001 converters worth re-clocking?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

001 converters worth re-clocking?

Post by bantam » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:49 pm

anyone tried this? I could get an ADAt tango24 if it would stable things out a little bit. wondered if the converters would clean up, im forced to use this into my ramsa 16 channel board for the last 8 channels at mixing.

thanks

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:20 pm

Actually, that's the very setup i have. Just got the tango a few weeks ago, so i haven't been able to compare. From the get-go, i've clocked my 001 with a digimax via optical cable, and it's worked great. You could do the same with the Tango, just adat out for the clock to the pci interface in your computer, and then another adat optical cable sending the other 8 outs to the Tango, to fan out to the Ramsa. Should work fine. Let us know how it goes.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:37 pm

I tried this with my apogee rosetta's and my layla 24 a while back. I really thought I'd hear a difference if I used the apogee's clock. So I hooked up a BNC cable for the wordclock sync, and a cable for the spdif, and I let her go. I couldn't hear any difference between the layla's internal clock and the rosetta's -- and I mean nothing. I'd switch instantaneously between the rosetta's clock (both via spdif and the wordclock) and the Layla's, and there was absolutely no difference. I really think alot of this clock stuff is blown out of proportion. A clock is really useful, even necessary, for synchronizing multiple digital devices, but as a determinant of sound quality, I'm not buying it. Using different converters is another matter. The apogee's do sound better than the layla. Don't believe it until you hear it.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:12 pm

I also think maybe the clock stuff is blown out of proportion..when I did a test it was a super slight difference for the better..but I was comparing one track..not a ton stacked up..which would be the true test..slightly better over 24 tracks very well could be a night and day jump up in quality..

the only way to be sure is to actually try it..

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:39 pm

I did it with the multi-track demo's that came with Sonar 5 and Cubase SX 1 -- I think they had maybe 10 tracks at the most. I imagine there could be a sound difference if you're syncing multiple devices -- I can't really say, because I've never used the 001. I've heard recordings done on them, and I thought they sounded decent enough.
Toolshed of Death wrote:I also think maybe the clock stuff is blown out of proportion..when I did a test it was a super slight difference for the better..but I was comparing one track..not a ton stacked up..which would be the true test..slightly better over 24 tracks very well could be a night and day jump up in quality..

the only way to be sure is to actually try it..

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:06 pm

I personally have heard the difference quite drastically.

I clock my HD3 rig, including the apogee converters, to an AArdsync II because it simply sounds better, regardless of any of the conjecture and advertising bullshit.

When I am mixing something with a zillion tracks, and I switch to internal clock source, I lose definition, clarity, and spatial information (width/depth).

I have no idea how much you will give a crap about it, nor can I guess whether you would hear it, but I do, and I am not trying to hear it. It is obvious to everyone in the room. Like "woah" and not just "yeah, I think i can tell, do it again."

This is also a case where the signal stands up to further processing better when I am clocked, just like a nice mic pre will "sit" better in the mix vs a cheap one. They will both work, and not even sound THAT different sometimes from each other, but when you load up a bunch of tracks recorded with 1081's, and then you load up a bunch of tracks recorded with a mackie, you certainly hear the difference. DDid I care about the pre for the tambourine part? not really, but that doesnt make it okay to not care about ANY of this stuff....

Try it out. If it doesnt make you excited move on....

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:08 pm

I think Toolshed might be referring to comparing the build up of multiple tracks recorded through devices with different clocks. This would be a much different test than listening back to tracks all recorded through the same a/d & clock and then only switching the clock on playback. The second way you are only listening to the clock difference on the stereo bus. The 1st way you are listening to the accumulation of clock differences over x number of tracks. What you might not hear in a stereo test could be a huge difference when you go to mix a bunch of tracks.

I had a 001 and was happy with the increase in clairity in my recordings when I started using a RME ADI-8... but then again I started using the RME converters way more than the 001's so I'm not sure how much was just the clocking difference.

-J

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:41 am

I clock my 001 to an old Finalizer. I even hear a difference with that. Much in the way Joel mentioned above.

Also the finalizer's A/D is a step up as well. So just using it for those two functions has made it well worth the $150 i paid. score.

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:18 pm

kinda related...
a while ago i was emailing with black lion audio and they said they might be able to upgrade the converters only (not the clock) in the 001. if you get a decent clock and the mod i think itd be a solid setup if you wanna stick with the 001.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:38 pm