What Did You Work On Today? 11-11-06

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 11-11-06

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:31 pm

So, what were you all up to today? (Saturday.)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:53 pm

I assisted the live sound guy at a concert at carthage college today. It was fun. Learned some things and did a bunch of heavy lifting.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:19 pm

I did some editing in the morning and then went warm clothes shopping.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:23 pm

Mastered a full-length metal album - Then a death-metal single (must've been a special on metal today) -

Then ran live sound for the closing night of "Singin' in the Rain" at the SPCA. No joke.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:27 am

sat in the goddamn van all day driving from springfield, mo back to chicago after a quick weekendish jaunt.

found out that the pilot truck stop in somewhere on I55 in illinois has daydream nation and the rapture's first record for sale.

in a truckstop.

in the middle of nowhere.

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:28 am

A heavy metal band I've been working with came and did vocal tracks on 3 songs tonight.
Tangent Studios

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:46 am

i spent the whole weekend at the milkhouse recording the first song of a four song EP by The Peasantry [myspace.com/thepeasantry]

kind of like the police actually. the stuff on myspace are demos of the record I am doing.

eary this morning [four am] i had a session at berklee where the band didnt show up. no sleep johnny.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:59 am

I recorded a lo-fi rock band called The Bleeding Hands. It was the first time that I ever received instructions to make it sound "shittier."

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:18 am

i think bands asking for 'shittier' is totally valid. i did a record recently where the client (a friend) said, upon hearing my first mixes, "i think the problem is that i just get used to the way things sound, and you like to make things sound GOOD."

we had a good laugh. and then i followed orders.

anyway, yesterday i recorded me playing drums. for another friends record that i'm mixing. did a few takes out in my big room, with my standard micing scenario, and they were fine, but i decided i'm totally bored with the big roomy drum sound (everyone recording in basements and tiny rooms is giving me the finger right now. i know. i suck.) so i moved my drums into my bedroom and started anew. more of the same today.

playing a convincingly swinging reggae groove for 5 minutes straight is HARD.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:10 am

Might have caused a fire, played a benefit show.

I had a gig. IN Norfolk Va. I was running a little late. Went to guitar center and bought a Radial Passive DI so I wouldn't have to bring my rack. Get that, trying it out just before I leave, (sweet) and my acoustic electric keeps making a shorting sound. I figured I better fix it, I find the short, but I don't have my tools in my space. So I go upstairs to the music store I rent the space from And ask if I could use their bench. Sure. So I'm rushing cause I'm going to be late, plus the stores closing and those guys want to leave (to get to their gigs). I finish the repair on my guitar right after 6:30, rush out of there, the guy closes the store and I hit the road.
20 minutes later I'm talking on the phone to my friend telling him the story and right at the end I just happen to think "OH MY GOD I DIDN"T TURN OFF THE IRON!"

Well, It's in the stand, it's not going to be a problem really, but still I needed to let someone know. Called the owner on his cell, who is out of town, he wasen't really happy about the situation. lol. But he tells me that the power to the bench is controled by the lights in the back room and as long as they are off the power is off - set up just for this situation. Smart man. So as long as the last guy to leave turned off the lights no worries.

Well I haven't gotten a call about any fire so I think I'm ok.

The gig. I open up the show with a solo acoustic set. Then It's this Metal Band called White Raven. Totally twisted mix of stuff. Werd. Then it's a sort of Rockabilly group. Rev. D and the Shockers. (Think Rev horton heat meets Zappa) Who was so awsome. Then It's RoosterFist - Fake cock rock from the future. Total Spinal Tap meets Gwar with even more hair and kitch. WTF?
Well, what else do you exspect from the annual Junior Diabeties Research Foundation Rockathon!
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:14 am

I recorded an indie band of all 15 year olds, where the lyric "im old and tired" did get sung... so im really just personally confused about the whole ordeal.

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:34 am

wrote a 10 pg essay on why nursing/long-term care in america is currently inadequate.

i was high off ritalin andcouldnt sleep till 430am

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:34 pm

Nothing job-related! Well, not exactly, see below, but it's been a very busy week so it was nice to do very little on Saturday.

But I did go to the shop, to do a bit of work on a very cool old office chair I've been rebuilding. When I'm done it'll be my chair at work.

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:06 am

tracked some stuff alone for a cover i am doing of a friends song. i made up a pseudo-jazzy piano solo that i had no idea i had in me.

AudioHog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AudioHog » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:41 am

Discovered the joy of flying faders. Just installed the projectmix at the studio and afetr a few hardware glitches, we were flying. Woohoo! Then, soldering :roll: