished and a little bit differently influenced. To me that's what's important. Once John Entwistle died and I saw the first tour with Pino Paladino i was pretty dissapointed. I wasn't expecting John Entwistle, but I was at least expecting the same style. Definately not the case. That style is missing on these new songs.

I'll buy the album. . .it's The Who. . .and i'll probably grow to like it. . .

-James
HWJLHC?

chris almighty
studio intern

Post by chris almighty » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:26 pm

Roger Daltry sounds great on it. Pete too I suppose. The songs aren't very good though. It's thier first album in 24 years, but they havn't put out a GREAT album in probably over 30. I hate to say it but I don't really like the new one at all, but it doesn't ruin theit rep as one of the greatest rocks band EVER!

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:19 pm

hm. i'm headed to the hollywood bowl to see 'em tonight (got free tix from a friend who really likes the new album), i'll report findings if y'all are interested.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:47 pm

Yeah, there's a soft spot in my head for those old tossers, but I couldn't help but think that Roger Daltrey sounded like a deranged old man yammering about walking through some door with a mirror on it on the latest album. It made me sad.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:42 pm

If I didn't miss John Entwistle before hearing these tracks, I sure do now.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:50 am

lg wrote:a friend who really likes the new album
my bad. she's actually just a huge who fan. likes a few of the tracks is all.

ah well, the show...yeah, i miss john as well. pino palladino is fine, but there's no one can really replace entwhistle. zak starkey performed admirably, i thought, and daltrey's voice is strong as ever...and damn, for a 62-year old dude roger's got some serious biceps (no shite). but for me the best thing tonight was pete townshend's incredible enthusiasm, spirit and energy. how he continues to do this i don't know, but if that's growing old i hope i get there someday.

must say, back to this topic, the new songs didn't really pass muster for me (although it's tough when putting anything alongside "i can't explain", "behind blue eyes" or "baba o'reilly")...fwiw a nice surprise was moog cookbook's brian kehew filling in for 'rabbit' bundrick on keyboards. sounded great imo.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:19 am

I like it a lot. Entwhistle and Moon are gone, and they're not coming back-- that's not a fair criticism. Townshend was always the main songwriter, so of course it's going to have his stamp on it-- I always got the impression he was the "mastermind" behind the band, if you will. Compare this to the garbage the Stones keep putting out-- the Who were always much more creative, and still are. I wish there was more (rock) music out there from people their age, but you don't get to do that unless you make it when you're young, and hang in there. I don't feel like the rock that comes out now, even the stuff that's good, speaks to me. Probably because it's made by kids, and I'm not a kid.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:20 pm

ubertar wrote:I like it a lot. Entwhistle and Moon are gone, and they're not coming back-- that's not a fair criticism.

It is a fair comparison, if not a criticism. Which is what I was making.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Hey, Joe. That wasn't necessarily to you. I don't blame you for missing Entwhistle-- and I'm sure they miss him a lot more than any of us.

I guess I just feel at this point, what else are these guys going to do? They could replace the other players with sound-alikes, which would be lame; they could have new players who become equal members and take the band in an entirely new direction (fat chance-- like the fans would stand for that, even if Pete and Roger were up for it, which would be extremely unlikely); or do that last one and not call it the Who-- again, not going to happen. So they're going to do the only thing they can-- focus on the two of them, and let the drums and bass fill things out w/o standing out too much. I think people are expecting too much from these guys-- they're human beings, not supermen.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:09 pm

ubertar wrote:Hey, Joe. That wasn't necessarily to you. I don't blame you for missing Entwhistle-- and I'm sure they miss him a lot more than any of us.

I guess I just feel at this point, what else are these guys going to do? They could replace the other players with sound-alikes, which would be lame; they could have new players who become equal members and take the band in an entirely new direction (fat chance-- like the fans would stand for that, even if Pete and Roger were up for it, which would be extremely unlikely); or do that last one and not call it the Who-- again, not going to happen. So they're going to do the only thing they can-- focus on the two of them, and let the drums and bass fill things out w/o standing out too much. I think people are expecting too much from these guys-- they're human beings, not supermen.
No worries,Paul. I get that, and I had that same reaction about Kenney Jones on "It's Hard." I've always been a proponent of bands continuing on despite death, breakups, loss of popularity--I'm not about to tell a guy he has to go find another job just because his bass player was dumb enough to OD or because his style of music isn't topping charts anymore. I have more respect than most people I know for the bands that had hits in past decades who now make their living playing Summerfests.

all I am saying--and I know you weren't aiming anything at me--is that Entwistle was as integral a part of the Who's sound as any of the other three, and just as I miss Moon's drumming in Who music the past 25 years, I now miss Entwistle's playing as well. This being the first album without him, it's as noticeable as Moon's absence was on "It's Hard."

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:59 pm

i'm impressed with the mini opera more than the other songs at the moment. but i've only listened to it twice. i have a feeling it will grow on me but then again i am a HUGE Who fan. i'll be seeing them this wednesday in san jose. i give them credit for writing new material instead of just being the world's greatest Who tribute band! moon and entwistle are sorely missed but i'm glad they didn't hang it up. townshend seems to be a neverending well of creativity. and roger's voice is aging extremely well.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

chris almighty
studio intern

Post by chris almighty » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:00 pm

I was lucky enough to see The Who in San Diego with Entwhistle. They were great. The Stones are still great live. Better then most young acts today. The Who INVENTED something incredible that's for sure, but if you mix everything they ever did in a hat you'd come up with more crap then gems. Even with Moon. It's those gems that make them one of my all time favorites. I hate the new album, but it doesn't erase what's already out there.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:31 am

i disagree with one of your points. i don't think the who had much "crap." granted, 'it's hard' was a little, well, limp. but everything up to 'who are you' i thought had very few, if any, throwaway songs. just my $0.02
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:07 pm

I'm really digging "Mike Post Theme"...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.