Best All-Around Guitar Amp ~$1000

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:03 pm

you can often score a silverface deluxe reverb for under a grand. Get it modded back to blackface specs or do it yourself (easy and cheap) and you will have something approaching the best all-around guitar amp ever made in the opinion of myself (and many others) which is a blackface deluxe reverb.

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:30 pm

Amps are funny. I say go out and try a bunch of amps. You're bound to find one that you connect with. I found an old Ampeg Reverberocket about 14 years ago which I paid $80 for. I recapped it and put a Vintage 30 in it. Its one of the best amps I've ever owned. Lately I run Yellowjackets and EL84's in it, although it sounded great with the stock 7591A's. The point is, all tube amps, even of the same brand/year are different, especially older ones. This is the result of aging components and whatever "mods" were done to it. That said, I get much more use out of my Line 6 Flextone than I do out of my Ampeg because of volume issues, but its nice to know I have a great sounding tube amp when I really need it.

CA

ramchandra
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ramchandra » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:11 am

I saw Retrobution Gospel Choir (one of Alan Sparhawks side projects) he was using a Traynor amp and I loved it. Definetly one of my favorite guitar tones now. Sometimes really abrasive (depends on the pedals though) distortion other times really thick and musical. I want one.

syrupcore
deaf.

Re: Best All-Around Guitar Amp ~$1000

Post by syrupcore » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:33 am

inverseroom wrote:
SonicDave wrote:You'[ll think youre cool and so you'll be dragging that damn heavy thing around with you till you finally give up and then youll buy a pod and run it through the board. And then you'll get married and get a job selling floor tile. And then, well, it's too horrible to think about.
The words "stunning debut" come to mind. Strong post, SonicDave.
for real!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Cowbell Anarchy wrote:Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. I decided on a Fender Super Sonic Combo. Pretty faithful aproximations to the Bassman and Vibrolux tones to my ears (I A/Bed them with the real things in the store), and a scortching dirty channel! Now, time to ration my supply of Ramen noodles to last me a few months.
Excellent choice. I was impressed with it when I took one for a test spin recently. Wide variety of tone, all good, and plenty for club volume.

Who knows, you may have saved yourself a couple of pedals.

Have fun!

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:28 pm

Your original post specified a max budget of a thousand bucks, great clean sound, good breakup when pushed, and a reasonable volume for studio and clubs.

I DON'T think a twin will get that combination (breakup at reasonable volume? nope.)

Instead try a Fender Vibrolux Reverb. The blackface model is the holy grail but out of the price range. The Silverface version can be found in your pricerange. It's one of the few silverfaced model that CBS didn't screw up. (They never made a 'master volume' version.)

Shimmering clean, great verb and tremelo, snarles when pushed, ad a boost pedal in front and you have tight rock distortion, a fuzz and you have howling feedback freakout, ad an octave box and fuzz and you have "Neil Young my amp is gonna explode" chaos. All at reasonable volumes.

The same is true for the Pro Reverb but I prefer the sound of the 2 10"s.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:45 pm

Just in case anyone else is reading this looking for a versatile recording amp:

THD Univalve.

I think you can even get it for around a grand. This amp sounds GREAT, includes a built-in THD HotPlate and can take a wide range of tubes for different flavors.

Short of that, the most versatile preamp circuit I've ever heard is the Rivera preamp design (one channel is like Marshall, the other like Fender). I own and use a Riveral Fandango and it's a sweet amp.

The best amp sounds are always the one-trick-ponies. NOTHING does Marshall Plexi like a Marshall Plexi or a clone (Fuchs?) Nothing but a Dumble is a Dumble. Nothing but a Twin or Super is a Twin or Super.

And finally, nothing but a Komet Konstellation 30 is a Konstellation 30. Man that amp gives me goose bumps.

Todd Wilcox

jeremyj
audio school graduate

Post by jeremyj » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:51 am

I've been using "The Champ" for just about everything

my personal fave

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:43 pm

Seriously.... Just try a silver-faced Vibrolux Reverb. I think it's what you are looking for.

And the recent blackface vibrolux reverb with the white knobs is a completely different animal. NOT what you are looking for. It breaks up too soon and lacks headroom. An entirely different amp. Not even sure why they gave it the same name.

Repeat after me, "Silverface Vibrolux Reverb".

zekmoe
audio school graduate

Post by zekmoe » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:02 pm

No twin or super reverb is a great amp for gigging these days unless you live on large stages and play blues. Limited, loud and dated. Smaller 18 watt amps are where it's at, and ones that take to pedals well. I have about a dozen amps for recording and jamming with, and my go to in the lower range is a Dr Z maz18 Jr. Simple yet versitile. Works with many guitars and pedals. Downside it's a little heavy. I'd also consider a ToneKing, but those are way higher than the 1g range. Maz's new are around 1300 I think +- a little. Worth the extra IMHO.
Bob
Not a downstroke, fistpicker.

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:24 pm

Likewise, my Dr Z Carmen Ghia is pretty much my go-to amp for most stuff. between that and a Victoria champ, they pretty much cover my bases. Every once in a while i think i need to play a diff amp, and after that gets old, i plug into the Ghia and realize why i bought that amp in the first place. Awesome!