Yo La Tengo, Beat Your Ass

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

penelec
steve albini likes it

Yo La Tengo, Beat Your Ass

Post by penelec » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:28 pm

Has anyone been listening to this? After bending my head to get into recent albums -- and eventually being very happy with 'em -- this one is immediately enjoyable. I expected it to be all over the place, but it's kinda like Ira combed through all his obsessions and made a record that's totally YLT.

I would pay two teeth to see them play this record live. Maybe three.

On a side note, I bought it on vinyl (I know, but at least I don't work in a record store. Much.) and got the "free season pass" online streaming thingy. I'm listening to it right now. Everyone should do this. It's the wave of the future. Appease us album-art vinyl freaks and deliver the intellectual goods you know we're going to burn anyway. Wonderful.
"I mean, not to be a stickler for spelling, but "genitals" is so not a get-what-you-mean-type word. It sounds clinical and dirty and looks clinical and dirty. It must be spelt correctly."

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:00 am

I have always kind of resisted YLT but I finally caved in when I saw that Michael Keaton movie "Game 6" and there were a bunch of older YLT tracks in the soundtrack. Marvelous stuff. It is time to revisit their stuff.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:24 am

They're on tour: http://yolatengo.com/schedule.html

I still think "Painful" is a masterpiece 15 years later. "Fakebook" is arguably the best cover album ever, with great guitar work of Dave Schramm to boot.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:34 am

Yeah...I just saw that they have new material coming out and I am mighty stoked to hear it. YLT are an absolute pinnacle of modern rock and one of my favorite bands. On a good night their live performances are nothing short of transcendent, and even on an "off" night, they are inevitably still pretty great. Reading about this new record, I've got very high expectations. Can't wait! And, yes, they are touring. Go see them! Travel long distances if necessary!

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:48 am

Yeah, incredible band I came to too late - I could've been loving them for so much longer!
As it is, though, I've seen them 4 or 5 times, sometimes traveling long distances to do it, and always well worth it.
Can't wait to hear the new record - is it out on CD yet?
And on a side note, get "the sounds of the sounds of science" if you don't have it. Great stuff improvised to visuals, and a great recording, too. A must.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:44 am

bickle wrote:Yeah, incredible band I came to too late - I could've been loving them for so much longer!
As it is, though, I've seen them 4 or 5 times, sometimes traveling long distances to do it, and always well worth it.
Can't wait to hear the new record - is it out on CD yet?
And on a side note, get "the sounds of the sounds of science" if you don't have it. Great stuff improvised to visuals, and a great recording, too. A must.
I took a look and saw that the new record comes out on the 12th of this month. Gives me a chance to pick it up before I see them next month on their tour. Looking forward to it...for sure.

And yes, the Sounds of Science record is a great record. After letting it soak in over the course of time and a few listens, it's become one of my favorite YLT records. They are definitely one of THE greatest instrumental rock bands. One of my favorite YLT moments occured in a live show I saw a number of years back, after the final tune of the show where they played the instrumental 'I Heard You Looking'. I look over and see this
bad-ass punk rock kind of dude crying and wiping his eyes. His buddies are asking him if he's OK and he just exclaims that "...man, that song was so sad!". Such is the power of YLT and what they can say without speaking a word...

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:11 pm

I think Yo La Tengo is pretty amazing to see live. They really have a great musical rapport with one and other--and they are "small" enough that they play venues where one can see them up-close and be part of it.

I just got their new, unrehearsed / on-the-fly covers album, "Murdering the Classics", which is fun (though it's not an essential YLT album, if you're just getting into them). It is definitely a good record of a band that plays well together--and obviously loves what they're doing and has fun doing it. It reminds me of the Beatles holiday albums--though with more jamming and less talking.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:51 pm

centurymantra wrote:One of my favorite YLT moments occured in a live show I saw a number of years back, after the final tune of the show where they played the instrumental 'I Heard You Looking'. I look over and see this
bad-ass punk rock kind of dude crying and wiping his eyes. His buddies are asking him if he's OK and he just exclaims that "...man, that song was so sad!". Such is the power of YLT and what they can say without speaking a word...
I saw them open for Teenage Fan Club in Minneapolis (circa 1992), and they played I Heard You Looking as the second song of the set, and blew away the crowd- a slack-jawed skateboarder said "Dude, I didn't know they were that good".

I'd rank that instrumental right up there with Husker Du's Reoccuring Dreams as the best postpunk instrumentals of all time.

nosamiam
audio school

Post by nosamiam » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:51 pm

I've seen them several times and I've never been disappointed. I even saw them twice in one day!: once at a record (vinyl!!!) store followed by that night at a club. I also caught a "The Sounds of the Sounds of Science" date. That was incredible! One of the coolest shows I've ever seen. I was in the 2nd row so I was able to check out all the gear.

They are simply one of the best bands out there live, IMO.

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:56 am

They traditionally do a series of Hanukkah shows at Maxwell's in Hoboken (8 nights). That is definitely the place to see them, I've done it twice-both fantastic. Once David Byrne sat in, the other, David Cross. Puny little club, good food out front.

From their current schedule, it appears they'll be free at the end of December!

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk