In Praise of our Wonderful Moderators!!!

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:17 pm

This must be a joke, yeah?? Praise the cops?

My post here is in praise to the last tapeop messageboard, the one that worked and was good. This one no worky so well.
beware bee wear

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:37 pm

joeysimms wrote:This must be a joke, yeah?? Praise the cops?

My post here is in praise to the last tapeop messageboard, the one that worked and was good. This one no worky so well.
In all sincerity - take this as a point of departure for discussion - why are you still here then?

Garthplinko
gettin' sounds

Post by Garthplinko » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:27 pm

My experience: I had a message board on my site about our (generally shitty) local underground music scene for a few years and left it unmoderated for a long time with only the occaisonal flare ups.

Then the assholes showed up. They made lots of rascist/homophobic remarks and diatribes thereby driving away lots of the people that came to discuss music etc. I was bitterly forced to decide how I felt about who the message board belonged to, what purpose it served, and confront personal feelings about what freedom of speech really meant.

In the end, we shut the thing down because the drama was working against the real intent of what it served: fostering a music community in our area. Helping each other out. Creating positive networking environment.

If I were to do it again, I would have very clear preset guidelines about appropriate content and moderators to make sure this was happening. I think the moderators here are doing a VERY good job not being too heavy handed by deleting the posts of internet trolls on a whim (example: the "thin compressor" post). Believe me, the last thing any moderator wants to do (and I say this from experience) is have some ridiculous confrontation on the internet.

If you don't like how the "cops" work here, I'll say what I said to the people that ruined my website: Start your own. You're not entitled to this message board, you're a guest, just like everyone else.
"Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good."

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:29 pm

mjau wrote:
joeysimms wrote:This must be a joke, yeah?? Praise the cops?

In all sincerity - take this as a point of departure for discussion - why are you still here then?
Even tho the board is worse now, there's the occasional good post/thread.
beware bee wear

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:34 pm

What is it about the new board that you think is "worse".

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:58 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:What is it about the new board that you think is "worse".
There's too many forums now, it was better when there was just general recording. the 'mega'board option looks horrible.

It's nearly impossible to have a discussion about 'recording techniques' that does not involve 'gear talk', and vice versa..
beware bee wear

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:10 pm

joeysimms wrote:
It's nearly impossible to have a discussion about 'recording techniques' that does not involve 'gear talk', and vice versa..
true, but i dont think there's anything wrong with a little crosstalk. i wasnt a huge fan of the specialization of the boards when it happened, but I think its kind of cool now. If you make a thread that has implications in terms of both gear and technique, your decision to place it in one or the other forum will affect what kind of responses you will likely get. same with the computer forum. its just one way to focus things a little more

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:23 pm

joeysimms wrote:
rhythm ranch wrote:What is it about the new board that you think is "worse".
There's too many forums now, it was better when there was just general recording. the 'mega'board option looks horrible.

I really like it better this way because it distingushes TOMB from gearslutz. I like gearslutz and check in over there too but for different reasons than the TOMB.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:56 pm

What's going on here? Could someone please unlock the d.funk thread!
-Matthew Macchio$tab

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:41 pm

I refuse to participate as long as long as they keep that silly vertical line down the middle of the page. SO annoying. After this post I mean. No more. Unless I have to.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:33 am

swingdoc wrote:I refuse to participate as long as long as they keep that silly vertical line down the middle of the page. SO annoying. After this post I mean. No more. Unless I have to.
That's the edge of a reel flange. C'mon, how Tape Op can you get?

Seriously, how much does it bug you?

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:06 pm

drumsound wrote:That's the edge of a reel flange. C'mon, how Tape Op can you get?

Seriously, how much does it bug you?
Its insufferable. It keeps my left brain from communicating with my right. Or vice versa.
But c'mon, a vertical line amongst text? kill it.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:47 pm

swingdoc wrote:.... kill it.
Hey, you're a doctor. Do no harm, and all that?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:21 pm

wow, ive never really payed much attention to it till doc said something. Man that line is annoying, now its all i can look at.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:56 pm

:::yawn:::
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=28085
the response was uncanny.

funny how things go in 1 year cycles...