I have too much stuff

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:40 pm

Getting back to gear, though. I don't really have that much to complain about. Because for the most part I get alot of pleasure from my music stuff, and it constitutes a pretty small fragment of the waste that will eventually go into a giant landfill. And it's alot less of a hassle than the some of the other shit to maintain, particularly my cars (but I'm getting rid of one of them). Whatever. I'm sorry I've been antagonistic, and hurt your feelings. :(

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:49 pm

hammertime wrote:Let's see what i have. I have an mbox that I never use with Pro Tools Le 6.4. It was actually pretty cool for what it was. Works fine. A DAW workstation desk that I got at Guitar Center on one of those once-in-a-lifetime deals. I think I paid 150 for it or something, and it's nicer than one's that cost about 10 times as much. A layla 20 interface that works fine, but you could get a much better sounding interface today for a hundred bucks (I'll probably give that to my buddy). Come to think of it, I'm not really using the Layla 24 anymore. Some apogee rosetta 44.1 converters from around the year 2000. A Mackie CR 1604 that I don't really use anymore, although I could see potentially using it down the road. About a billion music books/recording books/books and a wall full of philosophy books by Nietzsche/Heidegger/Bataille/Dostoyevsky that drive everyone out of the room when you start talking about them. A bunch of furniture and mementos from about a hundred years (literally) of middle class living. Just alot of stuff. Old computers -- and by old P 3 1 Ghz, P3 866, P4 2.4 ghz (I'm thinking of just giving these away).
syrupcore wrote:craigslist? tape op? Offer it up cheap and now that you're making some one's day. ebay is a pain in the ass.
think youd wanna sell those apogees cheap? 8)

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:34 am

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote: You kind of sound like my wife telling me to get rid of all the spare computer parts around here. I even have two boxes full of broken electronic stuff that for some reason I think one day I will turn into a monster robot or something. I've been in the slow process of figuring out what I really want to hold on to. Our house just isn't big enough for it all. I'm throwing plywood down in the attic for more floor space to hold more crap that's only going to melt in the billion degree summers here.
I suppose I'm lucky in a way that I live with my wife in a modest condo. It forces me to think carefully about adding new purchases to an already overcrowded scene.

And I'm with you all on getting rid of stuff. We have moved once for every year we've been together, and I always take it as an opportunity to jettison some junk. We asked our families not to get us anything for Christmas this year. No more stuff!
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:20 am

Actually, I wouldn't mind. Go ahead and make an offer. I don't really want to check my private messages, though, because I have a message there, presumably from that cgarges dude for calling him a controlling dick and not congragulating him on his marriage. He's not that bad of a guy, though, or he probably would have banned me a long time ago, not that it matters because I'm not going to have a computer for a while, so you wont' be hearing from the hammer for a while.
out of tune wrote:
hammertime wrote:Let's see what i have. I have an mbox that I never use with Pro Tools Le 6.4. It was actually pretty cool for what it was. Works fine. A DAW workstation desk that I got at Guitar Center on one of those once-in-a-lifetime deals. I think I paid 150 for it or something, and it's nicer than one's that cost about 10 times as much. A layla 20 interface that works fine, but you could get a much better sounding interface today for a hundred bucks (I'll probably give that to my buddy). Come to think of it, I'm not really using the Layla 24 anymore. Some apogee rosetta 44.1 converters from around the year 2000. A Mackie CR 1604 that I don't really use anymore, although I could see potentially using it down the road. About a billion music books/recording books/books and a wall full of philosophy books by Nietzsche/Heidegger/Bataille/Dostoyevsky that drive everyone out of the room when you start talking about them. A bunch of furniture and mementos from about a hundred years (literally) of middle class living. Just alot of stuff. Old computers -- and by old P 3 1 Ghz, P3 866, P4 2.4 ghz (I'm thinking of just giving these away).
syrupcore wrote:craigslist? tape op? Offer it up cheap and now that you're making some one's day. ebay is a pain in the ass.
think youd wanna sell those apogees cheap? 8)

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:52 am

hammertime wrote:Yeah, I'm sorry I'm not the pollyanna I should be. I should probably agree with everybody when they say how much they like some worthless garbage like Bruce Springsteen or Paul McCartney's latest bullshit album. I'd probably be happier. Fuck, if I liked flopping down on the couch and listening to the Grateful Dead, I'd probably be happier in Chico. Dude. Really. I'm restless. I'm unhappy. I'm pissed off. There's no other way to be. Because there's just too many fucking people. And I have too much stuff. Yeah, yeah. Too much stuff. Whoooooo! I ... Havee.... too much (isn't that Dave Mathewss?)
Time to recalibrate the meds? :D

PS Chico probably won't cut it. A contractor of mine from work bailed for Baja from Chico.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:04 am

hammertime wrote:I don't really want to check my private messages, though, because I have a message there, presumably from that cgarges dude for calling him a controlling dick and not congragulating him on his marriage.
You know, I was actually gonna try to make a serious contribution to this thread...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:21 pm

ugh. uncomfortable moment. uh, how 'bout them pats?

anyway....

if that mbox/protools needs a home. i know a guy :)

i'm down with the whole 'stuff' thing. dunno if any of you guys have kids, but i've got three under three. loooots of other peoples stuff comes to live in your house from when you have kids. other people just unload on you. its crazy! we just did a major purge. way more to come. how many clothes do these chillens need anyway? sheesh! :) thats when i start wondering why we need 20 forks in our kitchen drawer, twelve towles in the bathroom - stuff like that.

a while ago i caught a segment on NPR about this guy who builds tiny houses. i checked his site and had 'tiny house' fantasies for about six months. they're pretty rad:

www.tumbleweedtinyhouses.com

Jon

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:23 pm

Dude, take the mic stand out of your butt and simmer down. To be honest, at a certain point in this forum, I decided to be the biggest asshole possible, because a couple of time's I asked for help (I admit I don't know everything), and I got some really smart-ass, ungracious replies. If there's anything I know ( there's some gear I own, or info about where I live etc), I usually share that info, regardless of who's asking, even people I don't have much respect for. So, I don't know who you are, or really give a shit. If you can't take different opinions, even obnoxious ones, you really aren't worth talking to. So, fuck you.
kayagum wrote:
hammertime wrote:Yeah, I'm sorry I'm not the pollyanna I should be. I should probably agree with everybody when they say how much they like some worthless garbage like Bruce Springsteen or Paul McCartney's latest bullshit album. I'd probably be happier. Fuck, if I liked flopping down on the couch and listening to the Grateful Dead, I'd probably be happier in Chico. Dude. Really. I'm restless. I'm unhappy. I'm pissed off. There's no other way to be. Because there's just too many fucking people. And I have too much stuff. Yeah, yeah. Too much stuff. Whoooooo! I ... Havee.... too much (isn't that Dave Mathewss?)
Time to recalibrate the meds? :D

PS Chico probably won't cut it. A contractor of mine from work bailed for Baja from Chico.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:44 pm

Hey, I'm in the market for an Apogee converter, too. How much you want for one? You can respond to the email in my profile, if you're interested.

Barring that, definitely donate to some young musicians around town - they'll remember you forever!

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:03 pm

You could probably find better converters out there. It was manufactured about 7 years ago. I haven't compared them, but I just bought the emu 1616m, and it sounds good enough for me (plus it has a higher sampling rate). Maybe I'll just keep it. Most of my music gear, I'm pretty happy with. The only stuff that's really useless is older computer gear/software. But I don't have too much.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:12 pm

you can't touch this.....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:49 pm

hammertime wrote:you really aren't worth talking to. So, fuck you.
Oh, the irony.

CG

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:57 pm

if you wanna send me an email with the model of the apogee, i will make an offer.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:52 pm

So here's an actual on-topic comment:

I went to the electronics recycler today, and unloaded 72 lbs of broken and obsolete electronics to be recycled. Everything from a Radio Shack FM Wireless kit to a broken minidisc player, and practically everything in between. I swear, the spare computer mice bred in my junk box. I also had 3 separate hard drives scrubbed and destroyed.

It was one of the most liberating experiences I've ever had.

All that junk was preventing me from getting my studio organized. Now I can proceed.

Do yourself a favor, and sell, consign, give away or properly recycle/dispose of anything you're not using. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

The simplest rule is if you haven't used in the last 12 months, it has to go.

So go ahead, hammertime, tell me to... oh, never mind. :D

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:16 pm

Wow, where to start? I guess I'll start with the combination of your decision to be the biggest a-hole on the board, then your announcement that you're not going to have a computer for a while. So the position is going to be opening up... maybe I'll apply. So here goes:

Hey you dingleberry, go stick your head in the oven. Your board name is even stupider than mine, and most people here wouldn't help you if you had a flat tire in the rain. How does that make you feel, huh?

Hmm... that's the best I can do and I don't think it's nearly harsh enough. I suppose I'll never get to be the biggest a-hole on tapeop.com

So on to the actual topic, you wretched hippie-felating bag of negativity:

There's a thing on Yahoo called FreeCycle. It's divided up into local regions and you can list stuff that you're looking to give away to a good home. My wife does it here in NJ and today she unloaded about 4 or 5 big ol' boxes of baby toys to people who were super happy to get it. I would think that an older computer would be really useful to someone who has kids; for cd-rom games and the like. Heck, that P4 2.4 gHz isn't that far outside the realm of what's for sale still. You could really make some young kid's holiday/birthday with that stuff.

Jim